Coast Road car parks, the Stray, Redcar/Marske (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
These are the two car parks on the Coast Road at the top and bottom of the screen, Here, which are often quoted as being "wild camping" spots.
Jill had an appointment in Marske this afternoon so I decided to use the car parks as a base for a walk to take some photos. Both car parks now have several signs as pictured.
I've not been able to find a parking order mentioning them when I've looked on-line in the past but the signs look new (don't recall seeing them previously) so maybe there is a new order in place. I have no idea how vigorously the restriction is enforced but it's as well for people to be aware.

IMG_0410.jpg

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We were with the MCC at Redcar Rugby pitch several weeks ago and there was vans parked at both spots overnight - excellent spot for parking - shame that the council are so shortsighted - Redcar needs every penny it can get from visitors - they are missing a trick in not providing a pay area for vans to overnight -

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were with the MCC at Redcar Rugby pitch several weeks ago and there was vans parked at both spots overnight - excellent spot for parking - shame that the council are so shortsighted - Redcar needs every penny it can get from visitors - they are missing a trick in not providing a pay area for vans to overnight -
They were bitten by the failure of Guisborough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
we were at the Rugby club a few weeks ago ( great spot ) and yes there were quite a few parked up on the coast road overnight, BUT, there was gypsy type traveller camp there further towards Marske complete with horses, they went shortly after we arrived and before we left another bunch turned up on the grass nearer to us, they were scruffy travellers, perhaps the council has had enough, it is expensive to get rid of them and it might be cheaper / easier if all overnighting is banned.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
we were at the Rugby club a few weeks ago ( great spot ) and yes there were quite a few parked up on the coast road overnight, BUT, there was gypsy type traveller camp there further towards Marske complete with horses, they went shortly after we arrived and before we left another bunch turned up on the grass nearer to us, they were scruffy travellers, perhaps the council has had enough, it is expensive to get rid of them and it might be cheaper / easier if all overnighting is banned.
Two different problems. The council's hands are tied as regards travellers and parking orders have no effect on the situation whilst the law is as it is.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Usual 'abuse' problem I suspect. I live fairly near there and over the last few years there have been just too many vans overnight and for days. Have seen so many vans there that they have to park closer than on an Aire. The local residents, especially dog walkers, can't park in the car parks and much of the road is no parking. There is quite often a queue of vans waiting to dump their cassettes in the public loo which winds folk up. (Not all are as clean / tidy as others and it can stink in there)
Discretion and subtlety should be the guideline when free camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
they have to park closer than on an Aire.
When I was there yesterday afternoon there were 4 vans parked in the rougher area next to the tarmac surfaced car park of the northern car park (it isn't clear whether the restriction covers that area) and they were very close together. A van parked in the main area and then a self conversion moved from another space right next to him (looked like they knew each other). I don't know whether they intended staying the night but the 4 together gave the impression they did (why else would they park off the relatively empty main area?).

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've done some further research and now have the definitive information.
The two car parks at Coast Road Redcar and Coast Road Marske (together with the prohibition on waiting between the hours of 10pm and 8am) were added to the parking order by an amendment which came into operation on 1st January 2016.
It is only the tarmac areas which are covered by the order so the occupants of the 4 vans which I saw on Friday, which were on the rough area alongside the Redcar car park, would have been able to camp there legally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back