Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
hi we picked our new motor home up two weeks ago and had the pleasure of having a blowout on the m1 on a section that had no hard shoulder not a nice experience .Has anybody had the tyro bands fitted on a motor home I have heard they are fitted on caravans but if we had them fitted we would have managed to get to a relief area on the managed section of the motorway.
any response would be appreciated and costs aswell please.
Nigel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Had them on an Eriba caravan,,had a blow out near Bordeaux and it just felt as if i was driving on the rumble strip. Drove into services to change wheel,,,,,Keep thinking about having them fitted on Van,,,,BUSBY.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There's no reason why you can't have Tyron bands on your motorhome. Just as long as you manage to find the correct size for your wheels. However, you'd really need to go to a caravan dealer/workshop to have them fitted & it'd be the same anytime a tyre needs renewing. Ordinary tyre centre's hate these bands as they really require a special machine to fit them. As a possible alternative try to Google the permanent tyre foam (not the puncture repair foam) that stops the tyre deflating in the first place. I can't remember the proper name of the stuff, but you might find that its worth a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Link Removedor Ride on market a tyre infill that supposedly prevents sudden deflation

Aside from the names, no experience. A friend who operates a plant hire business swears by Ultraseal, but he isn't worried about adding weight or arguing with Quickfit (aka "Slowrefund")

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tyron bands are life savers. they fill the well within the wheel preventing the deflated tyre rolling off the rim. cost is only £69 per rim and you can get them fitted at home. etyres do home fitting as does kwik fit mobile

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had them fitted by Kwik Fit Mobile on our previous van (it was at the time they were first being widely advertised) but they went with it when it was written off. May still be on it as it is back on the road for all I know. We've never got round to having them fitted on its replacement.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We have Puncturesafe injected into our mH tyres, our local MH hire company suggested it to us, it is of course a liquid which will stop punctures happening when nails etc enter the tyres, apparently they have not had a puncture for three years in their hire fleet, that is not to say that there maybe nails still in the tyres if you do not check them from time to time, we paid £60 for four tyres to be treated. If tyres are ripped and big Tares happen then of course it will not work.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Liquid tyre sealers are great for punctures but no good whatsoever for a blowout/sudden deflation.
You will still be shredding the tyre and rolling on the wheel rim.

Tyron bands obviously won't stop punctures but will stop the tyre leaving the wheel allowing you to maintain control and stop safely.
Tyre damage MAY still accure.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
ive always found at motorway speeds theres not much tyre left to roll of the rim

That's because the tyre gets into the well in the wheel in the first place.
From my experience tyre's very rarely "blow out" but as modern vehicles mask the effects of a tyre beginning to deflate due to an ordinary puncture to such a degree that it can be difficult to detect until its too late. The tyre overheats & goes off with a bang.
It'd help if people regularly checked their tyre pressures, but in a lot of cases the folk get lulled into a false sense of security, the tyre pressure is ok at each check & they begin to assume that the tyre pressure's are ok. As a result checks get dropped from routine. I still do a VDI (vehicle daily inspection) much to my neighbours amusement, but it was his caravan that "lost" a wheel due to pure neglect.

OP
OP
nigel smith

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
hi we hit a ratchet strap I managed to swerve and miss it with front wheel but caught it with the back that was what blow the tyre when we stopped there was a big hole in the tyre it had only done 120 mile so it was brand new .If it had been the front it would have been a lot worse.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
hi we hit a ratchet strap I managed to swerve and miss it with front wheel but caught it with the back that was what blow the tyre when we stopped there was a big hole in the tyre it had only done 120 mile so it was brand new .If it had been the front it would have been a lot worse.

Isn't that always the way of it. The wrecked tyre is invariably a new one. Thankfully your still here to tell the tale mate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back