Feb 19, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohawk
Exp
Getting longer
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to the Lakes in September hopefully stopping at the following - Patley Bridge - Glenridding - Hawkshead - Ravenglass. The question is, is the A592 (Kirkstone Pass) drivable in a 7.5m van or would I have to double back to the A66 and go down the A591?

Thanks in anticipation
Mick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The Kirkstone Pass is fine for far bigger vehicles than motorhomes. As long as it's not snowing or stormy don't worry about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
The big posh coaches with those large P45 mirrors use it all the time. This time of year weather not usually a problem, it can be at other times.

OP
OP
poolie18

poolie18

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohawk
Exp
Getting longer
Cheers guys. Just needed a heads up as I haven't been over that way for years and couldn't remember if would be too steep/tight for a big van.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
As someone who lives nearby I can tell you that the coaches struggle on the section from Kirkstone Pass to Troutbeck because in parts it is narrow and meandering. Often the come to a halt whist a lorry tries to get passed from the opposite direction. The same applies to the road down into Ambleside appropriately named "The Struggle"

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just did Ambleside to Hawkeshead in a 7m coach built, had to pull up on a couple of occasions but it's not really an issue if you take it canny and as others have said, 52 seaters manage it, although when you see one of those coming towards you, you tend to exercise a bit of caution, whereas oncoming traffic sometimes don't appreciate how wide a motorhome might be. Roads will be a fair bit quieter in September though.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just did Ambleside to Hawkeshead in a 7m coach built, had to pull up on a couple of occasions but it's not really an issue if you take it canny and as others have said, 52 seaters manage it, although when you see one of those coming towards you, you tend to exercise a bit of caution, whereas oncoming traffic sometimes don't appreciate how wide a motorhome might be. Roads will be a fair bit quieter in September though.
Ambleside to Hawkshead via Kirkstone Pass?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The same applies to the road down into Ambleside appropriately named "The Struggle"

I went down that in a car once years ago. It's aptly named isn't it?

I definitely wouldn't recommend trying it in a MH (y)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to the Lakes in September hopefully stopping at the following - Patley Bridge - Glenridding - Hawkshead - Ravenglass. The question is, is the A592 (Kirkstone Pass) drivable in a 7.5m van or would I have to double back to the A66 and go down the A591?

Thanks in anticipation
Mick
Bottom of Kirkstone pass overnight.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 20

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.