Rally Chat Malvern Show - Shower Block (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I am not one to complain usually (honestly!) but I just had to write to 3 Counties regarding the ladies shower block which us Funsters had to use at this year's show. Got a response within the hour, although I'm not sure if she means this winter or some winter in the future. Here it is.

Sent: 23 August 2016 09:49
To: Claire Amott
Subject: 3 Counties motorhome show 11-15 August 2016 - Shower Block

We attended this show as part of a motorhome club rally. The nearest shower block to our allocated pitches was the one near to the Stockmans Cafe. In all our years of motorhoming and attending various shows and rallies both in the UK and across Europe I have rarely seen a poorer and dirtier shower block. The plumbing was woefully inadequate and there were not enough shower cubicles for the number of people pitched there – whatever time of the day I visited the shower block there were queues. All the walls and ceilings were covered in dust and spiders webs and the ancient heater had a thick film of dust and grease on it (fortunately the weather was excellent so it wasn’t required, although I doubt if it still works). Furthermore, given that the majority of motorhomes do not have a generator and none are on EHU there should at least be a couple of power points for hairdryers. I am not sure what the other shower blocks on your site are like but I really feel that, given the number of people who attend these kind of shows, you should really be able to provide better facilities than these.

On the plus side, the show and the entertainment was very good.

Regards,

Ann Holdsworth

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
To
Message body
Dear Ann,

Thank you go your email.

We have taken your comments on board and you are right they are not the best on the Showground. They were built in the 1950’s purely for the stockman during the show and they were suitable but over the years they have become very dated and we are aware they we must invest in them. This will be a winter project for the future.

We are pleased that you had a goodtime at the show and enjoyed the entertainment.

Kind Regards

Claire

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Paphraps a mobile shower block
for funsters saw some in general
as driving through .we use the shower in the van but can be nice to use facilites sometimes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We always use the shower in the van, even on the odd occasion we use sites. Where showers are charged extra it's invariably cheaper to use gas in the van to heat the water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You should write also to Warners shows. I will too. We have a larger shower in our RV that we do in our home bedroom ensuite so I never get to sample the showers at Malvern, but they do sound disgusting. There are excellent portable showers and one of those in our area would be a welcome addition. You can contact Sally Dodds, head of events http://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/head-of-events/ or write to her here.

Sally Dodds
Head of Events
Warners Group Publications Plc
The Maltings
West Street
Bourne
Lincolnshire
PE10 9PH

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Have just emailed warners with a pleasantly
worded suggestion for showers for next year.
hopefully if they get enough feedback they might oblige .
l

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There are excellent portable showers and one of those in our area would be a welcome addition.
With three of us we have used the portable (white cabin block) shower units at both the Warners Newbury Motorhome Show earlier this year & at Retrofestival (same showground) & these were much better than the main building facilities at Newbury or Malvern Showgrounds. For big/long rallies having good toilet & shower facilities nearby makes it more convenient especially for family groups so would hopefully encourage more bookings so better for everyone :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the showers in the outer camping fields were great and i must say the toilets were kept very clean and well stocked with paper and hand sanitiser the whole weekend

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I was impressed when I arrived to find that the block and mobile showers that were available for MCC (sorry Jim) were both clean and fresh smelling. I wish I could say the same for when we left, by which time they had deteriorated significantly!

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
At the blues festival at upton the portable showers and loos were very good
We mentioned this on a earlier Upton post & recommended that Warners (and other show organisers) got their act together. They are losing lots of paying motorhomers & caravanners due to these squalid conditions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... what's a shower ... ???? :imoutahere:

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
OK, another stupid question but for those of you using showers in your vans, what did you do about grey water? We were told there were no grey water disposal facilities. I used the shower block & agree with the OP it was pretty dreadful.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Some people were emptying grey water into the chemical toilet tank; I took mine home. I did use through gents Stockman showers and thought they were just about acceptable. Comments onsite made me think the female block was worse.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
We don't often go to places where there are showers available, but we were very impressed with the facilities at Hockenheim during the F! week-end. OK, the camping isn't cheap, but the showers were spotless, as were the toilets. I think all the facilities were cleaned at least twice a day.

There were queues from time to time for the ladies showers (no comments from me about personal cleanliness or time spent showering), but with a mobile diesel-powered water heater adjacent there was no shortage of hot water. Electricity was easily available if you had plenty of cable length. I usually carry two cables if I think I may need both.

J

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were told there were no grey water disposal facilities.
Warners say that for all their shows, including Peterborough where there are several purpose built grey waste drains alongside Elsan points and fresh water taps. What they mean is that there are no motorhome service points to discharge the tank into directly.
In the past I have emptied grey waste into the black disposal points (where a manhole was in use) along with many other people.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
OK, another stupid question but for those of you using showers in your vans, what did you do about grey water? We were told there were no grey water disposal facilities. I used the shower block & agree with the OP it was pretty dreadful.
Buckets under many vans...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry.

I will never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever understand folk who have fully equipped motorhomes (not basic hippy style campervans) but still wander off through damp fields, in their dressing gowns, clutching all the necessary paraphernalia, stand in a queue, to use public showers...

Yuck... yuck... yuck... yuck... yuck.

JJ :cool:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Nor people who take washing upto the sinks either, isn't that why they put sinks and showers into vans?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have ensuite facilities in my van ;-)

Reactions: JJ
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Having been disappointed with shower blocks in the past we always use the van shower (better than using it as a storage room!) My better half has a 12v hairdryer, only luke warm air and not really a styling dryer but it does the job.
at Malvern we had to stay on the ATOC field as i could not get on the MHF bit. I was surprised to see that most vans had attached large pipes to the grey water tap and freely dumping grey water on the ground. I actually asked a marshall if this was ok, the reply was

when you lot have gone we have cattle freely roaming, grey water is not a problem, the cows can put up with it
so long as you can put up with what they leave behind!'

So, have a shower in the comfort of your van and water the grass.
So you see, either take it home or ask a marshall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back