PVC on a ski trip advice please (1 Viewer)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
i have had 3 A Class vans and ski from the van at least twice every year. As the children have all gone I would love a Carthago Malibu PVC but still want to ski.

Has anyone been skiing from there PVC and how did you get on. Was it warm enough? Could you still use water (obviously with waste valve open into a container).

Any advice greatly appreciated before I consider this option any further. A small Panel Van Conversion (PVC) just really appeals for the other things we do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One major question I would have is where will you dry your gear? No big heated garage to stick them in and whilst some have separate shower that could be used instead the Malibu doesn't.

Whilst I also love our PVC I don't think any of them can offer the 'winterisation' that an A-class can - would a different A-class (ie narrower) be better for you instead?

PS: I love some of the blurb on their ads such as "Ceiling lining with microfibre climate-enhancing covering" ... er, that'll be a nice cover then! :D

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have come across skiers in the smallest vans imaginable - and without hook up -
If you stay on sites you can use their ski locker rooms to dry your gear - you won't need to put water in the tanks - you can put plenty of heat in the van on electric -
Should be fine?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We had a PVC but never went skiing in it but our friends took theirs and stayed on a campsite. They added a layer of thermal curtains inside the van to surround their living space. This worked really well for them and mitigated the problem of the large sliding door letting all the heat out.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Surely a Burstner Travel van or Hymer Van type compact low profile is a more sensible option?

OP
OP
Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the update guys, all comments appreciated. I am stuck on getting as small a van as I can and really want a PVC.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ok great, any modern motorhome can achieve that.
The important issue is whether the water system works.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Ok great, any modern motorhome can achieve that.
The important issue is whether the water system works.

Yes, the water system does work. 100 litre in board insulated tank. The only and short, external pipes are to the external water tank that can be heated if required. Our van has a Truma 6 kilowatt diesel heater fed from a 120 litre main fuel tank.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Wildax talk about a European standard for vans in one of their videos.

I really would like as many people as possible to buy these vans because I want one and need to buy second hand due to not being rich.. right now they just don't seem to come up second hand :(

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@Phillybarbour just wondering where you go skiing. It's something we've not done yet in our bus but would love to. Winterisation no problem and have ski chains, etc. we still work so usually fly for skiing as only gone for a week so far and it means we get the most days skiing. Would be really good to know where you've been and for how long.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, the water system does work. 100 litre in board insulated tank. The only and short, external pipes are to the external water tank that can be heated if required. Our van has a Truma 6 kilowatt diesel heater fed from a 120 litre main fuel tank.

That still doesn't answer the question.
Have you tried your van in persistent sub zero Alpine conditions? Any internal pipe is still at danger of freezing if the area around it isn't heated. Just being inside isn't often good enough.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a new 6.4m Rapido V68 pvc. Haven't used it in the snow yet, but it has an insulated and heated waste tank. Also, dedicated ski storage - make of that what you will...

Currently on our first major outing in France with it and loving the flexibility, ease of driving, extra speed, easy parking, go anywhere feel. So much more relaxing to travel about in than our previous coach builds.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you tried your van in persistent sub zero Alpine conditions? Any internal pipe is still at danger of freezing if the area around it isn't heated. Just being inside isn't often good enough.
In our vans (I've got a Familyscout just like Ludo) the water tank is at the rear offside in a vertical position under the bed (see the below picture and you'll see the filler pipes coming out at the top), the area isn't sealed off from the interior as a coachbuilt MH garage would be so although the water tank itself is boxed in, there is heater outlet which you can see just above the gas locker door on the left with a cover over it (to deflect the heat downwards) so the heat from this will permeate into the tank 'box' and keep it above freezing.

new-2014-globecar-familyscout-l-fiat-150-motorhome-n3037_010.jpg

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Personally, No. However, we do have European friends who do use their Possls/Globecars in such conditions with no problems whatsoever. Indeed, far from it. It was they that led us to our interest in Globecars in the first place.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
In our vans (I've got a Familyscout just like Ludo) the water tank is at the rear offside in a vertical position under the bed (see the below picture and you'll see the filler pipes coming out at the top), the area isn't sealed off from the interior as a coachbuilt MH garage would be so although the water tank itself is boxed in, there is heater outlet which you can see just above the gas locker door on the left with a cover over it (to deflect the heat downwards) so the heat from this will permeate into the tank 'box' and keep it above freezing.

View attachment 120925

There are also a further 4 heater outlets in the bathroom, kitchen and lounge areas.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 2012 converted WildAx Constellation, with very efficient electric or gas central heating and a vent in the bathroom which will dry wet clothes hung up in there. The 2 water tanks are underneath but are insulated and have heaters to stop them freezing when it's cold. The van is well insulated and we use it all the year round. It is very cosy in winter, especially with external Taylormade screens. I would be happy to take it somewhere really cold, but I gave up skiing some time ago!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are also a further 4 heater outlets in the bathroom, kitchen and lounge areas.
I know chuck, I was just mentioning the one actually under the bed, as some garages have. :D

@jonandshell
We've not camped long term in sub zero temperatures in ours but certainly had a few days like that earlier this year where although a bright sunny day the temperature was about -2 to -5 and even lower overnight, no problem whatsoever with our water tank and we don't have the heating on overnight either, actually we find we don't need to use it much at all as the van is so cosy.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Wildax talk about a European standard for vans in one of their videos.

I really would like as many people as possible to buy these vans because I want one and need to buy second hand due to not being rich.. right now they just don't seem to come up second hand :(
WildAxes are sometimes for sale -Broken Link Removed but I agree not many around - we hang on to them!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I love this little thing!

Broken Link Removed

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I know chuck, I was just mentioning the one actually under the bed, as some garages have. :D

Thanks Mel. I do obviously realise that you know where the other outlets are but ws not sure that Jon did. Some PVC's have only a couple of outlets in total.

Cheers Mel

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you go to the Globecar forum and look up a poster KalleiViken he is up in Sweden and is out in all weathers.
globecar.forumatic.com
In a Globecar PVC needless to say
We were out with our Campscout last winter but not in very cold weather -3 at the lowest but warmer during the day
If I was going skiing I would pick a low village to camp with access to high slopes
Not sure I would want to be in any van if it gets down to -24 which we had one January in Obertauren Austria

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Having owned a wildax constillation which was a great van we found that as soon as you opened the side door all heat was lost and the down side you had to open the rear doors to empty the loo again a big loss of heat.But other wise a great van

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Having owned a wildax constillation which was a great van we found that as soon as you opened the side door all heat was lost and the down side you had to open the rear doors to empty the loo again a big loss of heat.But other wise a great van
We have a PVC already which of course has the same issue. Being honest we have no intention of moving away from PVCs until the kids have left home. We aren't skiers though so our needs are different

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you go to the Globecar forum and look up a poster KalleiViken he is up in Sweden and is out in all weathers.
globecar.forumatic.com
In a Globecar PVC needless to say
We were out with our Campscout last winter but not in very cold weather -3 at the lowest but warmer during the day
If I was going skiing I would pick a low village to camp with access to high slopes
Not sure I would want to be in any van if it gets down to -24 which we had one January in Obertauren Austria

Our Chausson shrugs off -24 without any problems. We have spent 2 weeks when it never got warmer than -5 even during the day. In those conditions, even some double floored vans develop cold spots within, leading to frozen pipes.
Maybe I am too harsh in my opinion of what winterised means. When we are in the Alps, we expect to wear t shirts inside and relax, not huddle round in winter woollies shivering.!
It might explain my dismissive attitude to manufacturers claims.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Problem is what do they call winterised -5 or -10 i would' nt think -25. Skiing think we'll stay in hotels

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we find its cheaper in hotels for 2 if in low season we paid £420 each this year flights transfers half board all incl I would be suprised if it worked out much less for ferry diesel tolls campsite/aire fees snow chains etc etc and we go with friends anyway. Might be different for a family in peak weeks.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We were in Les Angles in March.. it's a free Aire and right at the bottom of the slope near the ski lifts. There's a few strange vehicles there but it's free and easy to get to.
Crossing was under £100 return .. fuel and tolls cost us .. but ....
We love the van and would always take it as we can take the dogs.
Once we'd finished in the Pyrenees we popped down to the coast for a while.
Much better for us than the grief of a flight dogs in kennels.. no flexibility ..
Van every time for us.
Temp at Les Angles in March was only about -5 in fairness but like @jonandshell we have a Chausson that copes admirably on the cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back