Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Hi All

For my 40th Birthday last month the other half got me a Hanger Tour of the Vulcan Bomber in Doncaster, this coming weekend.

We are Britstops members and using the power of Google we are trying to find a suitable stop over with a menu and "TripAdvisor" rating that suits what we want, as I am sure other members are aware the difference in food served from one establishment to another could be a million miles appart, I work hard for my money and prefer not to spend it on frozen regurgitated cr@p, so I am putting in the time to investigate before I arrive and become severely disappointed if we turn up at a less than average meal.

Outside of Britstops are there any suggestions for stop overs and or food that we could look into. We are travelling with our 6 & 11yr old children and wish to cater for their needs as much as ours, a simple nuggets or hamburger or fish bites selection taken from a freezer isnt acceptable, just fresh home cooked food plentiful portions is all we want, to make the trip a good one.

Thanks in advance .. John&Kate

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
feet up while it`s all done for you then :rolleyes:

Edit
Seriously, I recognise your dilemma regarding restaurants but I don`t know the area so can`t help but good luck, hope it goes well.
Would love to do that tour

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi.....not tried these personally but friends jetski up there most weekends
The ship innn, Newington - varied menu, always been happy with the meal. Large car park.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
hi just picked this up,

how far from Doncaster do you want to be, does it have to a britstop or will a camp site do?

on the A638 between scrooby and ranskill theres a small campsite in field behind the pillgrim fathers pub.

at haxey on the a161 there is a ccc cl, whch also have a no frills site £15 PN.
theres a pub opersite called the haxey gate which does good food.

if you need more just shout.

edit: just noticed @40 your far to young to own a motorhome, you should have a caravan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
edit: just noticed @40 your far to young to own a motorhome, you should have a caravan

Thanks SCOUT .. The tide is changing and the young folk are moving into the MH scene, there is no way you'd get me towing a caravan, we are the envy of all our "young" friends don't you know .. I cant afford to wait until I get old to own a MH, I might never get there :LOL: There is far more freedom with a MH, and my 9m Arapaho is defiantly a family model. (y)

I will investigate your suggestion further, its located perfectly as we are driving up from the South coast.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ive just spoken to my wife, she thinks the pilgrim faters has been taken over and the camp site is gone, its still listed on ukcampsite finder, the food is execlent apparantly but no good if theres no site, they do have I know have a very large car park so it might be worth a ring.

http://pilgrimfathersscrooby.co.uk/

the site at haxey is very very good on the cs part (which is at the front near the pub) the rest is ok

again if I can help localy just ask

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
theres a pub opersite called the haxey gate which does good food.

Hey SCOUT .. Just looked at the menu of the Haxey Gate and I must say that "there is a pub who can serve up an almost perfect mixed grill" .. .. Everywhere I go they are always missing something !! :cry: A mixed grill should include ALL meats !!

I just noticed that the "Haxey Quays" Campsite is on the other side of the road from the pub, I will be making inquiries in the morning !!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hey SCOUT .. Just looked at the menu of the Haxey Gate and I must say that "there is a pub who can serve up an almost perfect mixed grill" .. .. Everywhere I go they are always missing something !! :cry: A mixed grill should include ALL meats !!

I just noticed that the "Haxey Quays" Campsite is on the other side of the road from the pub, I will be making inquiries in the morning !!

you can hire boats at the pub to go on the river that runs right past the campsite...

glad to be of help

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ive been giving this a bit more thought overnight, if you use britstops do you wild camp?

At doncaster dome complex there is an aircraft museume

http://www.southyorkshireaircraftmuseum.org.uk/

I know they have a very large car park, there has been small MF rallies there in the past, also on the dome complex are a couple of resurants/pub vue cinima, 24 hour asda, the dome sports complex itself.
The large car parks can be noisy at night, I would ring the aircraft museum and ask if you could stay in their car park....two birds one stone

also the lakeside shoping complex on the far side of the lake. Around the lake are plenty of parking spaces you could overnight.

Within 10 mins theres the Whitbys fish n chip resturant

also not far is new animal park

https://yorkshirewildlifepark.com/

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
very difficult to say what food is good and not so good, some people will tell you its great when really you could have done better by cooking it yourself at a 1/4 of the price, many restaurants and hotels around here, one in particular Royalty used to frequent quite often there food was ok, other places well as I don't drink I am not influenced and I am able to quantify the food, price, service rationally, I used to be in the catering industry and know the score, to be any good it has to be hands on by the owners who know about what the customer wants and gets it right for them, used to serve a lot of Lobster ours was cooked live and served fresh, many places will cook frozen lobster and charge the same price, I can tell the difference, same with any frozen product, fresh cooked food is the best, but hey I am spoilt I still catch live crab and lobster/ fresh fish from my boat and live of it/ a lot of the time, so we don't go to restaurants 95% of them are a rip off, sorry to rain on your parade but the truth is the truth, if your lucky to find a good one, well done, as you say you worked hard for you money so get moneys worth and compline like hell if its not good enough, :)

driving

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
doncaster southyorkshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
We live just down the road from the Vulcan, there is Hayfield lakes, you can camp and there is a pub on site that does food, The Vulcan is about a 15-20 minute walk. Five minutes walk from the site there is the Hare and tortoise pub. Haxey Quays camp site, and if you fancy a walk down the canal to west Stockwith the white hart pub I can really recommend for food this is a micro brewery.
If you need any more help don't hesitate

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
forgot to add ...this weekend is race weekend in doncaster, the town area will be full,probibly best avoided

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back