My how Google maps has improved over the last few years (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I traveled around a very busy North Circular a couple of times this week in a van using my phone for a sat nav. Incredible bit of kit, it even now has real time roadworks and congestion monitoring. It has a whole heap of additional sounds and alarms and clear voices all added since I last used it. I will be using it abroad soon on Three Free wifi. How did we ever manage before Smart phones.(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I traveled around a very busy North Circular a couple of times this week in a van using my phone for a sat nav. Incredible bit of kit, it even now has real time roadworks and congestion monitoring. It has a whole heap of additional sounds and alarms and clear voices all added since I last used it. I will be using it abroad soon on Three Free wifi. How did we ever manage before Smart phones.(y)
I have been saying this for a couple of years now, just don't know why people keep persevering with dedicated sat navs if you have a smart phone , no downloads upgrades or anything else , they are up to date every time you switch them on , real time pois and just no comparison(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you like google maps, try "here maps" downloads to any platform, and works as well as Google but offline.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I left my satnave in the camper this mornig
Realised when I got to the yard
Turned on maps Used it but not grate for what I do.
Pity it doesn't have truck mode but I managed.
I have sume very good 1/25000 1/50000 OS maps
Of my delivery area's
Bill

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Got to agree with you. Bought a new sat nav to take to France. Set it to avoid toll roads and the totally inappropriate roads it sent us down were mind boggling, especially when we could see better roads on the map. Admittidly, we're not technically minded and couldn't figure out how to put our own route in. We had an AA Europe map which didn't show all road numbers. Bought a France only map and that showed a lot more but not all. The only decent map turned out to be Google, which showed all numbers and thank god for that, although looking at a small I phone 5 screen wasn't ideal and I couldn't find the how to switch it toll free. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
So what's generally regarded as the best maps app for a smart phone or tablet? I currently use a Garmin and like to plot my own routes on Basecamp which works very well...but I don't get live updates etc which would seem useful to have.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Best of luck with that :)
I've used it in Spain Cyprus and America before absolutely no problem. Picking up a car at JFK and heading north out of NY can be a nightmare if you cross the wrong bridge but using Google maps is a breeze. I will be using it from Palma airport next week to get to Cala D'or.
Why the best of luck....:):cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've used it in Spain Cyprus and America before absolutely no problem. Picking up a car at JFK and heading north out of NY can be a nightmare if you cross the wrong bridge but using Google maps is a breeze. I will be using it from Palma airport next week to get to Cala D'or.
Why the best of luck....:):cool:

If it uses data in France and Spain to navigate then relying upon it is folly. Its worked for me but its too intermittent.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If it uses data in France and Spain to navigate then relying upon it is folly. Its worked for me but its too intermittent.
France and Spain now crossed off of my holiday list:) I have used it with Three a couple of times in Majorca without any problems perhaps it is a better system from the main land.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So what's generally regarded as the best maps app for a smart phone or tablet? I currently use a Garmin and like to plot my own routes on Basecamp which works very well...but I don't get live updates etc which would seem useful to have.
Don't know which is best, but anyone interested, this is a link to here maps it's free to download and use
https://wego.here.com/?map=54.54392,-2.1813,8,normal
Edit and works offline

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I much prefer my Garmin camper model, map updates for life.. with live traffic .. it also talks to my phone and finds places nearby .. lovely big screen, it is so much more than a simple sat nav..

Tried phones.. screens too small and Samsung phone overheated and shut down.. .. ok in an emergency I guess. and the iPhone map is good when out walking in towns..

For driving.. IMO can't beat a dedicated unit with the POIs of your choice loaded..

This is going to become a 'horses for courses' thread... no right or wrong.. just what you prefer..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I will stick with my mate Thomas, use it on an old IPad, sometimes have to use a bit o commen sense

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Have used "waze" on the phone in the south east

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Sygic Free seems to work fine but may have to pay for Europe, but not sure.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back