Just joined! looking for 1st motorhome. (1 Viewer)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Hi All, just joined the forum. Had this mad idea to let our house, buy a motorhome and travel europe with our dog for a year. (y)
will have loads of questions, and was hoping that you lovely members would help us out with our queries.
cheers Jezza:hiya2:

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Welcome to the forum. We are newbies as well - not quite as brave as you are though, we aren't thinking of a year away. As newbies who have just found their first MH, our advice would be to go everywhere and look at everything so you can pin down the design and size which suits you best. And take a book or a newspaper when you are trying out serious contenders. Seating which feels fine for a few minutes can be very uncomfortable after an hour or so, hence the newspaper.

As for questions, you will always find the members happy to help. And they are a very knowledgeable bunch.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Thank you. WoW! you are soo right. I didnt realise there were soo many different types of motorhomes until i stated looking. Over cab beds, lowline, tag axles, rear lounges, beds thats come down electronically, it is amazing what you can get into a little space. Been to one showroom, but didnt get to go inside the vans, but i did like the burstner i saw.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @jessthedog WELCOME, not much of a motorhome showroom if you can't get inside the vans, you need to get inside as many as you can and work out how you will be living and using the space.

and you will get all your questions answered her but you will need to become a paid up member.

Martin

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome !:welcome3:
You have to try loads of vans ,try the beds,try the loo( well not literally. !!) but see if it's doable for you. Most dealers let you browse at your leisure so try another if possible! Good luck !!

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
To be honest, I cant get myself away from the internet at the mo, looking at different combinations, so said to wife last weekend, do you want to come and have a look at some motorhomes. It was off the cuff, last minute dot.com. We took the dog, so wasn't an ideal scenario of looking at the motorhomes. The good thing at the mo, is the wife is driving a van as her part time job, so 2 drivers!!! happy days.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Hi @jessthedog WELCOME, not much of a motorhome showroom if you can't get inside the vans, you need to get inside as many as you can and work out how you will be living and using the space.

and you will get all your questions answered her but you will need to become a paid up member.

Martin
Thanks for advice funflair, Looking at your home, you neednt of worried, it looks an enormous beautiful motorhome with all the bells and whistles.
how do you find the size for driving in uk and europe. I've driven large HGV's in my time, but my i let my HGV licence lapse when I reached 50.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Welcome to the forum. We are newbies as well - not quite as brave as you are though, we aren't thinking of a year away. As newbies who have just found their first MH, our advice would be to go everywhere and look at everything so you can pin down the design and size which suits you best. And take a book or a newspaper when you are trying out serious contenders. Seating which feels fine for a few minutes can be very uncomfortable after an hour or so, hence the newspaper.

As for questions, you will always find the members happy to help. And they are a very knowledgeable bunch.

Thanks Spanda. Good advice. Out of all the vans you must have seen. What made you get the Swift? I know budget is the main thing, but there are soo many that are similar prices for the same type. I have looked at yours on-line, and it seems to have a good kitchen lay out with a lot of worktop space and a nice size lounge. If you put all the things you want into the mix, you end up with 150 grand concorde or something.
Is buying a motorhome all about comprises?
cheers

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for advice funflair, Looking at your home, you neednt of worried, it looks an enormous beautiful motorhome with all the bells and whistles.
how do you find the size for driving in uk and europe. I've driven large HGV's in my time, but my i let my HGV licence lapse when I reached 50.

Hi its not enormous at 8.5 metres but only 6 ton so no licence problems, I accept it is on the larger side of average though, driving in the UK and abroad I don't find a problem and have been in and out of some tight spots (Mrs Funflair panics a bit though), the times we realise its a bit larger than average is parking next to a 6.5 or 7 metre van we do tend to stick out a bit, if you have driven HGV's I can't see you having problems with the driving but of course you can't control the size of parking spaces in sites and Aires.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
thank you for all your warm salutations. How do I become a paid up member?
Hi @jessthedog I was hoping somebody who joined later than me could remember what they did, have a look at the top dark blue bar and there is a heading tab "subscribe" I think that will be a good start.

Martin

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Yes, the difficulty is knowing where you are prepared to compromise. 3 vans later I thought I really wanted a fixed bed ................. now I want a rear lounge!
Oh, and
View attachment 121386
Hi, The Dude. Thank you.
At the moment, it seems like a minefield. I noticed you have a pilote, which I have looked at. What has the A class have over a c class? Is the lounge area at the front with swivel seats, comfortable enough for long periods?
I've only been looking for a few weeks (hours!!! on internet), but it seems some of the british built vans have the bigger lounges and better layout of kitchens. A lot of The european vans an oven is even an extra on new. Theses are then sometime placed high above the fridge freezer etc.
Its not as easy as it seems. I've read that it takes people 3 to 4 vehicles before they get the right one for them!
I've booked show at NEC in oct.
cheers

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good Morning I see you have joined and are now officially a Funster, you now have so much information at a click of the finger. Good advice at the click of a finger ask as many questions as you need, so many combinations of vans out there if you are going to be full timing in it for 12months it rains in Europe as well, think of pay load / storage / check for damp no matter what age van, most of all be careful of scams on eBay, there are many, if it sounds too cheap it is often a scam.
Get your self to some dealers sit in them imagine cooking in them, is the bathroom comfortable . If you are fit then consider a drop down bed they are very comfortable and free up a lot of room.
If you would look around a 6meter van with a fare bit of storage put ' Carol and Eddie' into you- tube you will get a good look around the inside of our van and probably have a laugh as well. (And they said only one to speak so that's why Eddie is the quiet one) good luck
:welcomesign:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
At the moment, it seems like a minefield. I noticed you have a pilote, which I have looked at. What has the A class have over a c class? Is the lounge area at the front with swivel seats, comfortable enough for long periods?
Our last 2 vans were C class. The last one was a Autotrail Savannah with a front lounge and rear twin fixed beds and a real oven (!) - I loved the interior of this van, but husband said it drove like a brick and wanted an A class, so we got the Pilote. The lounge area is comfortable however the table is IMO over engineered and bulky and I know a lot of people have had them removed and fitted something smaller.
A lot of The european vans an oven is even an extra on new. Theses are then sometime placed high above the fridge freezer etc.
I hate the oven in our Pilote. It is part of the TechTower and virtually useless and not easy to reach. As a result we have since bought a Weber BBQ and a double skillet to compensate.
OK, that's the downside. On the upside I love the Alde heating, the mood lighting, the electric front screen, the comfort of the electronic bed, and the view out of the front window. As I said, it's all a compromise and what you may be prepared to compromise on your other half may not. Expect to have some 'in depth' discussions.
Broken Link Removed
However, you've made the first and best decision and that is to start motorhoming - it's a wonderful life. Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Our last 2 vans were C class. The last one was a Autotrail Savannah with a front lounge and rear twin fixed beds and a real oven (!) - I loved the interior of this van, but husband said it drove like a brick and wanted an A class, so we got the Pilote. The lounge area is comfortable however the table is IMO over engineered and bulky and I know a lot of people have had them removed and fitted something smaller.

I hate the oven in our Pilote. It is part of the TechTower and virtually useless and not easy to reach. As a result we have since bought a Weber BBQ and a double skillet to compensate.
OK, that's the downside. On the upside I love the Alde heating, the mood lighting, the electric front screen, the comfort of the electronic bed, and the view out of the front window. As I said, it's all a compromise and what you may be prepared to compromise on your other half may not. Expect to have some 'in depth' discussions.
Broken Link Removed
However, you've made the first and best decision and that is to start motorhoming - it's a wonderful life. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks. You seem to have the problem i was worried about with the European kitchens. If you have an awning and a safari room, most of the time, you could do what you have, cook on a outside skillet etc. So an outside gas connection on list.
Your other half says the c class drove like a brick! I wonder if it was just that make and model, or that A class drive better?
Looked at the Autotrail, looks good. So you need the savannah interior in an A class! ha ha

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Good Morning I see you have joined and are now officially a Funster, you now have so much information at a click of the finger. Good advice at the click of a finger ask as many questions as you need, so many combinations of vans out there if you are going to be full timing in it for 12months it rains in Europe as well, think of pay load / storage / check for damp no matter what age van, most of all be careful of scams on eBay, there are many, if it sounds too cheap it is often a scam.
Get your self to some dealers sit in them imagine cooking in them, is the bathroom comfortable . If you are fit then consider a drop down bed they are very comfortable and free up a lot of room.
If you would look around a 6meter van with a fare bit of storage put ' Carol and Eddie' into you- tube you will get a good look around the inside of our van and probably have a laugh as well. (And they said only one to speak so that's why Eddie is the quiet one) good luck
:welcomesign:
Thanks Carol, Just looked you up on You tube. Nice home and You're a great presenter.:smiley:
Interesting about weight. A lot of the European A class ive been looking at, have big garages and are plated higher than the normal british of 3500kg.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Jessthedog, if you are considering over-wintering in your motorhome which I assume you are from your initial post, then I would consider an A class van as opposed to C class. The difference being the A class starts life as a bare chassis with an engine and a steering wheel, the body is put on in its entirety by the motorhome supplier. C class start life as a chassis with a cab already fitted by the chassis manufacturer i.e. Transit, Ducato etc, then the body is attached to the cab by the moho supplier. Generally speaking, European A class vans are far better insulated for year round use. There are very few British manufacturers who build A class mohos.

IMO also consider the motorhome heating again for over wintering. Wet central heating such as Alde is far more comfortable and controllable than the blown air type such as Truma. There are loads of other factors which you will need to consider but Im sure there will be other Funsters along to give their advice.

Not everybody's cup of tea but they don't build em like this any more

Regards
Ken & Lynda

PS - We have a terrier(ist) called Jess

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Hi Jessthedog, if you are considering over-wintering in your motorhome which I assume you are from your initial post, then I would consider an A class van as opposed to C class. The difference being the A class starts life as a bare chassis with an engine and a steering wheel, the body is put on in its entirety by the motorhome supplier. C class start life as a chassis with a cab already fitted by the chassis manufacturer i.e. Transit, Ducato etc, then the body is attached to the cab by the moho supplier. Generally speaking, European A class vans are far better insulated for year round use. There are very few British manufacturers who build A class mohos.

IMO also consider the motorhome heating again for over wintering. Wet central heating such as Alde is far more comfortable and controllable than the blown air type such as Truma. There are loads of other factors which you will need to consider but Im sure there will be other Funsters along to give their advice.

Not everybody's cup of tea but they don't build em like this any more

Regards
Ken & Lynda

PS - We have a terrier(ist) called Jess
Thanks Canopus, great advice. So an A class then? Compromises! I don't really want to spend more than 50K, so it will be a 2nd hand one
We will be Europe most of the time, so maybe buying a LHD? Lots of questions!
That Mercedes based Carthago above is a beast.
We have a 2 year old Weimerarner, a German manufacturer, but built in Britain. Ha ha
Cheers

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
One other thing I should have mentioned is payload. If you're going to be living in the van for extended periods then you will have all your trammel plus the kitchen sink. Also a Weimeranner must weigh at least 20kg's so payload is another important consideration. The harsh reality is that many mohos are overloaded and the owners are blissfully unaware. Should you get stopped and weighed then the consequences could be costly. The Carthago is not such a beast being only 7.7 Mts but it has a decent payload.

Overall length 7.7m / 25'2"
Overall width 2.34m / 7'6"
Overall height 3.22m / 10'5
800kgs payload.

If you are serious about LHD then look on
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.