Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Been with 3 for a few years now and benefited from there no data limit contract deals and all worked well on a Note 3 with very very very rarely a signal outage or drop outs and so a happy bunny
A new phone saw me changing contract plans because the new data limits and fees were going to be extortionate and now saving a few bob on the monthly payments,(Still with 3 By the way)
Im now a Novice in searching for best data deals around, found the 12gb 12month sim (thanks all)and services etc and am using you guys knowledge to help prevent me making the same mistakes as you
So to the title question
Over the bank holls we found ourselves parked up in a small site near the east coast 10 miles out of Mabelthorpe:doh: (but that's another story)
Now this great little place had a great pub and food along with a phone signal blackspot and offered free WiFi in the pub, many folk outside were wandering around the site, as you do, with their mobile phone in the air trying all four corners and a few diagonals to get a signal to no real effect then BANG full signal for 40 seconds then nowt again for the next hour or two
Pammy and I were parked up backed onto the rear wall of the Pub
Now here is the mystery Pam has a Samsung 6 I have the Samsung 6 edge+ pammy is getting 3/4 G most of the time me sat next to her was getting Nowt Zilch Nada!! we even swapped seats but that made no difference neither of us could grab the pubs WiFi except inside the pub
So out came the Brand new unlocked Hewey duwey E5330 £20 of e bay thingy popped in a 3 (again) 1gb test sim and wallop 3 g all day and the BANG it's gone for 40 seconds then it come back for a few hrs,
a complete reversal of what happens to the phone signals
Now im thinking, do I need an Iboost to grab free wifi ? (would it have grabbed the pubs )
Do I need a Phone signal Booster/Repeater or is there something that will do both?/
When I was a smoker I could go Hrs without a fag till I realised I had none and the panic would set in and the whole world would stop untill I got some
It seems its the same with the Interweb when I cant get it I cant think straight, cant concentrate
and the whole world has to stop till I get some
I dont want to have to go through four days of that ever again:Eeek::pray:
Tell me, give me my options and your suggestions in English please
G

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Is your phone in a case? I've found some cases, particularly the type my wife and daughter buy, can severely restrict the signal.

Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the signal suddenly dropping for 40 seconds sounds like the local 3g mast is faulty and reboots itself. this could be linked to the lack of phone signal, like a blackspot. often caused by a powerful radio signal blocking the tower.

if you had an iboost or other system, you would be able to connect to pub wifi over a better distance, unless the mentioned radio signal is also blocking that signal too. taxi radios, warden radio systems and various other radio signals are known to block phone signals

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stay at home:LOL:

Sounds like a plan, we dont have a best suggestion button do we

Is your phone in a case? I've found some cases, particularly the type my wife and daughter buy, can severely restrict the signal.

Malcolm
Without really knowing why I did try it out of its case didnt help but nice to know i was thinking straight

the signal suddenly dropping for 40 seconds sounds like the local 3g mast is faulty and reboots itself. this could be linked to the lack of phone signal, like a blackspot. often caused by a powerful radio signal blocking the tower.

if you had an iboost or other system, you would be able to connect to pub wifi over a better distance, unless the mentioned radio signal is also blocking that signal too. taxi radios, warden radio systems and various other radio signals are known to block phone signals

Interesting and informative, I had assumed a no signal or jammed signal boost would = no signal
but was wondering what others had bought to boost whatever in there desperate attempts
I cant believe I survived 50 Years without the interweb, Iv'e got an even bigger opinion of myself now:Eeek:
That'l please a few:doh:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have a Netgear 762s Mifi (there are loads of others) with an external dual antenna which boosts the mobile signal when i need internet and it is a bit patchy, i can stick this to the sky light inside with the suckers. But in your position i would of used my Wifi aerial (same concept as the iboost) as this would of been a lot easier and of course free when connected to the pubs wifi :). Never had a need to use anything else to be honest.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a Netgear 762s Mifi (there are loads of others) with an external dual antenna which boosts the mobile signal when i need internet and it is a bit patchy, i can stick this to the sky light inside with the suckers. But in your position i would of used my Wifi aerial (same concept as the iboost) as this would of been a lot easier and of course free when connected to the pubs wifi :). Never had a need to use anything else to be honest.
And what make of WIfi aerial would that have been?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Your phone will automatically try and find a LTE/4G signal, if none available it will look for 3G, you could turn off the LTE option temporarily so it stops searching and just sticks with 3G.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
And what make of WIfi aerial would that have been?
It is NETGEAR 6000450 MIMO 2 TS-9 Antenna for Aircard Mobile Hotspots and USB Modems :) but there are many others that will do the job (ebay)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back