I think we have found our Van (1 Viewer)

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there

We are going to have a look at a Swift Lifestyle 590rs 2007 face lift on Monday and we are pretty sure that its the one :)

Just wondering what past and present owners of swifts think and any advise or key areas to have a look at when viewing?

We are quite lucky as the van still has 18 months Marquis warrantee left to run and apparently it is transferable.

Thanks in advance

Paul

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
any advise or key areas to have a look at when viewing

look for damp.. Swift have a poor reputation..

take a damp meter and go all over it ..inside cupboards, lockers etc ..at all panel joints, around window frames, around roof lights, locker and hab doors ..

damp is a killer.. and can be costly to repair.. any signs just walk away .. plenty of choices.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Swifts are the butt of many jokes on here, but they are really nice motorhomes, we have a 630L! But there is a caveat to that statement! :D
I think I am correct in saying that the Lifestyle is a dealer special version of the Sundance, so I can help you lots :D
Like all motorhomes, you need to check for damp, Swift have a reputation for leaking, which I think is unfair, statistically they are no more likely to leak than any other van. You should be able to smell damp before you see it.
Like all vehicles, make sure you drive it, in particular, try to find an area where you able to reverse uphill. The Ducato was plagued by 'judder gate' make sure it reverses smoothly. Also, the synchro can be a bit weak, check the gear changes are smooth.
Having taken most of our wiring apart to fit various gadgets, I can confirm that the wiring looks like they employ 5 year olds at the Swift factory, check that all appliances work in all modes, so fridge on gas/12v and 240v, TV if fitted, and hob. The heating needs to be tested in all modes.
Originally the gas regulator will have been a Truma unit, which often failed, this was one that you had to hold a button for 20 seconds to get it to work. Mostly these have been replaced now, so check that.
Don't bother checking the water meters, I can tell you right now, they don't work! :D
Try to find out how old the leisure batteries are, and also, find out where they are located!
Check that all storage units open and close correctly, and also, the finishers of the panels often fall off. Easy to fix, but a good bargaining tool! :D
Finally, get under the van and look at the floor from underneath, look for obvious repairs.
And finally, anything that is non standard, find out who fitted it, and whether it works! :D
Enjoy your purchase! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Make sure the floor is not "SPONGY", if so probably has de-laminated, walk away.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Swifts are the butt of many jokes on here, but they are really nice motorhomes, we have a 630L! But there is a caveat to that statement! :D
I think I am correct in saying that the Lifestyle is a dealer special version of the Sundance, so I can help you lots :D
Like all motorhomes, you need to check for damp, Swift have a reputation for leaking, which I think is unfair, statistically they are no more likely to leak than any other van. You should be able to smell damp before you see it.
Like all vehicles, make sure you drive it, in particular, try to find an area where you able to reverse uphill. The Ducato was plagued by 'judder gate' make sure it reverses smoothly. Also, the synchro can be a bit weak, check the gear changes are smooth.
Having taken most of our wiring apart to fit various gadgets, I can confirm that the wiring looks like they employ 5 year olds at the Swift factory, check that all appliances work in all modes, so fridge on gas/12v and 240v, TV if fitted, and hob. The heating needs to be tested in all modes.
Originally the gas regulator will have been a Truma unit, which often failed, this was one that you had to hold a button for 20 seconds to get it to work. Mostly these have been replaced now, so check that.
Don't bother checking the water meters, I can tell you right now, they don't work! :D
Try to find out how old the leisure batteries are, and also, find out where they are located!
Check that all storage units open and close correctly, and also, the finishers of the panels often fall off. Easy to fix, but a good bargaining tool! :D
Finally, get under the van and look at the floor from underneath, look for obvious repairs.
And finally, anything that is non standard, find out who fitted it, and whether it works! :D
Enjoy your purchase! :D

Thanks for this

I didn't realise they were made fun of, they seem to be a very popular brand.

I'm taking a damp meter with me and I'm going to go through it very well. He people who are selling it have kept up to date with the habitation certs and servicing to keep the marquis warranty going, that I have looked into and seems very good. So hopefully all will be well.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You should be able to smell damp before you see it.

by the time you can smell damp it is well established.. only a damp meter can alert to early signs of ingress..

Yes, all vans can develop leaks, but the real problem is the damage it can cause.. or not..

for example a Hymer, with PUAL construction there is no structural timber to rot.. so a leak will not cause catastrophic damage.. when discovered it can be repaired.. if the same leak develops on a timer frame van the rot can destroy a wall before it is found..

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks for this

I didn't realise they were made fun of, they seem to be a very popular brand.
Oh yes, it stems back to a catastrophically badly made model - the Kon-Tiki, there were so many design flaws that it became known as the Kon-Leaky. Fortunately those days are long gone, but the stigma remains. And we all like a little giggle on here about various makes of Motorhome! You'll pick that up as you go along! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've now been researching a bit deeper into swift and the automarq warranty and i don't think i should be buying a swift as there isn't a lot of actual good reviews about either :cry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
i really am getting frustrated now with motorhome buying as i have been let down left right and centre with dealers, travelling hours only to reach the dealers and the van not being as described etc.:mad:

i thought finding one was supposed to be half the fun.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Don't be despondent the fact that you have found out all this information now and the knowledge you are getting hopefully will mean when you find what you want it will be a good one with no issues and not end up costing extra money because it had not been researched properly, You will find the right one for you. (y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Oh yes, it stems back to a catastrophically badly made model - the Kon-Tiki, there were so many design flaws that it became known as the Kon-Leaky. Fortunately those days are long gone, but the stigma remains. And we all like a little giggle on here about various makes of Motorhome! You'll pick that up as you go along! :D
and the money saving idea of using non waterproof ply in the floors in 2004. must of cost swift millions in warranty repairs. even now they dont water seal around the rear wheel arches so the rot starts the first time they are driven on the road

I am certainly not laughing at swift, as a previous owner of a brand new one delivered with multiple faults, I would not recommend them or marquis to anyone

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've got a 2004 Ace (Swift brand) and it's been excellent for the price...
...and yes, it did have damp but because it was bought from a good dealership, they accepted responsibility & sorted it (y)

But even if they hadn't & I had to pay then I'd still be happy with it

Many on here will point you in the direction of continental models, especially German, especially Hymer... and they can be good but at a premium price.

Buying a 'quality' brand is no guarantee - just ask Hagnap (see his thread on his delaminating Rapido)

Swift sell a lot of vans - they wouldn't if they were all bad. They're a mid price.

If it is from a dealer, get them to do a damp check, if private get the seller to have a damp check done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got a 2004 Ace (Swift brand) and it's been excellent for the price...
...and yes, it did have damp but because it was bought from a good dealership, they accepted responsibility & sorted it (y)

But even if they hadn't & I had to pay then I'd still be happy with it

Many on here will point you in the direction of continental models, especially German, especially Hymer... and they can be good but at a premium price.

Buying a 'quality' brand is no guarantee - just ask Hagnap (see his thread on his delaminating Rapido)

Swift sell a lot of vans - they wouldn't if they were all bad. They're a mid price.

If it is from a dealer, get them to do a damp check, if private get the seller to have a damp check done.

Its a private seller they have had the habitation checks done since they brought it from Marquis and still have 18 months to run on the warranty so hopefully any damp would have been picked up.

Who was the dealer you purchased your ace from?

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
CamperUK - and they accepted they should have picked the damp in their pre-sales checks.

Don't assume Hab checks include a comprehensive damp check unless there's a written report.

After many months absorbing the expertise & opinions from this site I came to the conclusion that second only to layout was dealership. More important than brand, model or style.

All MH's can have issues, even from new so having the faith that the dealer will fix things is paramount.

So I'd personally be more concerned that the dealership was Marquis rather than the brand was Swift.

First question is the warranty transferable, and is it worth the paper its written on.

Would the seller tolerate the vehicle having an independent hab check, will cost you a couple of hundred but could be worth your peace of mind.

Easy to say, but my big tip is not to spend up to your budget. Have buffer for those expensive & inevitable mechanical, habitation or wear & tear bills.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Easy to say, but my big tip is not to spend up to your budget. Have buffer for those expensive & inevitable mechanical, habitation or wear & tear bills.
Yeah, you see that's where we went wrong! We had a budget of £20k, we spent £31k and then took it to VanBitz and spent a further £5k! :D

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yeah, you see that's where we went wrong! We had a budget of £20k, we spent £31k and then took it to VanBitz and spent a further £5k! :D
Indeed, very easy to be seduced by the shiny & the bling :LOL:.

In my own case, the van is older than I'd anticipated but it's a commercial vehicle so actually barely run in. It's a bit rundown & tatty cosmetically & everything is manual not automatic - but it has pretty much everything any other van has... And it all works (y).

(But yes, I succumbed to accessorizing it - gaslow, and cruise control to mention just two)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We bought a swift escape new, no known damp problems when sold a t6 years old, full service and habitation history went with it. Had a problem with fridge not lighting on gas after about 4 years, adjusted and was fine afterwards. Only changed to get a van with a garage.
Friends with a lifestyle 696, now just over a year old have had quite a few problems, niggly things like interior trim coming off, have not found Marquis too good on the after sales.
Would I buy nother swift? yes, used to avoid the VAT, and well checked before purchase. Remember you only hear from the unhappy owners, rarely the pleased ones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Remember you only hear from the unhappy owners, rarely the pleased ones.

I know i suppose that i wouldn't buy any van, but its hard to know whats best.

Im going to have to travel 4 hours to go and see this van so maybe its too far to be disappointed yet again.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I know i suppose that i wouldn't buy any van, but its hard to know whats best.

Im going to have to travel 4 hours to go and see this van so maybe its too far to be disappointed yet again.
Maybe it is...
How close is Marquis who wrote the warranty (nag, is it transferrable to you as a new owner?)
Do you have any accredited repairers nearby?

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just looked at your profile - Becks in Yarmouth are usually well spoken of.

Are you motor mechanically & DIY minded?
If not, buying from a good dealer can bring peace of mind, even though more expensive.

Norwich is a "fine city" but unless local, anywhere is probably a four hour round trip :D - sorry.

Have you had a look at Wellsbridge Motorhomes (about 70 miles from Norwich), usually have a good choice at most prices. AFAIK, a reasonable reputation too.
http://www.wellsbridgemotorhomes.com/

Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Lots of anti Swift comments on these Forums, but also a lot of pro German Biased opinions it seems to me. But if you search the web you can find lots of faults with continental vans, unless you have mega bucks to spend. We have a 64 plate Bessacarr 496 and it is a lovely van. Fiat runs a treat, and we have lived in it for 18 of the last 24 months, round Europe(winter) and uk summer. No issues, except with extra's fitted by Dealer. (Rear camera) And a duff LED that was ordered wrong (dealer) 3 times.
If you use Marquis make sure you go with them to do damp check. They like to sit you in waiting room so you can't see what they do. Not sure how much warranty is worth as most consumer bits only apply to first 12 months of warranty.
But I would buy Swift again based on my experience. (Also had 3 Swift Caravans, also no major issues)

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Maybe you could google search other Motorhome dealerships en- route or nearby to where the swift is, thus making the journey more productive.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The problem with going to look at a van is that you may be doing two very different things at the same time. Firstly you are deciding on whether it is what you want and secondly you are looking for faults, the service history, guarantee, etc.

My advice? Decide on the make and model then find one (or more) for sale. Email the seller with your questions - one of which should be to ask for any known faults to be described to you. You will very quickly be able to decide whether it's worth going to see and whether the seller is someone you want deal with. When you do go to see it you will be able to finalise the deal barring any glaring issues. Email replies from the seller will be a useful record if any issues arise during early ownership.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The problem with going to look at a van is that you may be doing two very different things at the same time. Firstly you are deciding on whether it is what you want and secondly you are looking for faults, the service history, guarantee, etc.

My advice? Decide on the make and model then find one (or more) for sale. Email the seller with your questions - one of which should be to ask for any known faults to be described to you. You will very quickly be able to decide whether it's worth going to see and whether the seller is someone you want deal with. When you do go to see it you will be able to finalise the deal barring any glaring issues. Email replies from the seller will be a useful record if any issues arise during early ownership.
Good advice, that's basically what we did, although we had experience and knew exactly what we wanted (very small shortlist)
We travelled from Bristol to Great Yarmouth and spent five hours going over the vehicle before agreeing a deal.
The van was very well presented and accurately described. The dealer was Simpsons and I'd certainly buy from them again.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We bought our Swift Sundance new from Simpsons at Great Yarmouth nearly 4 years ago. We bought it for a good price (always haggle) and have been very pleased with it.

Swift get a bit of stick for poor quality control but, as has been said, any van can have problems and the bad old days of leaks are generally in the past.

Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just looked at your profile - Becks in Yarmouth are usually well spoken of.

Are you motor mechanically & DIY minded?
If not, buying from a good dealer can bring peace of mind, even though more expensive.

Norwich is a "fine city" but unless local, anywhere is probably a four hour round trip :D - sorry.

Have you had a look at Wellsbridge Motorhomes (about 70 miles from Norwich), usually have a good choice at most prices. AFAIK, a reasonable reputation too.
http://www.wellsbridgemotorhomes.com/

Becks are ok they let us down we had a deal in place and we're ready to pay the deposit and it had sold for more Within an hour or so!

Wellsbridge knew we were driving from Norwich to have a look at a certain van and just as we arrived it had then sold, so a bit of bad luck with the local ones, hence we are travelling Looking within a 200 mile radius

I would buy off of Simpsons as we have been there a lot but they have not got anything in at the moment within our price range.

I am a builder with carpentry skills so I don't think repairs would cause to much of an issue if the situation arose

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back