Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi. we are thinking about driving over the pass to applecross , been a couple of times before but gone the long way round. my van is 7.2 mts. have any of you done it in a larger type van and if so was it a bad move ? watched a couple of u tube movies and it looks a little tight in places. there was one guy towing quite a large caravan over but seemed to be causing quite a bit of trouble ! should I go for it or stick to the long way ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have done it on m/bike and also in a sports car. I wouldn't do it in our Moho, strain on clutch going up, brakes going down.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Did it when we had a caravan, hairy at times going up as a steep drop on nearside but well worth the effort at the top.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If I really had to do it as in no other option I would go down it.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
hi. we are thinking about driving over the pass to applecross , been a couple of times before but gone the long way round. my van is 7.2 mts. have any of you done it in a larger type van and if so was it a bad move ? watched a couple of u tube movies and it looks a little tight in places. there was one guy towing quite a large caravan over but seemed to be causing quite a bit of trouble ! should I go for it or stick to the long way ?
I have done it in a 6.72m coach built, no problems. The secret is to stay well behind the vehicle in front and dont get caught in a convoy, it makes passing oncoming motors difficult. Let faster cars pass you at a passing place.
I wouldn't imagine you would have a problem with your length as long as it isn't too low to the ground.
Only problem i can think of, if you are on an alko chassis, is that it might ground as you turn on the hairpins, but i have never heard of anyone grounding.

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi thanks for that, it is an alko, but I think it should be ok.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
hi thanks for that, it is an alko, but I think it should be ok.
Just warching youtube video and a bloke came down towing a caravan.
So iif that managed i'm sure you'll be fine.

It really is a spectacular sight and well worth the effort. Stop in the carpark at the top and breathe it in, well worth it.
Going down the Applecross side is much easier. Enjoy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't want this to sound too flippant but it really isn't that big a deal doing Applecross. . Know a few who have done it in 8m vans..and seen hgv' using it when I was there last year. there's good visibility plenty of passing places and the road has been improved.
If you are a resonably confident driver it won't be a problem..
I've just come back from Ireland and feel some of the roads there are more of a challenge. . I'd say there are roads in the lake district which would be harder than Applecross.
Obviously if it's busy it will take more time but that's OK. .
Andy

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I've been up in 7.5m van and its ok as long as the peeps coming down give way, one didn't and we had to stop and crawl by each other, ok for him coming down but a bit of a strain on the clutch going up:doh:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I did it in a 5.18m PVC going down, as it is more spectacular. My sister was nervous so I insisted we did it before breakfast in case she threw up. It is quite challenging but we managed OK. Met an old bloke (must have been in his 80s) in a brand new Autosleeper Nuevo, parked up in a lay by on the way down and we stopped to see if he was OK. He was having problems with his van and was effing & blinding about it. Drove on for breakfast to a cafe on Lochcarron, owned by the sister of the owner of Applecross Inn - both from Huddersfield, my home town. All very entertaining.

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
thanks for all your input , I now feel confident to go over instead of around, although that is a nice drive also. its just the fact that when you see the sign's saying NOT SUITABLE FOR LARGE VEHICLES !! it just puts you off a bit. we will see what happens. watch this space ! lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back