Hymer step buzzer warning thingy! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Well home again for a few weeks and caught up with the grass cutting and weeding...so now tinkering about on the van (as we do) :rolleyes: until the next trip but not really much to do so....

....the step down warning buzzer has never worked (Hymer b544). I think I've found the buzzer unit in the cupboard with the Elektroblock......so where do I start looking ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think I've found the buzzer unit in the cupboard with the Elektroblock

yip.. that's where it is.. it works off a switch under the step.. mine worked intermittently, I cleaned and made sure the earth was good.. been ok since.

IMG_0325.jpg

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
yip.. that's where it is.. it works off a switch under the step.. mine worked intermittently, I cleaned and made sure the earth was good.. been ok since.

View attachment 121645

Thought it looked a likely suspect...I'll start with looking for the earthing point then...if the rain stays off!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well home again for a few weeks and caught up with the grass cutting and weeding...so now tinkering about on the van (as we do) :rolleyes: until the next trip but not really much to do so....

....the step down warning buzzer has never worked (Hymer b544). I think I've found the buzzer unit in the cupboard with the Elektroblock......so where do I start looking ?
Hi Dave. :)

As @scotjimland says, the bonnet type switch is under the MH, and above the step. Retract the step to gain access. Some times they become sticky due to road dirt, etc, and sometimes it's the terminals which become corroded need a clean up and spray. If it needs a new switch, the bonnet type alarm switch looks as if it would do. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi Dave. :)

As @scotjimland says, the bonnet type switch is under the MH, and above the step. Retract the step to gain access. Some times they become sticky due to road dirt, etc, and sometimes it's the terminals which become corroded need a clean up and spray. If it needs a new switch, the bonnet type alarm switch looks as if it would do. (y)

Cheers,

Hi Jock...many thanks (y)...if the rain keeps off I'll go and have a fiddle. To be honest, so used to never having it that it never gets forgotten as I always check in the mirror if it wasn't me that raised it! Six weeks away and nothing broke for me to fix so thought I'd see if I can get it working!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@scotjimland @JockandRita....I've got the cover off etc and cleaned terminals on the switch and even by-passed the switch and removed the buzzer and tested that on a 12v source and it checks out fine...but still no joy! I'm assuming the ignition just needs to be on without the engine running...any fuses anywhere we know of?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@scotjimland @JockandRita....I've got the cover off etc and cleaned terminals on the switch and even by-passed the switch and removed the buzzer and tested that on a 12v source and it checks out fine...but still no joy! I'm assuming the ignition just needs to be on without the engine running...any fuses anywhere we know of?
No Dave, on mine, the engine needs to be running before the buzzer operates. Ignition only doesn't produce any results. :(

Cheers,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as Jock said.. engine needs to be running

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our B584 step Buzzer works as soon as ignition is turned on and step is out. The switch does pick up a lot of grunge tho!
Maybe the buzzer itself is US!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Cheers @scotjimland and @JockandRita for your input on this little job...all sorted now and buzzing away :).
Added bonus Jock, sounds just like a Mk9 with low air tanks now when I fire it up (y);):LOL::rolleyes:
The MK 9 was my favourite Crash Truck Dave. (y)

Got your ear defenders on then, if the buzzer is that loud? :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Cheers @scotjimland and @JockandRita for your input on this little job...all sorted now and buzzing away :).
Added bonus Jock, sounds just like a Mk9 with low air tanks now when I fire it up (y);):LOL::rolleyes:
Hi there Dave & Ginny,
Sounds like you've managed to sort your intermittent step warning buzzer,any chance of letting me know what the problem was and how you cured it as I have had the same problem for a few weeks now it started to become intermittent but has now stopped working altogether, and to be honest I find it an essential piece of kit. thanks in anticipation, gwyntaxi,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
On a Star-Line, the buzzer is under the left hand seat next to the Elektrobloc. It is stuck to the steel seat base and uses this as a resonating chamber. Mine fell off and became almost silent without the resonant amplification. Simple to reattach using double-sided tape or in my case I fixed it permanently with a thin self-tapping screw. Be careful though as a screw that is a bit too thick will split the buzzer moulding. If the buzzer is still in place, and the thin cables to it are intact, then it suggests the buzzer may have failed.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Many thanks for that JeanLuc will have a poke around under the seat over the weekend. gwyntaxi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back