Add motor to existing drop down bed (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
I've got a 2015 Carthago, with a drop down bed.
The bed is very heavy to lift up and down and so I'm wondering if its possible to buy a kit to make it motorised?

Carthago sell a motorised bed as an upgrade, and I'm guessing that its the same bed mechanism that they use.

Thanks
Robert

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Have you had the bed checked as there may be something wrong with the existing mechanism? I have had 3 Hymers and a Frankia, all with drop-down beds, none of them were heavy to move either up or down, I would be surprised if Cathargos were inherently more difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you had the bed checked as there may be something wrong with the existing mechanism? I have had 3 Hymers and a Frankia, all with drop-down beds, none of them were heavy to move either up or down, I would be surprised if Cathargos were inherently more difficult.
Maybe heavy is the wrong word, its just akward as I don't have a great range of movement in my shoulders and its that last few inches of lifting, and getting it to 'catch' thats the problem. Its also a tight fit against the ceiling and any bedding has the impression of the roof window on it
Moves smoothly otherwise

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Maybe heavy is the wrong word, its just akward as I don't have a great range of movement in my shoulders and its that last few inches of lifting, and getting it to 'catch' thats the problem. Its also a tight fit against the ceiling and any bedding has the impression of the roof window on it
Moves smoothly otherwise
Still nice to get into a bed with freshly pressed sheets each night:)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you trying to lift it with Mrs C still in it?
Actually no Dave - but that sounds like a plan for when she's got the sulks
We have an island bed, so don't sleep in it.
We just keep spare bedding up there

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Moves smoothly otherwise

On my older Hymers there was plenty of room for bedding and the retaining system would allow for quite a bulk on the bed. On my Frankia, and looking at other recent MHs, they seem to have achieved a neater effect by the bed docking higher, but that leave little room for the bedding. Mine can cope with a duvet and the thickness of a memory foam pillow, but it goes noticeably higher when there is no bedding, and that is related to the thickness of the bedding rather than my ability to lift the extra weight. I only have a drop-down bed so it is generally left in a made-up condition.

If your spare bedding is crushed against the roof vent I would expect the same to happen with an electric bed, maybe even the motor would trip out when it felt the resistance?

If I had a drop-down bed which I never used because of having a fixed bed, I would be taking out the mattress and freeing up more storage and giving myself an easier time lifting the bed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
assuming its assisted by gas struts you could get those uprated my boy has two sets for his vw lift up tail gate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back