Windows 10 query (1 Viewer)

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
With some trepidation I clicked to accept the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 :eek: But so far I have managed to do everything I wanted to - until now.

I wanted to burn photos to a disc but couldn't.It appears that my CD burner is not connected o_O

Have Googled and tried a few suggestions but no go. Anyone had the same problem? And how did you resolve it?

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If you can identify the make of your cd burner you should be able to download and install the Win10 drivers.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe you should go back to the version of Windows you had previously. I have not as yet seen any good reason for changing to Windows 10.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Maybe you should go back to the version of Windows you had previously. I have not as yet seen any good reason for changing to Windows 10.
Must agree - hubby downloaded it onto our spare laptop to see what it was like ... couldn't see much point in it - maybe good if you have a new pc with a touch screen but otherwise might as well stick with the tried and trusted Windows 7.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With some trepidation I clicked to accept the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 :eek: But so far I have managed to do everything I wanted to - until now.

I wanted to burn photos to a disc but couldn't.It appears that my CD burner is not connected o_O

Have Googled and tried a few suggestions but no go. Anyone had the same problem? And how did you resolve it?
Some hardware might not have drivers that work with Windows 10 so you might have no option but to go back to Windows 7 (assuming that's what you had previously). We had a lovely scanner but it wouldn't work with Windows 7, and with XP being obsolete now (which it did work with) we just had to ditch it and but a combi printer/scanner/copier but I much preferred the old scanner!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Must agree - hubby downloaded it onto our spare laptop to see what it was like ... couldn't see much point in it - maybe good if you have a new pc with a touch screen but otherwise might as well stick with the tried and trusted Windows 7.

Yes Mel, Windows 7 Pro IMHO is better than all the later editions. I believe that Windows 98 Second Edition was the pinacle and it has been downhill since then.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

You might want to try working through this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The operating system he had was already paid for. Why downgrade?
Not really a downgrade. Just free.
But anyway, doesn't really answer the OP's question.

OP will also need to be aware the rollback timeline is now only 10 days (not 30) if that is the preferred route.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Don't think they are. Seem to have one already?

I read his post that he did not have a problem until he 'accepted' Windows 10. Therefore, most definitely an operating system problem for him.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"he" how do you work that out from "Ali n Tim"?

But what do I know. Complete mystery these computer thingies. :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

Yes, my mistake and I do apologise. I did get carried away. Best to leave computer 'thingies' as a mystery and get on with more important things in life :oops:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Its the way he types ... Ali would be much more ... errr ... how can I put this ... ermmmmm ... nope, won't say it ... but ...

Ali wouldn't have accepted such a cr@p system in the first place! :D;)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear. I will refrain from saying any more about that particular operating system (in this thread) but, please, please do not get me started on those 'i' or is it apple systems :reel:

OP
OP
Ali n Tim
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Best to leave computer 'thingies' as a mystery and get on with more important things in life :oops:

Wish I had done that :RollEyes:
Have spent several hours today fiddling about and am no further forward:crying:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you right click over the window symbol (what used to be the Start button) a menu will appear from which you can select Device Manager. Its the 5th one down on mine. Click on this and you should see a category called "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Click on the little arrow and see if your CD drive appears. If it does check what it says about it. It may for example say it is disabled and there should be an option to enable it. Any exclamation marks you can see in the device manager window are a sign of problems.

Of course if you can't see your drive listed then it may well be as others have suggested a driver problem and buying a new CD drive might be the simplest way to sort it as Windows 10 should be able to find a driver which works if one was available.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Was this problem ever solved?
After 8 months of windows 10 I've only just discovered that I can't read any dvd's...I insert a dvd in the drive, it clicks and whirrs, then reports 'insert disc in drive'...my devices say that the dvd/cd is there, along with the drivers, and a system check says that all is working ok...it was working great with windows 7.
I've got CyberlinkPowerDVD 9.6 on my system, that's meant to be a media player, I launch it, ask it to open a dvd, and I get the same clicks & whirrs etc..
I've looked on google, and this problem is rife, but I've not been able to follow a solution to it.
Has anyone found a way to overcome this?

regards
Allen

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Was this problem ever solved?
After 8 months of windows 10 I've only just discovered that I can't read any dvd's...I insert a dvd in the drive, it clicks and whirrs, then reports 'insert disc in drive'...my devices say that the dvd/cd is there, along with the drivers, and a system check says that all is working ok...it was working great with windows 7.
I've got CyberlinkPowerDVD 9.6 on my system, that's meant to be a media player, I launch it, ask it to open a dvd, and I get the same clicks & whirrs etc..
I've looked on google, and this problem is rife, but I've not been able to follow a solution to it.
Has anyone found a way to overcome this?

regards
Allen

Try downloading and installing VLC (media player) and see if it plays your DVD \ CD. It's free. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en-GB.html
If it does it would remove a hardware issue as a starter.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Just downloaded VLC, no joy....DVD still doesn't play....keeps saying 'insert a disc'.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As Larry says it might be worthwhile investing in an external drive . You could spend half your life trying to resolve driver issues in Win 10.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back