Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
are you just sticking it and not screwing it as well???
i would use the aluminium one personally but the one with a flat on either side of the channel as it is wider and would hold and spread the weight better.

i think there are around 4 different types of aluminium profile for awning rails.

just a straight c with a flat on the back.
a c with a flat on one side
a c with a flat on both sides
and an angle section for roof + side fitting as 90% of older caravans had.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a kit like Link Removed for our previous van. The kit came with all screws needed and even a drill bit of the required size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if sikaflex holds solar panels on the roof then it should be strong enough, after all why put holes inb the van they will only leak eventually.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have done the same to my van.

DO NOT use the plastic rail. I fitted it first because it was white and I thought it would look better on the van. However the first time I tried to fit the awning I found that the rail pulled open and the awning came out. I had to take it off and fit Aluminium.

Hope this helps

Lunarman

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I fitted plastic flat backed rail.
Glued it with Sikaflex, found the screws supplied with the rail to be obstructive, so took them out.
Now using the rail as is, glued to the body.
It is so far quite happy and secure, despite a fair breeze now and then.
It was up for 10 days soild, no probs.
I would say sikaflex it, add screws if you aint happy with it.

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

. However the first time I tried to fit the awning I found that the rail pulled open and the awning came out. I had to take it off and fit Aluminium.
Hope this helps
Lunarman

That was a concern I had-thx for confirming it
Mike

Deleted User

DO NOT use the plastic rail. I fitted it first because it was white and I thought it would look better on the van. However the first time I tried to fit the awning I found that the rail pulled open and the awning came out. I had to take it off and fit Aluminium.

Hope this helps

Lunarman

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, and I have no direct experience of fitting an awning rail, but both the rail and bead come in various sizes.

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I want to fit c section awning rail as above and no screws just sikaflex but where's the best place to get the rail that's my problem re online it comes in 3 pieces to make the length ie maybe 3 X 1.2 Mtrs , 1 length would be better but I think would not survive the courier transport
Any ideas

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I want to fit c section awning rail as above and no screws just sikaflex but where's the best place to get the rail that's my problem re online it comes in 3 pieces to make the length ie maybe 3 X 1.2 Mtrs , 1 length would be better but I think would not survive the courier transport
Any ideas
See this post by @scotjimland

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/awning-rail-fitted-for-kampa-rally-air-pro.135228/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Any ideas

the rail from Johns Cross is self adhesive and supplied with s/s self tapping screws with plastic washers, including 2 x pilot drills.. http://www.johnscross.co.uk/c-section-awning-rail-1-2-m-x-3-pieces.html

The self adhesive strip makes it easy to fit and align.. .. but if you don't want screws and self adhesion you can buy other places without..

You can buy it in full lengths but it can't be couriered..

I fitted it with Sikaflex and no screws on the RV, held it in place with pieces of gaffer tape until the Sika set..

both methods are successful .. the self adhesive method was quicker, cleaner and easier..

NB> For fitting on dimpled ally I would use Sika

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for that
I will have to get in 3 sections and intend using Sikaflex will have to get the 2 joints well lined up though
Thanks again

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for that
I will have to get in 3 sections and intend using Sikaflex will have to get the 2 joints well lined up though
Thanks again

No problem.. chalk line, and use bits of gaffer tape at the joints.. (y)

Two of the three pieces have one end rounded off, but that's obvious when you see them ..

Last edited:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just a thought..... For others too...

My Moho has graphics ... If just stuck with Silka ( and no screws ) would that not just pull the graphics off .. As opposed to being glued directly to the aluminium panel?..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought..... For others too...

My Moho has graphics ... If just stuck with Silka ( and no screws ) would that not just pull the graphics off .. As opposed to being glued directly to the aluminium panel?..

Unless the graphic was the full length of the rail I wouldn't be worried. If unsure use a few self tapping screws where the graphic is..

I'm not sure if our 2014 Auto Sleeper body panels are strong enough,as the fibre glass panels are so thin.

John.

As the load is spread along the length of the rail, and provided there is no delamintation, I think it would be fine..

If in any doubt, ask an Auto Sleeper dealer or email Auto Sleeper direct.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you have got a wind out awning fix it to the bottom of that you can glue and screw or pop rivet it saving messing up the side of your van.
I pop riveted ours to the underside works a treat(y)(y)(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you have got a wind out awning fix it to the bottom of that you can glue and screw or pop rivet it saving messing up the side of your van.
I pop riveted ours to the underside works a treat(y)(y)(y)

yes.. that is a good idea.. but my box awning was in the wrong position..

I wanted the awning to fit over the hab door, so fitting the rail on the van was the only way to achieve that ..

IMG_0981.jpg

Before fitting rail ..

DSCF2324.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@scotjimland On our Exsis I can just get away with ours the wind out is a little further forward.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
how was I to know that.. you said 'graphics' not graphic.. I took that to be plural.. so not a one piece graphic the full length

besides, I was only trying to be helpful..

I know... :) ... Me too :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back