Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
As a follow on question from, When size matters and becomes an issue .... ?, I have another question regarding leveling a MH on site.

Looking at brochures I’ve not seen any reference to auto levelers or even wind down ‘stays’ to act as levelers on MH. Although I have seen them as aftermarket items

Is this not an issue or is it dealt with in a different manner ?

Alistair

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Wind down stays are only to stabalise the MH and are not on all MHs. We have them but never use them. You level a MH by using ramps, there are several different makes but we prefer the Milenco Quatros which are higher than most.

Denise

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As long as you are parked within the level tolerances of your fridge you should be OK. Most people use ramps to achieve this. Others use hydraulic rams some use whatever is at hand. :)

levels.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We used to use ramps but now have hydraulics they are great although expensive mainly because they stabilise the van there is no movement once elevated. You can have them fitted as extras on new vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another vote for Milenco Quattro. Broken Link Removed

these are great but they are quite bulky.. so check you have space to store before buying ..

Dimensions 21cm high x 25cm wide x 81cm long

Weight: 3.8kg per level

Wind down steadies stop the van rocking, .. as said.. they are not used for levelling

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got the "inferior" Fiamma levelling ramps but seldom ever use them.

As long as the fridge works and nothing slides off the table it's level enough for me.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Levelling is not an issue for new van owners. Its the poor so and so who buys the van in later years that pays the price of poor levelling. It takes time for the fridge gasses to separate through being off level, so its never found until the van is a few years old. I have forgotten how many times I have had to lay out another £700 or so on a new fridge for a van thats never been levelled.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For those that think levelling does not affect the fridge. The gas jet in a condenser fridge is minute, so minute that sticking a pin in it to clean it will destroy it. The flame is only small, but creates a lot of heat. This flame is in a small tube or chimney, so image what will happen if after you light a candle, you then tip it at an angle. It will not burn correctly. Now, imagine an old oil lamp with glass funnel chimney. When lit and you tipped it only slightly to one side. The glass would blacken and eventually possibly break. When you run a fridge on gas when it is off level, the chimney soots up, and it does not work well. The fridge thermostat tries to compensate for this by turning the gas up, that over a period of time boils the gasses and destroys the fridge. How many times do we have threads by people whos fridge will not work on gas only to find its sooted up. Do the next owner a favour and park it level.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In addition to Daves good advice..

irrespective of LPG/12v/240v it has to be 'reasonably level' to operate properly.. if it is out of level it is also possible to damage the ammonia boiler as the liquid ammonia will not be at the correct level..

From Dometic

absorption cooling system

In an absorption refrigerator system, ammonia is liquid in the finned condenser coil at the top rear of the refrigerator. The liquid ammonia then flows into the evaporator (inside the freezer section) and is exposed to a circulating flow of hydro- gen gas, which causes the ammonia to evaporate, creating a cold condition in the freezer.

When starting this refrigerator for the very first time, the coolling cycle may require up to four hours of running time before the cooling unit is fully operational. The tubing in the evaporator section is specially sloped to provide a continuous movement of liquid ammonia, flowing downward by gravity through this section.

Levelling the refrigerator

Leveling is one of the requirements for proper operation with absorption refrigerators. To ensure proper leveling the vehicle needs to be leveled so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls).

Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrig- erator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I bought a small spirit level at the Peterborough motorhome show for a Quid and the dealer gave us a set of fiamma ramps in a sturdy nylon case that seem to do the job fine.

The fridge seems happy enough and SWMBO has not rolled out of bed yet!

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
As long as you are parked within the level tolerances of your fridge you should be OK. Most people use ramps to achieve this. Others use hydraulic rams some use whatever is at hand. :)

levels.jpg
Wow that looks scary!!!!

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Milenco Quattro. Broken Link Removed

these are great but they are quite bulky.. so check you have space to store before buying ..

Dimensions 21cm high x 25cm wide x 81cm long

Weight: 3.8kg per level

Wind down steadies stop the van rocking, .. as said.. they are not used for levelling
Have you got room under your van to attach them as Cliff has done - no need for bags and doesn't matter if they get muddy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you got room under your van to attach them as Cliff has done - no need for bags and doesn't matter if they get muddy!

good idea.. and yes, probably have room..
only problem I see with that idea is they will be dirty when you go to use them..

at present mine live in one of the small side lockers .. between the double floor .. and if dirty, washed before storing

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
good idea.. and yes, probably have room..
only problem I see with that idea is they will be dirty when you go to use them..

at present mine live in one of the small side lockers .. between the double floor .. and if dirty, washed before storing
Cliff's never been a fan of bags (ask @Mousy !) so his idea was to keep them outside, so he would never have to wash them and put them into the bags to store inside - win win situation in his mind - and as it would probably be me who would have to hose them off, its a win win for me too!

They took up so much space in our locker, so to have them outside is a really good way to carry them. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Many thanks for all your answers and suggestions it leaves me with a dilemma though the price of hydrolics seems rather offputting

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it leaves me with a dilemma though the price of hydrolics seems rather offputting

what is the dilemma ?

99% of European motorhomes don't have hydraulic levellers..

Most pitches are reasonably flat.. as are nearly all aires.. in the past year touring I've only needed my Milenco levellers a couple of times.

Hydraulic are expensive, heavy ( lost payload ) and not without problems.. (see other thread)

Originally fitted to heavy USRVs which have plenty of payload and made it easy to level a big heavy motorhome .. I tried using Fiamma ramps with an RV and it crushed them.

A nice toy .. easy to level without fuss ... and useful for servicing the brakes .. but IMV.. completely unnecessary on a small euro motorhome

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you have just spent £15k or £20k on a first van to see if you like the lifestyle then spending another £5k on hydraulic levelling could be concidered a little silly, on the other hand if you have ploughed good money into the van you know is right for you and you are keeping for a long time the I don't think a £5k upgrade on hydraulic levelling is a bad idea, in fact I think it's a great idea as they are brilliant.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back