Health Insurance (1 Viewer)

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Do the majority of readers get separate health insurance for their trips abroad or do you make do with the bog standard EHIC card whatever it offers and hope for the best.?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do the majority of readers get separate health insurance for their trips abroad or do you make do with the bog standard EHIC card whatever it offers and hope for the best.?

Personal I use the "bog standard EHIC card" only becouse any private health care would in my case be prohibitive cost wise for the amount of time I am away.
You get the same medical cover as a local with the E111,which sertainly in the EU is very good.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Alan

We take our EHIC cards with us but always take out an annual multi trip policy as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
No! we use no health insurance, just the EHIC, In the 10 years or so that we have been visiting the south of Europe we have used a hospital once, in Portugal. the service got there was better than anything we get in the UK and it cost nothing.

IMHO extra health insurance is not worth the money and is not needed.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Personal I use the "bog standard EHIC card" only becouse any private health care would in my case be prohibitive cost wise for the amount of time I am away.
You get the same medical cover as a local with the E111,which sertainly in the EU is very good.

Probable not needed but the E111 is now defunct! make sure you have a current card, they only last for 5 years and you get no reminder.

Doug...

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What if you have to be flown back to the UK as the EHIC cards are for emergency only not long term treatment? No medical cover you are up sh*t creek without a paddle it will cost you a fortune.:Doh:

About the EHIC

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
What if you have to be flown back to the UK as the EHIC cards are for emergency only not long term treatment? No medical cover you are up sh*t creek without a paddle it will cost you a fortune.:Doh:

About the EHIC

In my opinion I would be better off ouside the UK if we Had an emergency, as I said we got better treatment in Portugal that we would have got in the UK and Portugal is the most backward of the EU countrys.

If I had to change countrys for medical treatment the UK is the last place I would go to.

Doug...

PS What do you think happends? They put you on the street to die? No if you need long term treatment and you wanted to go to the UK, A bog standard flight will probably cost less that the health insurance.

Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have EHIC and also private travel insurance through Insureandgo.

The following may help explain - I have extracted it from the link below:-

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad

What does the EHIC cover?

* It will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your stay because of either illness or an accident.

* The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers.

* It allows you to be treated on the same basis as a resident of the country you are visiting i.e. you may have to pay a patient contribution (also known as a co-payment). You may be able to seek reimbursement for this when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

* It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.

* It includes routine maternity care, (provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth).

* It includes the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care.

What won't the EHIC cover me for?

* The EHIC is not a substitute or replacement for private travel insurance. You should always take out an appropriate private policy in addition to carrying your EHIC.

* It will not cover the costs of private healthcare or services that are not part of the state healthcare system.

* It will not cover the costs of being brought back to the UK.

* It will not allow you to go abroad to specifically receive treatment (including going abroad to give birth).

* The card may not be used in some regions, as there may be no state provided healthcare available.

Hope this helps you to decide.:Smile:

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Thanks for replies... With the Wife not in the best of health after 3 heart attacks, i suspect
it may be in our best interests after all to get additional insurance, although I feel confident that the EHIC card will do, but looking on the black side as I usually do...
Now the cost of additional insurance, no doubt cost a small fortune just for a few weeks away if I can find a company to take all the ailments on..

Regards

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
I was given to understand it only covers about 60% of the cost of treatment the being payable by the patient which with a receipt is usually refundable in the UK. That could be quite a chunk. & no repatriation costs covered

Traveller

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Probable not needed but the E111 is now defunct! make sure you have a current card, they only last for 5 years and you get no reminder.

Doug...

Sorry, I have the card, just didn,t know what it was called.
The other thing is if you have a pre exsisting ailment and you tell the insurance co,they charge a fortune,if you dont,tell them,you are not covered.
You way up what your personal needs are,and everybody is different and then you pays your money and take your chances.
I did try annual multi trip polices when I first started to long term,but when I read the small print it was to restrictive for me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

EHIC plus a free month's travel insurance from our RBS CC. We can extend this for a reasonable price.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Ehic

I think it also depends where you intend to travel, we mainly go to France where SWMBO broke her leg (not under the affluence of incohol) and received excellent treatment using the old e111. now EHIC.
Whilst last in France we visited a pal(ex pat) who had been sent to hospital by his local doctor and again were very impressed with the local health care both in speed and quality.
If like some of us you have any pre existing conditions insurance tends to get expensive or excludes them,
On balance we are both quite happy relying on the public sector

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Its worth looking at ADAC breakdown cover as the extra cover provides has a repatriation provision that could be worth pursuing, I don't know whether it covers pre-existing conditions but its certainly worth investigating as a possible bolt on to your EHIC card.

As for only using the EHIC card you may find that certain countries don't provide long term care after some surgery as its expected to be provided at home, like after a stroke, or if you fall and disable yourself, etc. so be very careful about excluding reparation provision, and most airlines will not take people on who require additional levels of care.

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You also need to weight up where you are. If for example you are in France or Germany, I would think that their emergency service and longer term care is as good if not better than ours.

In the case of your wife with heart issues, it is a judgment you need to make of course. However emergency travel in case of heart issues is not always recommended so she might still be treated locally untill such time as she can be flown home. The point has also been made about existing conditions being EXCLUDED from holiday cover.

I am sticking with the EIHC card and at least within the EU, I do not think there is a great deal to choose from. All services are running against budget restrictions and most doctors now move backwards and forwards across Europe.

Francis

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
in france your ehic provides a re-imboursement of between 40 and 70% , same as it does for french people
but emergencies , rushed into hospital , are free ; you have to pay for your food in the hospital however :Smile:

so if in doubt , go straight to A & E

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We carry EHICS and have a travel insurance which covers us for 12 months of the year anywhere in Europe and some other countries but also for UK which means if we have a problem in UK we can be bought back to the family if necessary. Whilst it does have some restrictions on pre existing problems it does not exclude them - some policies exclude totally.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
insurance

Hi Alan
we always take both cards and private, you never know the minute you need it, A neighbour of ours is now housebound after a smash 3 years age when he was aged 30, we feel you can never have too much cover. Pete & Lynn.:thumb::thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: Been travelling throughout Europe since 1995 (and USA 4 years ago) and NEVER had ANY Medical Insurance. WHY> They DO NOT cover any ailment orillness that you have currently. So WHY BOTHER?

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Thanks everybody for replies. Something to get my teeth into. The initial trip will be just into France for 10 days to get a taster. If that goes OK the next trip will be for a longer period and further afield. If it was just me I certainly wouldn't bother. I shall do a few searches and see what the prices are like for getting us home etc should the worse happen.
Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back