Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Hi All

I have looked back through many threads on here but cant find or have missed ones for the Lakes.

We plan to go up there soon after the kids go back to school and have a route in mind covering about 4 weeks.
It would be our first time up there in MOHO. We last went 7 years ago on a long weekend.
We are looking for any campsite recommendations or warnings and also would like to know of anyone that has managed to get their MOHOs over the passes. Ours is 7.5M long overhang.

We will also have dog with us. Though we have lots of walk info already so all good there.

TIA

John & Catherine (& Nelson)

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Which passes? There are many. Some will be OK, others close to impossible in a vehicle your size. For example, Dunmail Raise and Whinlatter should be fine, Kirkstone probably OK depending on what you meet coming the other way, and Harknott and Wrynose have stopped many a car in their tracks.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This thread any use @Stagman ? (ignoring the off-topic diversions as always!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We live on the Northern end of the Lake District and don't use sites there very much. The only ones we have used are the Wheatsheaf at Lorton (independant) and the C & CC site at Ravenglass both of which we can recommend. We also stayed on a THS at Ruskin school at Coniston.
Regarding taking your 7.5 MH in the lakes, there are not many roads that will cause problems but there are a LOT of narrow windy roads with stone wall boundaries that you have to be careful on. You can have a look at some of them on YouTube by searching Wrynose Pass, The Struggle, Honister Pass, Hardknott Pass.
Parking in a MH is a year round problem in the Lakes towns with height barriers and sheer lack of space!
I would advise that you stick to the western and northern edges initially. Look on Search for Sites and pick sites or Wild places in the quieter areas.
Derwentwater C&CC is well placed just of the edge of Keswick so you can walk into town and use the buses but I am not sure about dogs on buses!
If you walk in the hills with the dog - watch out for them Herdwick sheep as you often can't see them until they dash out of the bracken and if the dog is not on the lead they will be off! If you do take the dog on the fells where there are sheep watch out for ticks in the dogs coat!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
, and Harknott and Wrynose have stopped many a car in their tracks.
That's a second .. one of my favourite places is wry nose pass..but thats done in a camper on a mwb transit chassis. .
Wouldn't or possibly couldn't get in there in my present van.. there is one quite narrow walled gateway on the skelwith bridge approach and the hardknott at the other. Best avoided in your case I think..
Andy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We did a week there and didn't even try and move the motorhome.

Pick somewhere to base yourself and hire a car.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We have toured in the MH round the lakes and also based ourselves in one place.....I preferred the latter!!

Most of the 'A' roads there wouldn't even classify as 'B' roads where I live in N.Yorks!!

I didn't even attempt any of the passes as the normal roads can be bad enough when you get off the main routes!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Caravan club site near Kendal called Low Park Wood is very pleasant its full of nook's & crannies that make you feel that your on a really small site. Easy access to the south Lakes. Honsiter pass in the North Lakes has a bus service through it but your rear overhang (sorry for being personal lol) might cause difficulties. There are quite a few wilding spots but my favourites are the CL's are mostly excellent. The amount of competition in campsites leads to increased effort to please customers. Penrith is a forgotten gem, well worth a stroll around. Parking can be an issue, there are motorhome specific parking spaces but they are at a premium.
Why not have some time in the south Lakes & then move to the north Lakes, they are very different in nature & scenery. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy yourselves.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In May we stayed at:

Kendal CC: lovely, as stated by @ambulancekidd. (river, bluebell woods - not Sept!) one-way system, very well seperated & disguised pitches.
Coniston CC: lovely, with pedestrian (& boat) access to lake. (rivulets, bluebell woods - not Sept!) one-way system, very well seperated & disguised pitches. [CC directions say approach via A6084 from Penny Bridge. We left via A693 (fewer digits = must be bigger) and were glad not to be towing a caravan; OK in MH :rolleyes: ]
Ravenglass CCC: quite pleasant with easy walk to town/beach. Good homemade cakes.
Keswick CCC: flat site with lovely views from some pitches and direct access to Derwent Water. Only 300m to buses which were frequent, punctual, went in myriad directions and were free using our bus passes.

We didn't drive on any of the little roads!

Enjoy - Gordon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just keep saying "coaches, wagon and busses come down here", this will drown the scraping sound of wing mirror on wall.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just keep saying "coaches, wagon and busses come down here", this will drown the scraping sound of wing mirror on wall.
Check out the bus timetable and FOLLOW ONE IN - the cars are already off the road by the time you get to them - wonderful!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Check out the bus timetable and FOLLOW ONE IN - the cars are already off the road by the time you get to them - wonderful!

Good idea. "I thought we were going to Conniston ?" "We were, but the bus is going to Keswick. It's nice in Keswick".

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good idea. "I thought we were going to Conniston ?" "We were, but the bus is going to Keswick. It's nice in Keswick".

Way way back wen ah wer nobbut a nipper an' we'd drive inter t'dales wi mi grandma & grandad, mi grandad allus used ter geh' lost an' mi' granny allus use ter seh - "foller tha' bus, 'ee knaws wheer 'ee's gooin". We allus 'ad a reet grand time on it :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Way way back wen ah wer nobbut a nipper an' we'd drive inter t'dales wi mi grandma & grandad, mi grandad allus used ter geh' lost an' mi' granny allus use ter seh - "foller tha' bus, 'ee knaws wheer 'ee's gooin". We allus 'ad a reet grand time on it :)

& they say to tourists heading for Scotland to bring a phrase book & be prepared to use the word "pardon" a lot lol. I adore listening to Britain's many & varied accents & with the possible exception of a few Brummie's I can usually understand them & anyway, two Bacardi's & coke is universal o_O

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
& they say to tourists heading for Scotland to bring a phrase book & be prepared to use the word "pardon"

I've worked in offices in Aberdeen and when not talking direct to me what they were saying might well have been Russian. Or Greek, or Swahili.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've worked in offices in Aberdeen and when not talking direct to me what they were saying might well have been Russian. Or Greek, or Swahili.
Last night a barman started talking to me, but made no sense, so I kept saying "no Espanol". He still carried on making no sense.

Only when he went away, did another member of staff said he was Scottish.

Was like Swahili

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp

Yes Dorik Aberdonian accent is baffling to other Scot's, so you'd no chance lol.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Which passes? There are many. Some will be OK, others close to impossible in a vehicle your size. For example, Dunmail Raise and Whinlatter should be fine, Kirkstone probably OK depending on what you meet coming the other way, and Harknott and Wrynose have stopped many a car in their tracks.
I had heard hardknott and wynrose not good. Wondered about Honister as theres a slate mine at the summit i fancy visiting...

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Thanks all. Your input is greatly appreciated (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I had heard hardknott and wynrose not good. Wondered about Honister as theres a slate mine at the summit i fancy visiting...

We took the bus from Keswick to Buttermere then on to Honister. We were only 2 miles out of Keswick and I was saying "I'm glad it's not me driving". When we got to the top of Honister Pass a female BMW driver decided that she couldn't be bothered to wait 30s for the bus and nicely wedged herself into the side of it. Then she reversed and the wing mirror, which had folded backwards, dug into the bus side. So she went forwards again, pushed past the bus and disappeared. Once again I was saying "I'm glad it's not me driving".

Do whatever takes your fancy - Gordon

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp

Honister slate mine is worth a visit. The guy who reopened it was called Mark Weir but sadly died is a helicopter crash. His family carry on the tradition. Its not too difficult to drive to, but I'd recommend coming at it from the beautiful Borrowdale Valley & using the same road out. The Bowder stone is an interesting spot to visit on the same journey, parking is a bit pricey but its like that through the whole of the Lake District. Be prepared for a steep climb into Honister but its perfectly achievable with careful driving. A word of caution, the road that passes Derwentwater has extremely sharp kerbstones on the north bound (Keswick) side. Many a tourist has come a cropper on them, but its just down to being vigilant & careful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back