Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there all,

we picked up our new (second hand) motorhome last Monday and I have a nice picture of her taken the following morning.

As you can see I have not used levellers as I don't have any yet (Next purchase). I did not use the water system as I don't have a water hose or water carrier yet ( add to next purchase ). But we had a lovely night. Could not get to sleep at first we were so excited.

Stayed not too far away at Bridgnorth, near enough to home in case a serious problem arose. The site was Stanmore Hall which is bit of an expensive site, but has got every facility. I picked a site with everything on hand, also just in case we had any problems.

Attachments

• Stanmore Hall_01.jpg
    Stanmore Hall_01.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 208

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Looking good, there is always something else you need !, I am sure you are going to have some great adventures in her !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
The only problem we have come across so far is that the habitation door lock does not work from the inside.

I can lock it from the outside with the key but not from the remote.
The inside flick switch on the door does not work at all.

Back to the dealer with it on Tuesday

Mck

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Great to see that you had such a good night in your lovely new moho @Mickrik !

Our first night in our first van, we found that whenever we used water and turned a tap OFF, all the electrics cut out! We could re-set it, but fortunately our dealers had put us up on a local site for 2 nights in case of things like that, so we were easily able to get back there & get a new Sargent box fitted. Oh, and a new awning light, that didn't work at all.
Looking at your photo, I wouldn't have thought you'd have needed levellers on that pitch?
You're going to have such fun getting all the bells & whistles!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looks a really nice motorhome, so exciting that first night in the van, you will soon sort out all the things you need for it, and probably a lot you don't, enjoy. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Mick, you will always have small niggles with a secondhand or new van, I am sure your dealer will sort it for you, enjoy the rest of your break, at least the weathers improved !

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Lovely looking MH and very sensible of you to spend your first night away at a site close to home. Enjoy your travels!

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We try not to use levelers anyway, and just get yourself a watering can, you'll be fine.it's all a learning curve, a very enjoyable one.
We've had our cheyenne a month now, still expecting stuff to go wrong, I'm touching wood saying this,its an 09 model as well.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Another vote for a watering can, just make sure the spout fits in the water filler :oops:
Enjy your new van

Upvote 0

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
How exciting, we've got to wait another 4 weeks to collect our first new old motorhome. You'll be old hands by then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Credit Where Credit is Due.

Having returned the Motorhome to AEG of Stourbridge, the dealer who supplied it. We went in with a small snag list including the door fault and they fixed everything in a couple of hours while we savoured the delights of Stourbridge town centre.

Mick

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We hardly ever use levellers.

I like the excitement of climbing out of bed at the back and rushing towards the cab effortlessly (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We hardly ever use levellers.

I like the excitement of climbing out of bed at the back and rushing towards the cab effortlessly (y)
My test:
Do I have to hold the fridge door open with my head when trying to find something?
Answer = Yes ............................. get the levelers out.
Answer = No ............................... get the vodka out.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
We put a glass marble on the slightly textured work-surface in the MH. If is stays still, or rolls away slowly, then no levellers needed. It also shows more precisely which way the MH is tilting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, there,

Some great answers from you wise folk, including the ones with alcoholic references ( Jack Daniels please).

I have a spirit level in my mobile phone which is quite handy not that I can do much about it as I still haven't bought any levellers yet.

Didn't make it back home in time to put it into storage so I shall just have to admire from my window for another night.

Mick

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi there all,

we picked up our new (second hand) motorhome last Monday and I have a nice picture of her taken the following morning.

As you can see I have not used levellers as I don't have any yet (Next purchase). I did not use the water system as I don't have a water hose or water carrier yet ( add to next purchase ). But we had a lovely night. Could not get to sleep at first we were so excited.

Stayed not too far away at Bridgnorth, near enough to home in case a serious problem arose. The site was Stanmore Hall which is bit of an expensive site, but has got every facility. I picked a site with everything on hand, also just in case we had any problems.
Are you an ex tugger or camper (caravan or tent). Not seen anyone (but there will be some) in a moho that has a water carrier.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant understand folks not using levellers....they all must live in houses with subsidence problems.
If your house wasnt level you'd soon be on to your builder.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Levellers are mostly needed by motorhomers who use campsites and aires.

They arrive at reception, pay over money, are given a "pitch" and that is where they are spending the night.

They get to "their" pitch and park in it (sometimes in the orientation determined by dreaded "rules") and find it is not level.

Hence the levellers come out.

Yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk.

Free spirited, adventure loving, rules and regulations hating, off-site FLT's choose a location for their overnight accommodation based on its location, ambience, proximity to friends, scenery and so on.

If the van isn't level, they move it a bit until it is.

Levellers are establishment chains which restrict your freedom of movement.

A waste of space. I don't use 'em.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

PS. Of course, if you have invested in a fitted, self levelling system, then it is different...

...and very, very cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
Are you an ex tugger or camper (caravan or tent). Not seen anyone (but there will be some) in a moho that has a water carrier.

I have two.......ones the wife:whistle: (joke!)...........and the other is a watering can, can be a pain in the a***e getting the van to the tap:).........also a 5 litre ex bottled water container for drinking purposes..........I know lots drink the water from the tank but we don't:)

I have a spirit level and levellers too!.........the wife thinks I am anally retentive:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are you an ex tugger or camper (caravan or tent).

Completely new to this, camped a few years ago at the Cropready festival.

This is a completely new venture for both of us and like most things I do, I learn the hard way. I have got a water carrier and watering can.

worked out how to prime the heater and check it works ok.

Being much a newbie I am feeling my way into this and look for good advice from experienced Motorhomers like you.

Mick

Upvote 0

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Wow mikerik

That's a big van!! we are newbies. Brought our first van Adria sun seeker picking it up on the 28th October. Good luck on your travels .

Regards Sharon

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Congratulations on your first month's motorhoming.

Great choice of first night's site - in my hometown! Hope you managed to sample some of our 28 pubs :)

The only reason I use levellers is because our vintage fridge won't work unless it's perfectly level (n)

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Completely new to this, camped a few years ago at the Cropready festival.

This is a completely new venture for both of us and like most things I do, I learn the hard way. I have got a water carrier and watering can.

worked out how to prime the heater and check it works ok.

Being much a newbie I am feeling my way into this and look for good advice from experienced Motorhomers like you.

Mick
The reason I asked is why a water carrier as there is a tank fitted in your moho and to prime the boiler you'd have to have water in the system rather than a water carrier. It's usually something like Aquaroll that tugger use because not a lot of vans, if any, have a water tank inbuilt.
We all look to others on here for help and advice and I'm only enquiring as to why a water carrier. Thought I was missing a good plan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There,

Ah well, I had got it parked outside my house and I was seeing how much water I needed in the tank to fill the water heater and get the tank to 1/4 full. For this I used a 5 litre watering can. I bought a separate 10 Litre water carrier for potable drinking water for tea which is inside the van. I don't have a hosepipe at home hence the watering can. Others on here told me a watering can would be useful for this purpose and I must agree. Thinking about it at 1/4 full, it is not too excessive weight p;us it keeps the water system primed. This is after your comment on the other thread bearing in mind I am weight conscious at the moment.

If I want to fill her up, there is a hosepipe at storage.

Mick

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We do carry an aquaroll with us because with the Whale system fitted on our MH you either need to hook up to a tap with the Whale hose or use a submersible pump to fill the tank - you can't use a normal hosepipe or a watering can (unless you lift the inside floor hatch and fill through the top of the tank). Its a silly system :-(

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi There,

Ah well, I had got it parked outside my house and I was seeing how much water I needed in the tank to fill the water heater and get the tank to 1/4 full. For this I used a 5 litre watering can. I bought a separate 10 Litre water carrier for potable drinking water for tea which is inside the van. I don't have a hosepipe at home hence the watering can. Others on here told me a watering can would be useful for this purpose and I must agree. Thinking about it at 1/4 full, it is not too excessive weight p;us it keeps the water system primed. This is after your comment on the other thread bearing in mind I am weight conscious at the moment.

If I want to fill her up, there is a hosepipe at storage.

Mick
I see where you're going now. I've seen plenty of moho owners using watering cans and good idea when no hosepipe.
Yours is a weight issue whereas I have good payload but space is a premium. I couldn't afford the space for a 10 litre container and a watering can.
I do get 6 x 2litres of bottled water for freshness at Lidl @ around 17p per bottle and individual bottles.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back