German coastline (2 Viewers)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are going to the Mosel this week and wondered if anyone has been up to the coast.If so what is it really like and did you enjoy it, as we cannot make our minds up to go after the Mosel route

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its nothing special and there isn't that much of it either and I think I remember that all of the beaches were privately owned and chargeable!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry! Just didn't want you to spend your time specially going there and be disappointed ... have a look at Google maps and you'll see how little there is.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We did a Germany trip earlier this year. After travelling up the Mosel to Koblenz we turned east to Thuringia. We enjoyed visiting Eisenach, Erfurt and Jena and Buchenwald, but we are quite interested in history and I do not know if that is your thing. After visiting Potsdam and Berlin, we then went up to Usedom Islands and Peenamunde and then Rugen and along the coast to Kiel. Lubeck was a highlight as well as the Kiel sailing festival. We didn't find any private beaches but there was a euro or two charge (local tax) on town beaches where there was a ticket machine but we didn't see anyone checking for tickets.
Whole area flat but the Baltic Coastline unspoilt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Minxy Girl probably correct in saying don't make a special journey just for the coast. We built a tour around going to Kiel festival as a special event.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That is on my list, was it worth it ? Worth it in terms of a rocket museum.
If you are in that part of the country, it is definitely worth a visit. Not as much hardware on display as say NASA in Florida which happened to be the previous place we visited, but plenty of photographic and textual information. A well thought out museum which showed how the Germans were at the forefront of rocket technology and then how it was taken over by Hitler war machine as a way of getting around post WW1 restrictions on armament. Poingnant for me as photos of docklands London bomb sites (my parents lived there and my father in London Fire service) shown alongside VI and V2 rocket launches, the before and after. My husband spent all his working life in aerospace industry so had a special interest and knowledge.

OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all but the Rhein falls are now on the list to visit

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
We are going to the Mosel this week and wondered if anyone has been up to the coast.If so what is it really like and did you enjoy it, as we cannot make our minds up to go after the Mosel route

I am not sure which coast you are considering. The Baltic coast is very accessible and has some beautiful beaches. We enjoyed our visit to Rostock.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
We've just come back from a fortnight on the Baltic coast and I would recommend it but with some reservations. If you're after sun or landscapes, don't bother but if you want to visit interesting towns & cities, give it a go. Lubec, Bremen & Schwerin are really nice (especially the last) and all have stelplatz in town. On the coast, Zingst, Rugen & Stralsund similarly are good.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We visited the Baltic coast in 2011 on the way through to Denmark. Thoroughly enjoyed it, loads of interesting stuff to see, too much to mention here.
Along with Peenemunde and the U Boat tour and rocket museum we also saw Hitlers massive abandoned holiday complex at Prora which was really spooky. Its now been totally redeveloped so you won't see it as it was unfortunately but might be worth a look. Also worth going along to the Polish border at Swinoujse and parking up and walking across to the massive street market just inside Poland where you can see and buy allsorts of tourist tack etc :).
For more about Prora see...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...retreat-Nazis-opening-luxury-destination.html

d1.JPG d2.JPG d4.JPG d5.JPG d6.JPG

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back