Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Was gonna go to Glasgow centre and have looked at their park and ride website , they have 5 sites listed 3 say subway ( I take it they have a height restriction and are no good ) the other 2 are on the outskirts . The halbeath one is like closer to Edinburgh . And the other one does not even have disabled spots . So it would hardly have space for a MH.
Am I wrong with the above info ? Plus does anyone know any other good spots to park to go into the centre of Glasgow.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unfortunately Glasgow is one of the minority of places which have gone backwards as regards motorhome parking. When I first started my web site, almost 10 years ago, they had a helpful officer who provided details of places and how to access them. Since then the city council has have contracted out parking to City Parking (Glasgow) LLP "an extended arms length company" who are not very helpful at all.
All they would tell me is "We do have an area within our High St car park which can be used on an individual ad-hoc basis for larger vehicles which would require to be booked and paid in advance at a current cost of ÂŁ25.00 per calendar day - please note this is a surface car park and is not covered by CCTV although regular patrols are undertaken. We have no plans to publish information with regard to motorhome parking as we are unable to accommodate the specific needs and capacity required for this.".

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok thanks . Looks like they will not be getting any of my money then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ok thanks . Looks like they will not be getting any of my money then.
We actually tried to park in Glasgow when we first had a van (whilst staying at Edinburgh) but the signs to the park & rides were terrible and we ended up going round in circles before giving up. We would like to visit Glasgow but we've never identified any camp sites within a reasonable bus ride so never got there yet.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bart you'll get parked at Shields road Subway, they have an open air car park as well as multi story and takes 5/10 mins on subway to city. You cant get on the wrong train as they both go in circles so if you get the wrong one it just takes longer :).

Its also possible to park next to the People Palace in Glasgow Green, what side will you be coming into Glasgow as youd be better parking outside and getting bus/train in to city. If you let me know I'll see if i can recommend a parking area.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We would like to visit Glasgow but we've never identified any camp sites within a reasonable bus ride so never got there yet.

I may have mentioned this but it is dead easy in Bruges. And it's much prettier than Glasgow.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We actually tried to park in Glasgow when we first had a van (whilst staying at Edinburgh) but the signs to the park & rides were terrible and we ended up going round in circles before giving up. We would like to visit Glasgow but we've never identified any camp sites within a reasonable bus ride so never got there yet.
Graham you have a choice of a few campsites on the outskirts with good transport links, dont know if your a member of cc if so Strahclyde park if you have a gentle stroll about 15 mins to Hamilton you have busses running all day to Glasgow, you also get buses running to M&D park next door not sure how often.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are in Glasgow quite a bit and sometimes use Ayr CC site, 10 mins. walk from Ayr station. Glasgow is a great place, lived there when I was studying and grew to love it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And to clear up any misunderstanding "Subway" is the underground system in Glasgow. A carpark that says "subway" doesn't mean the carpark is underground but that it is next to the subway station.

http://www.spt.co.uk/subway/

There is modernisation work taking place so check it is running before you travel (as they say).

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Parked in Glasgow centre one night in the 80's. Hemphills Tanker yard Polmadie with the lorry. Asked the night watchman if it was OK. He said. " I get in that cabin at 22.00hrs and lock it and don't unlock it until dawn....... its up to you.."
Tea Bag :eek:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Was gonna go to Glasgow centre and have looked at their park and ride website , they have 5 sites listed 3 say subway ( I take it they have a height restriction and are no good ) the other 2 are on the outskirts . The halbeath one is like closer to Edinburgh . And the other one does not even have disabled spots . So it would hardly have space for a MH.
Am I wrong with the above info ? Plus does anyone know any other good spots to park to go into the centre of Glasgow.
Lomond Woods Camp Site Balloch . Short walk to train and into Glasgow. Easy peasy and a great place to visit :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham you have a choice of a few campsites on the outskirts with good transport links, dont know if your a member of cc if so Strahclyde park if you have a gentle stroll about 15 mins to Hamilton you have busses running all day to Glasgow, you also get buses running to M&D park next door not sure how often.
We are in Glasgow quite a bit and sometimes use Ayr CC site, 10 mins. walk from Ayr station. Glasgow is a great place, lived there when I was studying and grew to love it.
Lomond Woods Camp Site Balloch . Short walk to train and into Glasgow. Easy peasy and a great place to visit :)
Thanks all. I'll look into those (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Glasgow is a great place but sadly not motorhome friendly at all. There are places I know where you could park up but I wouldn't, and I couldn't therefore recommend them to others. It is possible if visiting Edinburgh to go to Glasgow on the train, it's only around 45 mins. thus visiting two cities with one site. We use either the Edinburgh CC site or Mortonhall on the south of the city. Edinburgh has a fantastic bus service.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We parked our 7 metre van at Kelvinbridge subway carpark last May, lots of places to park with the backend hanging over the grass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back