propane in uk (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
as most of you will know the calor propane in the uk has got an odd fitment which means you have to fiddle about if you are anywhere else

I only use the standard european thread for either butane or propane [ like the 4.5 Kg calor dumpy butane ]
isn't there anyone else in the uk selling propane with the normal thread , and perhaps a decent sized butane as well ..there must be several brands available , surely

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
does no response mean there aren't any other brands of gas in the uk , or am I just being precipitate :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi , in the UK all brands of Propane have the same fitting (left PSP thread)
adapters are available to convert to UK bayonet LPG fitting.
Bottle are available in sizes from 6-18 kilos

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Lebesset.

We use auto gas directley from the the garage pump. Ive never had a problem and so have never investigated the alternatives.

I have an arv and so I use an adapter between the pump and the gas tank. There are people on here that are quite good on gas etc. If you dont get a response try a search, there have been a number of threads on the forum re this subject.

Jim

:Smile:

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
thanks all , I ran on lpg for 25 years so am familiar with all the systems and wrinkles

just wanted to be able to bolt on a local bottle if I came to the uk ...seems I can't except in n.ireland where they use the spanish system

no problem really , will just fill my spanish bottle

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
precipitate

Must try using that word. I'll have to write it down so that I can look it up when I get home.

Jim

:roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you may need one of
Link Removed
or
Link Removed
these fit UK TYPE BOTTLES
It is best you fit the adapter to your bottle before going into the garage and leave the bottle in the gas locker to fill as it is not as acceptable to fill bottles in the UK as in other places abroad :thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: THE ADAPTERS ARE GETTING CHEAPER :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
quite right jim

mustn't go rushing headlong into something :ROFLMAO:

and terry , had one turned from a piece of solid brass bar 30 years ago ! presume the ones you list are for uk propane bottles which , as stated , I don't use

Last edited:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Is there an adapter that will allow Propane tanks to be fitted to Butane connector?

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
Lpg

Hi
Does the Cylinder have to be completely empty?
Is there a minimum fill amount (like the 4l or so for petrol)
Is it 100% safe and legal
How much is it at the pumps?
Thanks
Barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Barry, search on here for posts
yes it is safer for the cyl to be empty :thumb:
the jury is still out on legality :ROFLMAO:
very safe if you follow the simple rules :thumb:
48 p per litre
about £3.50 to fill my 3.9 kg small propane bottle instead of £13.99 exchange :ROFLMAO::thumb:

GAS ADAPTER
There are no joints, pipes, knuckles valves or floats to go wrong or leak, just a simple well engineered adapter that screws onto your bottle
Use a two bottle system ie 1 full to replace empty 1, just as you did years ago.
Remember to refill only total empty bottles to avoid overfilling.
Refill LPG bottles are only filled to 80% of total volume.
One litre of LPG weights ca. 500 grams.
13 kg bottle at 80% = 26 litres
6 kg bottle @ 80 % = 12 ltrs
3.9 kg bottle @ 80 % = 7.8 ltrs
Calor gas on there web site even say that bottles can be filled up to 87 % so this will allow for any difference in temperatures!!!!
Fasten the bottle in the van
Fit adapter
Open valve
Fit filling gun turning 90 degrees C,Wise and lock on/cock
Dispense required amount of gas (see above)
Close valve
Uncock turn 90 degrees anti CW,Disengage filling gun
Replace gun into holder and pay for fuel
Remove adapter and store for next use
If you cannot follow these simple instructions then do not buy a filling adapter and carry on paying through the nose for refill bottles!!!
If you can understand and follow the above then buy an adapter and start saving money

terry
lots of people say weigh the cylinder as well (I am not arguing about that )but if you can do the simple math then no need.I also leave my empty bottle open so that if there are/ is any residual gas it is defiantly empty

Last edited:

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
Discounts

It says email for group discounts
Could we not arrange for discounts for members who buy it?
Thanks
Barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Barry, most people will not even admit they have one :Eeek::ROFLMAO: so how are you going to get a bunch of people to to commit them self s to buying :ROFLMAO: just pay the twenty or thirty quid and don't cause yourself a headache (hence my crash helmet my 1st post) I paid about 35 for mine about 3 yrs ago
terry

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
Ooer

Sounds a bit dodgey to me? Not daring to admit you have one???????
Can the calorlite be used just the same?
Thanks
Barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sounds a bit dodgey to me? Not daring to admit you have one???????
Can the calorlite be used just the same?
Thanks
Barry
If you read all the posts on them you will understand :ROFLMAO: yes you can use any that the adapters fit on so long as you do the sums/maths
This is beginning to sound like it is me what's flogging them,I will have to nuy a few at 30 quid and sell them for 30 :ROFLMAO:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as most of you will know the calor propane in the uk has got an odd fitment which means you have to fiddle about if you are anywhere else

I only use the standard european thread for either butane or propane [ like the 4.5 Kg calor dumpy butane ]
isn't there anyone else in the uk selling propane with the normal thread , and perhaps a decent sized butane as well ..there must be several brands available , surely

you dont say if you have a fixed bukhead regulator or does the regulator screw onto the botte top ?

if it screws to the bottle its as easy to change the reg to a uk propane or butane regulator.

about £5 ish and fits ANY calor uk bottle....either butane or propane but not both.

if its fixed to the bulkhead you're stuffed unless you change the actual bottle connector stub on the pigtail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I have have an on board regulator since 1987

I have only used rubber high pressure hoses

I have never had a problem with the regulator blocking , but having had only eriba , hymer and tabbert they always fit in the correct place ie , as high as possible

I have only had a standard european thread or , on my current vehicle , 2 standard threads with auto change [ I admit that doesn't work as intended because I keep my reserve bottle shut so that I know when the main bottle runs out , I use a camping gas reserve which generally lasts 2-3 years and I am on the road up to 6 months normally ]

apart from uk I don't have to even think about gas

btw , do not under any circumstances change the bottle connector stub on the pigtail , they must be sealed units ; change the entire pigtail , that way you will still be insured as well as safe

I use a repsol main bottle and can change easily in southern france/ spain/portugal ; elsewhere I fill it myself

in other words , I use the kiss principle

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have have an on board regulator since 1987

I have only used rubber high pressure hoses

I have never had a problem with the regulator blocking , but having had only eriba , hymer and tabbert they always fit in the correct place ie , as high as possible

I have only had a standard european thread or , on my current vehicle , 2 standard threads with auto change [ I admit that doesn't work as intended because I keep my reserve bottle shut so that I know when the main bottle runs out , I use a camping gas reserve which generally lasts 2-3 years and I am on the road up to 6 months normally ]

apart from uk I don't have to even think about gas

btw , do not under any circumstances change the bottle connector stub on the pigtail , they must be sealed units ; change the entire pigtail , that way you will still be insured as well as safe

I use a repsol main bottle and can change easily in southern france/ spain/portugal ; elsewhere I fill it myself

in other words , I use the kiss principle

Ooops...a senior moment and one that shouldnt have happened.:whatthe:

i was forgetting the reg is AFTER the pigtail so said pigtail will be at full bottle pressure:Doh:

note to self......think before opening gob:Blush:

danie_jc

Free Member
Sep 5, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Will these adapters fit onto the calor lite bottles?

Hi you may need one of
Link Removed
or
Link Removed
these fit UK TYPE BOTTLES
It is best you fit the adapter to your bottle before going into the garage and leave the bottle in the gas locker to fill as it is not as acceptable to fill bottles in the UK as in other places abroad :thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: THE ADAPTERS ARE GETTING CHEAPER :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The fitting is exactly the same on the calorlite as the normal bottles. I have a calorlite but haven't refilled it yet but have filled my old 6 kg calor bottle with my adapter. I paid around £30 when I bought mine :cry:. I do have a proper 11kg refillable bottle with the filling point fixed inside the gas locker, I also checked the weight of the bottles when full (they had a luggage scale in B&M for under £2 :thumb:) so I can always weigh them to estimate how much gas I have left.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The fitting is exactly the same on the calorlite as the normal bottles. I have a calorlite but haven't refilled it yet but have filled my old 6 kg calor bottle with my adapter. I paid around £30 when I bought mine :cry:. I do have a proper 11kg refillable bottle with the filling point fixed inside the gas locker, I also checked the weight of the bottles when full (they had a luggage scale in B&M for under £2 :thumb:) so I can always weigh them to estimate how much gas I have left.

Me too but getting in early means you start saving sooner, also it saw me all through last winter.:thumb: Saved 'Loadsa money ' :winky::Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back