What network are you on for 3+ month in the eu? (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I just found out that 3 network, can suspend your phone, if it is used for more than 2 continuous months in the eu.
With EE it is 3 continuous months.

How to get around this problem?

Thanks

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've been using Three Feel at Home since November. Great signal here and France and Spain.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I just found out that 3 network, can suspend your phone, if it is used for more than 2 continuous months in the eu.
With EE it is 3 continuous months.

How to get around this problem?

Thanks
If you are on pay and go, use two sims.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just use more than one Three card and after 8 weeks or so I swapped to another card. On our last eleven week jaunt I had three payg sim cards. The main one was a 12Gb card. The others I just topped up as required. The 12Gb is the best value for money.

Be careful with EE, their roaming charges are very high I think.

But what's best for you depends on usage. If you only want to log in briefly for a short period once a week or so then O2 might be cheapest. If you are staying in one country for a long period a local card might be best.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Thank you for your replies. With buying pay as you go, surely you need to give an e-mail address ? Then they might see the same e-mail address used often. 2nd question is I have a business so would prefer to keep my same number. Has anyone travelled more than 3 months on a SIM only contract with either ee or 3 ? Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you for your replies. With buying pay as you go, surely you need to give an e-mail address ? Then they might see the same e-mail address used often. 2nd question is I have a business so would prefer to keep my same number. Has anyone travelled more than 3 months on a SIM only contract with either ee or 3 ? Thanks
You may be able to set up call forwarding/divert on your existing '3' phone sim to another one but you're likely to then be charged for receiving those calls.

Even if you needed to give an email address for buying a sim there's nothing to stop you setting up a new email address for each one, very easy to do.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i have gone with Vodafone, £19.20 per month.

• 12 months , 12GB 4G UK Data, unlimited UK minutes, unlimited UK texts, 4GB inclusive roaming data, unlimited inclusive roaming minutes and texts. as well as unlimited picture
  • messages.
I doubt any UK network can match that, also the data speed when roaming is not throttled and if need be you can buy extra 1GB roaming data for £15. I doubt I will need to as 4GB a month should do me fine.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years

• 12 months , 12GB 4G UK Data, unlimited UK minutes, unlimited UK texts, 4GB inclusive roaming data, unlimited inclusive roaming minutes and texts. as well as unlimited picture
  • messages.
I doubt any UK network can match that, also the data speed when roaming is not throttled and if need be you can buy extra 1GB roaming data for £15. I doubt I will need to as 4GB a month should do me fine.
RESULT........Vodafone does not cut you off. They do not have a policy regarding time abroad. Never used this network, how does it perform in the uk and abroad?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

• messages.
Looks good. ;)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Try Tesco Mobile, they are using the O2 network in UK and if you need extra Giga, it's only £7.50.
They work in 31-36 (can't remember) countrys in EU.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try Tesco Mobile, they are using the O2 network in UK and if you need extra Giga, it's only £7.50.
They work in 31-36 (can't remember) countrys in EU.
Unfortunately though the benefit of being able to roam abroad with no extra cost is not for much longer this year:

"Home From Home runs from 23 May to 3 September 2016"

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
my research continues....my assumptions so far is......
Vodafone..........will not ever cut you off as there is no overseas policy.
Vodafone ...........only give 500mb, 2 gb or 4 bg data with their call plans, but no charge for calls or texts or photo sms. when in Europe.
Ee cant match this cause im with ee. its money all the way. Any way they cut you off after 3 months.
3 no extra charges for phone sim, but for 2 months only............
me thinking..............
Vodafone will not cut your off......good, but lousy data.
3 good for data sim. Available, 12gb valid for 12 months. a few of these cards will do.
So Vodafone is the way to go for persons staying more than 3 months, with several 3 data 12g data sims lasting 12 months each....or perhaps 2 months.
Still all works out cheaper than my last travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back