Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya

Im hoping some of you guys could offer some advice we have been looking at the rimmors and Ci's and have noticed that they don't have ovens or they have very small grills.

Im wondering how any one who has a van without an oven cope or get on?

thanks in advance

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the continentals dont fit ovens as they cook outside or dine out. often you can fit an oven and sacrifice a cupboard

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
the continentals dont fit ovens as they cook outside or dine out. often you can fit an oven and sacrifice a cupboard

I thought as much, how easy is it to fit a new one? is it something i can do myself or do i need someone gas certificated?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hiya

Im hoping some of you guys could offer some advice we have been looking at the rimmors and Ci's and have noticed that they don't have ovens or they have very small grills.

Im wondering how any one who has a van without an oven cope or get on?

thanks in advance
We've had 3 continental vans and never had an oven in the first two this one has but we use it as a cupboard!
We BBQ or use a wok or pans or my favourite... Eat out!!
Some people who like to bake roast etc would need an oven or have a Ramoska .

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We don't have a traditional oven but we do have a combi microwave convection/grill. Thought I'd hate it and miss the oven but don't. It took a bit of getting used to but takes up much less space than an oven and I can cook everything I need. I also cook a lot outside on the cadac ... Breakfasts, roasts, bread, cakes, curries, stews, chillies, stir frys, pizzas, etc. No matter what the weather. Probably use the cadac more than the combi as often off ehu

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Oven in M/H really are a bone of contention on here. We wouldn't be without one but some even have them removed.
Search oven threads you'll get the idea.
Our van is German and it came with a oven.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have an oven in our MH but many, possibly the majority, don't and their owners don't seem to starve. :)

There is a thing called a double skillet which if you search on here for will give you more information about it. Adherents seem to be very enthusiastic about them. :)

But it depends where you go, we spent almost three months in Europe this year and lived on salads mostly. We used the oven to cook some Lidl half baked loaves (?) quite a lot and a few pizzas but mostly the hob was enough for everything. You can do a lot with a frying pan - and a BBQ. :)

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have had our van 11 years no oven, never missed one, use a double skillet to cook chicken, jacket potatoes warm pies etc, many vans these days have no oven, so not really a problem.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont need any certificate unless you are hiring it out . gas safe and corgi before them dont issue certificate as not needed .

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use a pressure cooker for thinga like chicken . then cut them up and just brown under the grill or a quick fry they looked roasted .
for years i only ever had two burners and grill.
now it is nice to bake bread or do a full roast etc but can live without if need be .

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got an oven our German van
We use it a lot
We bake part baked bread
We cook pizza, lasagne and baked potatoes
Wouldn't be without it

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had an oven in our Autotrail never used it not got one in the Exsis use a Remoska they are brill.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Great thanks for all the replies, that has really opened up more options for us to look at:)
not sure if that is a good thing or not as we have been searching for quite a while now.

of you guys who have a continental van do you find them good quality as i have found them to be a bit cheaper than their counterparts.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
how any one who has a van without an oven cope

Gas Oven:

Cons:

* Loss of a cupboard.
* Weight.. lost payload
* Rattle when driving.
* Poor performance.. nothing like a domestic oven.

Pros.

I'm thinking...

nope.. can't think why I would want one..

I do everyone on three gas rings, and a BBQ .. in fact most of my cooking is done outdoors on either the Weber Q series gas barbie or a cheap gas stove..

The Weber can be used as an oven to do roasts, bake bread, potato wedges, roast veg, heat pizza and pies. etc .. great bit of kit

nearly forgot.. ovens make good bread bins..

I just about cope.. :D

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have a CI and fitted an oven
Mine had enough room for the smallest smev
Get a gas fitter
Wouldn't be with out it for reasons above
Cupboards will need a trim and we had a heat deflector made

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have had our van 11 years no oven, never missed one, use a double skillet to cook chicken, jacket potatoes warm pies etc, many vans these days have no oven, so not really a problem.
Both our vans have had ovens but we have never used them. We also use a double skillet.
And potato stores :)
We did receive an offer to buy the oven in our current van but didn't want to remove it (avoidance of resale problems) but can use it as a cupboard with the shelf and grill pan removed and stored at home.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we use our oven a lot jump out of bed sling sausages in and go back to bed 30 mins later breakfast is done also we go out and leave a casserole cooking part baked bread roast spuds or jackets
we use van all year so especially usefull in winter

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got a continental van with an oven.

We use it as.....................an oven!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Great thanks for all the replies, that has really opened up more options for us to look at:)
not sure if that is a good thing or not as we have been searching for quite a while now.

of you guys who have a continental van do you find them good quality as i have found them to be a bit cheaper than their counterparts.

Like all vans the quality varies with the price you pay no matter where they are made, we have a Hymer (German) and the quality is excellent. With motorhomes don't worry to much about age, the main thing is to get the right lay out , adiquate storage, decent pay load, and a good solar panel.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours has an oven and it works very well. We tend to use a double skillet most of the time. But we will happily use the oven as well. I'm certainly glad to have it.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

When we purchased our first van (Elddis Autoquest 100) it was after looking at several vans but we were lucky, in a way, to get one which suited us because a number of our criteria turned out to be invalid in time. Before going to look for a replacement we used the experience of five years of ownership to draw up a checklist of essential and desirable features.

The Burstner t625 Harmony we have now met 18 of 19 essential features, which was more than any other van we saw. The only one it didn't meet was that it had blown air heating rather than a fire (which the Autoquest had) and we were a little wary of how much battery power would be consumed when off hook-up. However, we decided that we probably wouldn't find a van which met every requirement so went for it. It then turned out that the blown air system uses very little power and the solar panel replaces what is used the next day.

We didn't have any manufacturer (or country of origin) in mind either time. We have found the Burstner to be of better build quality but that reflects the original pricing of the two vans.

You can download our checklist Here. I expect it is highly unlikely to match all your requirements but may be a useful example.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Use our oven all the time. Anna and Clyde on here introduced us to Maggi Oh so juicy (other brands are available :D) on our first trip abroad, now I just buy the roasting bags and put our own concoctions in them, an hour later there's a meal for two and no washing up (y) We also do bacon in ours, (scrunch the bacon up a bit in a roasting pan, saves you turning it over and you still get crispy bits) pop it in the oven then take the dogs out for their early morning constitution, manna from the Gods/hangover cure ready when you get back. Anyway, if you don't have an oven, how do you dry your socks ? :LOL:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Gas Oven:

Cons:

* Loss of a cupboard.
* Weight.. lost payload
* Rattle when driving.
* Poor performance.. nothing like a domestic oven.

Pros.

I'm thinking...

nope.. can't think why I would want one..

I do everyone on three gas rings, and a BBQ .. in fact most of my cooking is done outdoors on either the Weber Q series gas barbie or a cheap gas stove..

The Weber can be used as an oven to do roasts, bake bread, potato wedges, roast veg, heat pizza and pies. etc .. great bit of kit

I just about cope.. :D
just fit a proper domestic ccoker with oven . works a treat . in fact at home i use lpg and the cooker in my trailer is actually better than the one i have at home .
i do use mine quite a bit . nice honey roast gammon joints etc . the moroccans love a roast gammon sandwich .
but joints cooked with the veg around them in an old fashioned enamel pimple topped roast dish mmmm. i can taste it already.
plus if miles from anywhere nice fresh bread . or bacon and egg pies .
even cornish pasty,s .
but come on nice yorkshire puds etc , we are english . much nicer than some of the foreign food . ha ha

Upvote 0

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
The motorhome we're buying is a Chausson with no oven, just the grill. My partner, who'll be doing the cooking seems not to be bothered and is currently researching microwave, halogen or the skillet option.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just fit a proper domestic ccoker with oven . works a treat

I'm sure it does Alan .. and would love to ..

I have an LPG cooker in my kitchen at home.. an Italian Bertazzoni, love it.. with a fan assisted electric oven that makes great bread ... but way too big and heavy for a Eurovan..

Not everyone has a mini-artic trailer conversion.

The very worst oven I ever had was an American model (can't recall the make) fitted in the RV.. what a waste of space..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back