Illegal Travellers (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Nine weeks ago we were at the Drum Inn in Kent when it was invaded by "Illegal Travellers". At the time the Police and the Owners envisaged a long process to get rid of them.

We just arrived at the Drum Inn and asked how getting rid of the invaders went.

Not so bad said the owner, by some research he found he could use Maggie Thatchers "flying picket" law which basically means any people who prevent a business wholly or partially operating by blockade or occupation can be expelled or arrested. Apparently once this law was invoked they did not hang around.

Maybe a useful tip for other campsite owners !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting but "Maggie Thatchers "flying picket" law" is a bit of a loose description. Any way of finding out which particular piece of legislation (i.e. which Act) the owner used?

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As we're not legal types, if you want accurate legal info Might be best to email them via the Drum Inn website

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I doubt it would be legislation linked to picketing which would be under the Trade Unions Act or similar

More likely Sect 61 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Coming from a mining village i stood on the picket line as a young man . It was mostly peaceful as all of the pickets knew the men and drivers who wanted to cross ect.
When pickets from other areas joined in it changed.
I was standing one day when a police ,platoon, marched up in good order in ill fitting uniforms.
My mate from school standing next to me who had been sent home from the army injured shouted hello sarge . It was his unit, army in police uniforms.
They promptly about turned back to the buss that had brought them.
Im no fan of Maggie, as you might guess, but if one of the laws she made up can be useful use it i say.
I was no fan of Scargill either .Both hurt the working man.
Sorry for hijacking thread a bit(n)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Police do not normally have an 'inspector' giving called out orders, to a 'CORPORAL' as was given in Kent here during the Strike, There were more Police out at strikes than the Police have, and yet the towns and cities still had them there as well.
Funny that!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
It was staffed a lot with overtime, many officers made thousands

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Reply received: "Contact your local police and try to find out who is your local gypsy liaison officer more informed then me I believe it was section 1 or 101 of the prevention of trade and labour act".

I had a look and there is no Act of that name. However, looking briefly at legislation passed during the time of the Thatcher government, aimed at dealing with trades unions, it appears that some provisions of the Public Order Act 1986 (including S1, Riot, and S14, Public Assemblies) might be able to be applied.

I don't think Cleveland Police has a gypsy liaison officer though I know local authorities do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back