email address has been deleted (1 Viewer)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
on the 11/august/2016,my bt router stopped working for a few minutes,when it cam back on i could not access my email.
8 days later i still cannot log in to bt mail,---and last night i had a phone call from bt ,to say that the problem is that they /or yahoo?, have deleted my email address.
they say it can be fixed,but that they will be unable to phone me until 24/08/2016.
just wondered if it has happened to anyone else?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
These days with so many scams are you sure it was bt that rang?

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It sounds massively fishy. I fear you have been hacked. I suggest ringing BT and explain the problem, the folk who rang you may not have been BT, whatever they claimed.

My BT account was hacked a few years ago. I've now changed to Gmail and had no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
on the 11/august/2016,my bt router stopped working for a few minutes,when it cam back on i could not access my email.
8 days later i still cannot log in to bt mail,---and last night i had a phone call from bt ,to say that the problem is that they /or yahoo?, have deleted my email address.
they say it can be fixed,but that they will be unable to phone me until 24/08/2016.
just wondered if it has happened to anyone else?
Did you ring them to tell them first, or did they ring out of the blue, if so definitely dodgy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Forgot to add, finding the number to ring will be a struggle, but persevere. Don't try to contact BT by email as you won't know if your message is being redirected.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have just changed to Windows 10, as we are Windows Professional, we have been told we will lose the Email facility

Working on that bit now!

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Did you ring them to tell them first, or did they ring out of the blue, if so definitely dodgy
i have telephoned bt repeatedly but i am still unable to access my email.
getting a bit desperate now as i have just realized how much "business" i do by email.
What to do ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
getting a bit desperate now as i have just realized how much "business" i do by email.
What to do ?
What do you mean by ringing BT repeatedly? What do they say? I hope you are not ringing any number given by the people who called you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have just changed to Windows 10, as we are Windows Professional, we have been told we will lose the Email facility

Working on that bit now!
That's bulwarks. I've got Windows 10 Pro which has my btintertent email on it. It is different as it will push you towards a different email application, but it works.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
What to do ?

Try calling this fella head honcho at Bt never worry about ruffling feathers
One of his minions will get back to you sharpish

@glastry

Group

Link Removed
Mr Gavin Patterson Chief Executive

Email gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

Telephone 020 7356 4931 (Direct)
Switchboard 020 7356 5000
Fax 0207 356 6650
Website http://www.bt.com
Social Media

Postal Address 81 Newgate Street, London, EC1A 7AJ
Company Number .
Company Status Active (Established 30/03/2001)

See also .

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

Working on that bit now!

Windows 10 has a built in e-mail client that you can configure.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
A lot depends on what your mail address is - with BT it could be a raft of addresses from yahoo.com through to btinternet.com depending on whether you have a BT business account, an old legacy account or a home account, and they're all managed differently.
I agree it sounds a bit dodgy - BT don't generally phone customers to advise they have a problem...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had no problem with email or anything, but I had an Asian bloke ring me a couple of days ago said he was from bt and said I had a problem and go to my computer, well he was obviously from a call centre as I could hear other people talking so just put the phone down , wish I'd have gone a bit fir ther now, as I could of maybe help you.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I have had no problem with email or anything, but I had an Asian bloke ring me a couple of days ago said he was from bt and said I had a problem and go to my computer, well he was obviously from a call centre as I could hear other people talking so just put the phone down , wish I'd have gone a bit fir ther now, as I could of maybe help you.
You escaped pretty light there - that is definitely a scam and could have cost you dear - please ignore any calls like this no matter who they say they are...
:whew:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And another thing - get someone to send a mail to you. If your mailbox has been deleted, then they will get a bounce message. If they don't it looks like the mailbox is still there, so try the stuff in http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/7339/a_id/45107/?s_intcid=emailhub_box:C_loginprobs
When my BT email was hacked they set up a divert to send all incoming emails off somewhere else - to an email address which was the same as mine but with just one letter changed. They also sent out an email purporting to be from me saying I was stuck somewhere and needed money. Anyone responding would get a reply from an almost identical email address to mine. It was a clever trick. BT were very good identifying and sorting the problem, which makes a change! :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
DEFINITELY a scam. Did you give him enough information to access your computer? If so they have probably installed a virus on it which blocks or diverts everything and then they demand a lot of money to put it right.

Contact the real BT yourself ASAP via another line and explain everything to them. Use another line or your mobile because they may have put a divert on the phone line itself.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
DEFINITELY a scam. Did you give him enough information to access your computer? If so they have probably installed a virus on it which blocks or diverts everything and then they demand a lot of money to put it right.

Contact the real BT yourself ASAP via another line and explain everything to them. Use another line or your mobile because they may have put a divert on the phone line itself.
As I said , I never went near a computer as I don't even have one, only got an iPad and I put the phone down on him.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Thanks to all the above for your suggestions!
Still no email access,but have established that it is a bt problem,and have been told that it will be sorted by 24-august-2016 .

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
What do you mean by ringing BT repeatedly? What do they say? I hope you are not ringing any number given by the people who called you.
It sounds massively fishy. I fear you have been hacked. I suggest ringing BT and explain the problem, the folk who rang you may not have been BT, whatever they claimed.

When I try to log in to use by mail,the screen message reads that "your account may have been compromised"
I have made sure as I could that I am calling bt.
They have again telephoned today to say that the problem
Will not be fixed until 25/august/2016!

My BT account was hacked a few years ago. I've now changed to Gmail and had no problems.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
It would now appear that the "outage" at bt is serious and more people are affected each day ,with no solution immediately available .no email access for me since 11-august !
I have again been promised a phone call from level 2,with a possible solution !!!! (Tomorrow between 8am and 10 am)
This has been almost immediately contradicted by a call from
Customer services,who acknowledged that the above call had indeed been booked,but thought that it may take to 28-august to be "repaired"
Looks like a bad situation,made worse by incompetent staff.
I should add that I have used a friend's computer to contact the chief executive as advised on here.i will post any reply received.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
no i was not hacked-just bushwacked by bt.
this morning i only had a phone call from "high level escalations team"
we are so sorry about your email problem- all fixed now -except 14 days of email is missing!!
would £50 quid be ok to make up for this?
thats the current offer- what do you think?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
would £50 quid be ok to make up for this?
thats the current offer- what do you think?

I got over £140 back from BT for not being able to receive calls for nearly a fortnight... could make calls and got tinternet OK..

Started of at £25..... NO.. not enough..... £50 Sir...... No... and so on.... settled on £145... :dance2:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I gave up with Bt e mail and any other telecoms e mail address
And only use it for entering sites that require an e mail address
To send junk to me

I use stand alone addresses so I can change provider at end of contract time
Without loosing my needed e mails

Using bt's will keep you as their slave and not their master

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My BT email went tits up a few days ago with a link being posted to many or all in my email contacts.
I contacted BT and changed passwords , BT said no further problem, how do they know and I wonder if my contacts list is of use to them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back