Pre-purchase considerations for first UK campervan (1 Viewer)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I'm sorry, I know these threads must get repetitive. I promise I have had a trawl through this site - but I didn't see exactly what I was searching for.

We're newish to the UK, and looking to travel for 6-8 months next year through Europe. I'm a British citizen (dual), and have been a resident here in London for 12 months. I (will) have a UK drivers license.

I'm soon to be 35, with 'lifetime rating 1' insurance from Australia, but never had insurance in UK. Do many companies accept this non-UK no-claim insurance history?

I was hoping to buy a LHD, as we plan to spend the majority of our time in Europe. I'm assuming this will affect things greatly?

What about body type, or engine type? Much difference to premiums?

Also, we live in South London (SW9), and would have to park on the street. Again, I assume this makes a big difference? Does having an alarm/immobiliser do much to premiums?

For reference, we're looking at spending £6-8k on an older (1990s) 3-4 birth campervan (with bathroom).

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Hello if your parking or using in London make sure the vehicle is LEZ compliant . Google LEZ checker (y)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
STOP. Look into LEZ issue first, at that price I doubt you could get a van that you are allowed to use in London without significant penalties.

LEZ Low Emmission Zone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Wow... This LEZ is new to me. This will change things significantly. I remember seeing the signs on the M4 - but had no idea how strict it was, or that it was £100/day!! I cycle in central London, and I can't believe that some of the vans that I see are compliant!

So, as I interpret their site - I either buy a sub-2,500Kg van, I buy a non-Diesel, or I fit a particulate trap. (Or I leave it outside of London). (Or pay £100/day to drive it).

Thanks for the heads up, folks.

Deleted User
Suggest you store outside London, near a RLY station etc. Then avoid taking into the zone at all.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
forget the weight limits there are virtually no vans light enough to qualify its either petrol or deisel thats euro 4 but if over 3.5 tonnes then its euro 5

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Correct me if wrong, I thought the 1990s petrol engined Talbot/Ducato etc autosleepers/murvis etc were allowed into London

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I believe LEZ refers only to diesel. Petrol and LPG can be as dirty as you like. However if touring Europe diesel is better as it's cheaper and delivers much more MPG. Best of luck!

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Yeah, I've given up for the time being. We were just going to purchase a small wagon for weekend trips, until I actually contacted some insurance companies, and laughed (out of pain) at their quotes - £1200 for a £500 car?

My problem is, although I've been driving for over 15 years without incident, I have just had to trade my Australian license for a British license, and have technically only had that for a few months, so I'm being treated like a learner driver.

I'm still trying to work out what we can do for next year, as we don't plan to live in the UK after purchasing the van. I had briefly considered registering myself at a friend's house in France, or Spain or Germany, but the new issues regarding proof of residence and health insurance are frustrating enough for me to stop considering it.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Have you tried AiB insurance who are a broker and offer funsters a discount?
I'll admit, I haven't yet. They did try to call me back, but this was just after I learnt about LEZ so I'd temporarily given up.

I do plan to give them a call and work on different scenarios - including changing my address to be one with family outside of London. Thanks for the friendly reminder!

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
I found a van that I was interested in, meets LEZ, and called insurance to get a quote today.

Now, my next hurdle - I find that as I have translated my Australian license into a UK license roughly six months ago, I am considered as having a UK license for only six months - and AiB has told me that no insurance company will insure me.

I'd believed (and maybe I was told incorrectly) that my license was valid from the start date (which was the last time I renewed my Australian license in 2013), not from the date that I actually did the conversion.

How does any non long term UK resident even get insurance? This is getting ridiculous, I thought I'd managed to jump through all the hoops already...

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we met a couple from Australia in Italy this year, what they did was buy a camper in Germany from a dealer and they register it at the dealers and he has given them a guaranteed buy back price, and it worked out a lot better than hiring, also solved the problem with insurance. :LOL: Bob.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hi we met a couple from Australia in Italy this year, what they did was buy a camper in Germany from a dealer and they register it at the dealers and he has given them a guaranteed buy back price, and it worked out a lot better than hiring, also solved the problem with insurance. :LOL: Bob.
That sounds perfect and incredible. Would you have their contact details at all? I have been trying to work out a way to not purchase here in UK, but every option I have found, involves more complications and risks...

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry we did not get any contact details, but we have a member on fun who is Australian who did buy a new motorhome here and shipped it back home, send @the-wizened-of-oz Tom and Sue a pm I'm sure he will give you some advise. :)
Probably top on the list will be, ;) if you go to a fun rally don't drink too much. :LOL: Bob.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/members/the-wizened-of-oz.19502/

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back