M20 CLOSED Kent. Footbridge collapse (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Seems a lorry with a couple of diggers on hit it and it fell on another lorry. Nobody badly hurt thank goodness although it will be horrendous for those on their way abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
One of the guys on rvoc has posted that it will be shut for a few days whilst they clear it!! Can just imagine the miserable chaos this will create if this is true.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I heard about this on the news and they said that the motorcyclist was injured as he saw the bridge in his way and put his bike onto it's side and slide under the bridge to avoid hitting it at full force ... thank goodness he thought to do this otherwise I suspect he wouldn't have survived the impact.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of the guys on rvoc has posted that it will be shut for a few days whilst they clear it!! Can just imagine the miserable chaos this will create if this is true.

BBC news had a police spokesman on who said it would be shut until at least lunch time tomorrow.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Trouble is that other half above the coast bound side looks very precarious. That will have to be taken down as well before the road can re-open. And I suspect a lot of the heavy lifting gear in the country will be tied up this weekend on all the Railtrack possession works that are going on.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Looks like the lorry that was the cause of this mayhem was driving on the hard shoulder,is this an area,where that's permitted ..if not ...deep dooo doo for him and his company..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seem to recall this bridge from travelling along that part of the road myself and it has quite a big drop on it from one side to the other (northern) to the other (southern) so I wonder if the driver of the flatbed with the digger on forgot about his high load and travelling in the nearside lane at the lowest point of the bridge and clipped it causing the problem ...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I seem to recall this bridge from travelling along that part of the road myself and it has quite a big drop on it from one side to the other (northern) to the other (southern) so I wonder if the driver of the flatbed with the digger on forgot about his high load and travelling in the nearside lane at the lowest point of the bridge and clipped it causing the problem ...
Looks like he was in the wrong place Mel I.e. The hard shoulder,most bridges are lower than main carriage way..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looks like he was in the wrong place Mel I.e. The hard shoulder,most bridges are lower than main carriage way..
It may be that he pulled over onto that when he hit the bridge, can't say from the photos so it will be interesting to know exactly what happened.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just seen on Channel 4 news first 2 people who stopped and ran to help were a critical care nurse and off duty police officer. Were able to help motorcyclist and any other injured before ambulances arrived. Maybe a factor in no loss of life?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Okay, I've got some of the photos and it appears that it could be the box lorry that is the one that's hit the bridge, not the one with the crane ... if you look at the image below you can see that the bridge has fallen onto the flatbed before the digger - it looks therefore like the flatbed driver may have driven onto the hard shoulder to avoid hitting the lorry in front and that's why he's there.

Alternatively it could be that the arm of the digger hit the bridge and dislodged/broke it away in which case it would mean that the flatbed driver WAS already on the hard shoulder, and hit the bridge which then dropped onto the box lorry.

I'm sure there'll be some reports on the news/internet shortly so we'll know in due course.

bridge 1.JPG
bridge 3.JPG
bridge 2.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yellow one at the front and orange one at the back

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another photo, this time from the rear which shows the end of the box lorry which appears to have been a normal height so it therefore suggests it WAS the flatbed driver and the arm of the digger, you can also see a smaller dumper just in front of it which is where the reference to a second digger comes in I think.

bridge 4.JPG

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If the arm of the digger hit the bridge I would of thought that the force it would of hit it at would of ripped the arm from the digger.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As I posted earlier its the flatbeds fault he was driving on the hard shoulder for some reason. But as was pointed out the bridge ahould have been at the same height as the main carriageway..maybe somehow the boom on digger lifted a bit causing it to collide with bridge. Perhaps the driver realised there was a problem and got off the main carriageway to get it sorted ..just thinking out loud.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just been to the CSI lab. In a picture it shows the bucket of the digger on the trailer floor in front of the dumper. Often they put the bucket of the digger in the dumper when traveling, if so that would of made the arm of the digger higher . All guess work.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whoever, whatever - the bridge should surely have withstood a collision?
Let's hope they investigate the structural integrity & construction of the bridge as thoroughly as they do the truck driver.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect it is a Brexit plot to stop folk travelling to and from Europe. Not so much building bridges with Europe as knocking them down. :)

Which I only post as no one was seriously hurt as I understand it. :)

When I lived in Kuwait there was a similar incident caused by a tipper truck. They were resurfacing the road and the truck, after tipping it's load shot off while the tipping bit was still pointing skywards. It took out an entire bridge over the motorway! The driver "absconded" as the papers called it and was not heard of again.

The point of this story is these bridges, because of the expansion joints, are not able to survive being sideswiped, they just pop out.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Whoever, whatever - the bridge should surely have withstood a collision?
Let's hope they investigate the structural integrity & construction of the bridge as thoroughly as they do the truck driver.
Its pedestrian bridge so wont be a sturdy as a vehicular crossing

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've been following this all day, and I think a more accurate headline would be "Bellend with a digger knocks over a bridge" rather than "Bridge collapses"
I think you all might see why my journalistic career was cut short! :D

Deleted User
There was a similar incident on the M62 in 1975 when a mobile crane hit a bridge, two people were killed, I think the section fell on to the cab of the crane.

The reason was found to be that the hydraulics on the crane had not been isolated causing vibrations from travel to gradually raise the crane leading to the eventual bridge strike.

Whether this happened in this case or whether the driver is a bell end or not will undoubtedly be ascertained in due course!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back