Help Getting Started (1 Viewer)

FamilyMan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2009
Funster No
Hi,

We have saved some funds and are planning a UK/Euro trip for summer 2010 before my oldest kid is in school full time.

Had plenyy of caravan/camping holidays as a kid but never ventured into a motorhome in my life.

Plan is to take as much time of work as we can afford and spend as long on the road as we (me, the wife and 2 kids (will be 3.5 and 4.5years old then)) 'can stand.'

Loose plan is to take off 6-8 weeks minimum (this is a bit of a stab in the dark) and dodge around the UK/Scotland/Europe.

Considering this decent length of trip and bearing in mind they are not cheap to rent I am seriously considering purchasing it (and maybe selling it after the big trip although if we enjoy it we will probably keep it for future use).

So some questions I would appreciate help from anyone who has had similar trips/experiences are:

1. Is a 6-8 week trip advisable/enjoyable especially given the wee ones will be in tow? If not what is the max recommended?

2. Realise there are many different types/models (a- c- class, etc) but any ideas on a decent sized MH to give a gecent spacious trip? Is a 4 berther sufficient?

3. What type of money would it take to hire and but such a beast? (I guestimated c£500p/w to hire and 10-15k to buy a decent 4 berth)

3. Any good sites which can help us plan the trip?

4. Anything else to consider?

I plan to visit a local delaer (live in Aberdeen and there are 2) so I guess they can answer some of these Q's but hoped for a head start here.

Oh an we plan to get married on the way also....maybe a harder quesiton to answer so maybe dont go there..

Thanks in advance.

FamilyMan

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hiring

Hi Family Man:winky:
Welcome to Fun. I think you will be lucky to hire a van in the summer months for £500 per week unless you can get someone to do a deal for a long time hire. We hired in June 2008 for 3 weeks from a small company local to us in North Yorkshire and managed to regotiate a good rate, we came back and bought our own van as we were hooked. Maybe you should try and hire for a long weekend first so the family can try it before you commit to buying.
With your own van you would have to buy everything you need to equip it and organise insurance etc so you would need to be sure it is for you. I would look at a 6 berth so that you have plenty of room for the kids if it is a wet day and you could always get an awning for extra storage if you are parked up for a couple of days.
I could ramble on all day about how exciting it all is but that you will all find out for yourself. Good Luck-Sue :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi,

We have saved some funds and are planning a UK/Euro trip for summer 2010 before my oldest kid is in school full time.

Had plenyy of caravan/camping holidays as a kid but never ventured into a motorhome in my life.

Plan is to take as much time of work as we can afford and spend as long on the road as we (me, the wife and 2 kids (will be 3.5 and 4.5years old then)) 'can stand.'

Loose plan is to take off 6-8 weeks minimum (this is a bit of a stab in the dark) and dodge around the UK/Scotland/Europe.

Considering this decent length of trip and bearing in mind they are not cheap to rent I am seriously considering purchasing it (and maybe selling it after the big trip although if we enjoy it we will probably keep it for future use).

So some questions I would appreciate help from anyone who has had similar trips/experiences are:

1. Is a 6-8 week trip advisable/enjoyable especially given the wee ones will be in tow? If not what is the max recommended?

2. Realise there are many different types/models (a- c- class, etc) but any ideas on a decent sized MH to give a gecent spacious trip? Is a 4 berther sufficient?

3. What type of money would it take to hire and but such a beast? (I guestimated c£500p/w to hire and 10-15k to buy a decent 4 berth)

3. Any good sites which can help us plan the trip?

4. Anything else to consider?

I plan to visit a local delaer (live in Aberdeen and there are 2) so I guess they can answer some of these Q's but hoped for a head start here.

Oh an we plan to get married on the way also....maybe a harder quesiton to answer so maybe dont go there..

Thanks in advance.

FamilyMan

Hi and Welcome, :thumb:, My own personel views,,

We did a 6 week tour of Scotland and parts of the north of England,, and were pushed to fit in all the places we wanted to see,,
So I dont think 6-8weeks will be long enough.

Regarding Buying/Hireing, I think once you have tried it you will find it is great and if you buy you could make a few £££ when you sell, If you sell,, Great way of seeing the country especially for kids,, just make sure you have some sort of entertainment for them when on the move, at that age they will soon get bored.

In other words, Buy,, 6-8 weeks touring the UK,, having bought you can do weekend rally`s and trips,, then next year plan a European trip.

I should think some European M.H owners will be along to give you some pointers on which will be best for you and your family..

Good luck with whatever you choose..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
FamilyMan

UK you can do UK when the kids are at school, maybe all you can do because of limited time and high costs of school holiday. So my vote goes for a big sweep of Europe. I'm biassed towards Italy so my advice is go straight down to the campsite outside Pompeii. See the start of civilised Europe with all mod cons. Then amble back. Rome. Across to the glorious beaches of Rimini, Venice, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands.

You can do France later, it's close.

PM John at John's Cross, one of the Good Guys, The Boss, if anyone can do you a good deal, maybe hire you a not so popular stock vehicle, he can.

OP
OP
F

FamilyMan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2009
Funster No
Folks - That is some great advice there, just what I was after.

Vera(Sue),

Cheers, I was planning a long weekend hire to ‘try before I buy!’

Going for a 6 berth is a good tip, cost permitting of course…..any folk with rough price bandings / suitable types of models would be well appreciated.

What else is required other than insurance? We are 30 and 40 somethings so hopefully the insurance wont be too onerous…

Old-mo,

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines, Euro first UK if time permits. Haven’t fully worked out my reserves but mat be able to go for more than 6-8 weeks.

Re: entertainment – we have a folder full of kids DVDs, etc so are well equipment in that department!!

Hilldweller,

We visited Italy west coast (Formia, Sperlonga, Gieta) pre-kids and the missus is keen to go back so that is a good shout. Only thing is Italy is v hot (for the kids) maybe May time would be okay..

Any more tips on routes and good places to plan stops/camp sites would be superb.

Ta again

FM

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
May time would be okay..
FM

That's one reason why we will be there in May, drop in :Smile:

Link Removed

In case you don't know Peter at John's Cross yet here is a bit more:

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi no advise as to destinations etc, but whatever you do go for comfort,which is all about layout.Some 6 berths are smaller than 4.There are only 4 of you so a 4er will be fine :winky:To us a dinette is a complete waste of space (uncomfortable to sit at for anything other than eating) but you may find it handy with the kids.We like feet up relaxing hence the van we have now.Layout layout layout
terry

OP
OP
F

FamilyMan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2009
Funster No
That's one reason why we will be there in May, drop in :Smile:

Link Removed

In case you don't know Peter at John's Cross yet here is a bit more:

Link Removed

Thanks for that!

Just doing a wee bit of budget planning can you or anyone put you neck on the line and suggest an on the road cost to set aside for the likes of Diesel and site costs?? rough banding is good!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome familyman.

i agree with terry on one point......the layout.

a 6 berth will probably give you a little more room (but not always)and the dinnette area, while not very comfy to sit for any length of time, is a must for the extra bed it creates , in my mind, due to the ages of your kids.

the overcab bed may not be suitable for youngsters.....its a long way down if your only 3 feet tall (also for adults if you wake in the night and forget where you are and roll out:Eeek:) and quite a few arent big enough for two adults.

a 'U' shaped rear lounge will give you the best relaxing seating and also covert to a large double bed or two singles for yourselves while the dinette will make beds for the kids.

but more importantly is the belted seats and the type of belts fitted.

obviously the kids will need to be strapped in and in child seats so the belt type will be very important.

the two forward facing dinette seats should have 3 point belts but you will need to check your child seats for security in these.
because of the soft seat cushions some arent suitable.

also, old-mo is spot on.....
6 weeks isnt long enough for a decent tour of scotland never mind england and europe as well unless you just drive and dont see anything.

we aimed on 5 days to south east spain via south of france and we did it easy (from calais, 200 miles per day average, late starts and early arrivals) but we saw nothing except what was in view as we travelled along.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that!

Just doing a wee bit of budget planning can you or anyone put you neck on the line and suggest an on the road cost to set aside for the likes of Diesel and site costs?? rough banding is good!

a european C class (overcab bed) 2.5ltr diesel should return 22/25mpg ish depending on how driven.
and as an example...30ft american A class....7/10mpg (if your lucky:Eeek:)

site fees vary......
large, holiday village type sites with cabaret and restaraunts etc...maybe £20 to £30 per night.
caravan club sites...maybe £15 to £20 per night.
private sites....maybe £10 to £15

all depends what you want....basic usually cheap...all singing /dancing....usually expensive.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back