Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Hi & many thanks for letting me ramble on.
I am a very very newby & just considering my first motor home. I am 50 & mom is 80 & we like to holiday together. As mom gets older & more disabled ,(blue badge holder) a van conversion sounds a much better idea for both of us. She gets a traveling pad to change the view & an accessible loo & I get to know she's happy & safe while I go & burn off some energy on a run. We visit Dartmouth & Looe (Hannafore) a lot & we are allowed by Dartmouth council to leave the car on the front (with BB showing) for days at a time- no restrictions. If I was to spend such a lot of money on a motorhome, (6Meters) would there be a problem parking where we normally park the car? Does it make a difference if it's a van or a car? - I didn't think so when I started my search, but now getting worried that once we have found our perfect van that I won't be able to have the freedom to park where we do now. I have never needed to park on yellow lines & don't intend to abuse the blue badge, but don't want to make a big mistake . Is there any black & white rules?...
Also is there any ladies that travel alone? It can't be too difficult to empty a cassette loo or change a gas bottle can it???...or are there lots of things that go wrong..that I will constantly need help to fix?
We were thinking of hiring a van conversion for a week.. but van conversions are £900 a week!... Hells teeth...that's a lot..

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Xxx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Motorhomes are getting more and more obstacles in their way. Heigh barriers the killer. No-one wants us blocking their views. Fine abroad.

Loads of solo females in here coping with the day to day running.

So much to be said for a low height van conversion.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last things first, gas bottle and cassette emptying , no problem, the gas man will probably fit it for you and the cassette is not heavy , just smelly which you will get used to .
Parking can be more trouble, blue badge won't make any difference I'm afraid ,barriers and rules about parking motohomes can be very restrictive, if you do go for it you can park on sites and get the bus into towns , useualy cheaper and easier than finding a car park .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome!:WelcomeFlag:Sounds a great idea there are lots of singles who meet up and seem to have a really fun time! Hope you find your van ,try out lots with your mum and visit dealers or shows to see what suits you. We did hire the year before we bought to see if it really was for us and found we loved it! Expensive but worth it !

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
as Brian says, daft as it looks you would fare better taking the tunnel to France, no need to go far when you are over there, and you have the freedom to park near enough anywhere you like small town squares , coast , official Aires all your filling and emptying in one go.
And best of all mainly free, soon get your tunnel fare back.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just to add to previous good advice..

a van conversion that will fit within the lines of a car parking space AND go under the height barrier will, to all intents and purposes, be treated the same as a car in a car park .. including Blue Badge holders.

I don't know if there is a 'standard' UK height barrier height ( don't think there is ) but round our way 2.3 mt is the norm at Park and Ride and council car parks..

NCP carparks have lower barriers, some 4 x 4 s cannot use them..

we would all love the convenience of a PVC with the space and comfort of a large motorhome.. all of us make a compromise that we can live with..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are thinking of a typical 6m van conversion like this one:

P7261704.JPG

Then it will not fit on a standard car parking space as it is too long. It will also not fit under typical height barriers. It is possible to get 5.5m versions but they are rare.

You can of course get smaller vans, the Volkswagon based ones are much smaller and will fit on a car parking space and go under barriers. However, you won't find these with a proper loo.

But parking a MH in a popular seaside spot for several days is likely to be a problem compared to a car, blue badge or not, though you could always try writing to the local council and see what they think. I suggest a rethink and consider going to CLs and the like, which are basic fields with a tap and a drain and not too expensive. You can wild camp in places but you need to find these secret places first! :)

Afterthought: Where are you based?

Another afterthought! You can park along the front in Dartmouth, I've seen MHs there but there isn't a lot of room at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi & many thanks for letting me ramble on.
I am a very very newby & just considering my first motor home. I am 50 & mom is 80 & we like to holiday together. As mom gets older & more disabled ,(blue badge holder) a van conversion sounds a much better idea for both of us. She gets a traveling pad to change the view & an accessible loo & I get to know she's happy & safe while I go & burn off some energy on a run. We visit Dartmouth & Looe (Hannafore) a lot & we are allowed by Dartmouth council to leave the car on the front (with BB showing) for days at a time- no restrictions. If I was to spend such a lot of money on a motorhome, (6Meters) would there be a problem parking where we normally park the car? Does it make a difference if it's a van or a car? - I didn't think so when I started my search, but now getting worried that once we have found our perfect van that I won't be able to have the freedom to park where we do now. I have never needed to park on yellow lines & don't intend to abuse the blue badge, but don't want to make a big mistake . Is there any black & white rules?...
Also is there any ladies that travel alone? It can't be too difficult to empty a cassette loo or change a gas bottle can it???...or are there lots of things that go wrong..that I will constantly need help to fix?
We were thinking of hiring a van conversion for a week.. but van conversions are £900 a week!... Hells teeth...that's a lot..

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Xxx
Please come back, don't be another one post wonder, you seemed so genuine and would like to know what you come up with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Awww, thank you for all your replies...I really appreciate the help. I'm trying to find how to 'like' your replies... But can't find a like button.???

I have been looking with mom & we went to the show at Malvern last week... We saw the WildAx Solaris & loved it.The layout was perfect for us. It is on a Citroen relay. Unfortunately at 50k is way out of our league & second hand ones are very hard to find. We are also looking at van conversions based on the VW crafter.. just thinking that a van will be easier to drive than a coach-built & be less noticeable.They are also easier for mom to get in & out.

We love Dartmouth & have seen motorhomes parked on the embankment many times , normally not a problem with parking as we miss the school holidays, we only normally go away for 3/4 nights as Mom is quite disabled & I find it very difficult to live at her pace of life.. (can't sit down for 5 mins lol!) just want to make sure we aren't breaking any rules really.

I run a lot & last time we were in Dartmouth I met some lovely ladies & joined them for a run at 6am every morning - was the best holiday in years . I would love to join them more regularly, but need mom to be happy & entertained too. I don't fancy the idea of a out of town caravan park ,I love to be in the middle of things with lots to look at & see.

We live near Kidderminster. It's very quiet & peaceful. So a holiday to us is watching all the activities & comings & goings in the harbour.

Once again thanks for all the responses & if I can work out how to reply & say thanks personally I will ..xxx

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
At the bottom of your post are 5 little symbols the thumbs up is the like! Join up and you will have lots of help and fun here!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
At the bottom of your post are 5 little symbols the thumbs up is the like! Join up and you will have lots of help and fun here!
Sorry...prob just me being thick...but I haven't got 5 little symbols at the bottom of posts??..nothing there??
Can do theses though . Thanks xxx

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Hi, and welcome. Good luck with your search for a van. There are plenty of solo females on this forum so there is help out there if you need it. Also there is a member who does a very professional conversion to vans to meet your needs and this might be an option for you. That way you get exactly what you need.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Sorry...prob just me being thick...but I haven't got 5 little symbols at the bottom of posts??..nothing there??
Can do theses though . Thanks xxx

Yey, joined & get my 5 little symbols now.. click happy..xx
Hi, and welcome. Good luck with your search for a van. There are plenty of solo females on this forum so there is help out there if you need it. Also there is a member who does a very professional conversion to vans to meet your needs and this might be an option for you. That way you get exactly what you need.
Ooh brilliant, ta. x

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
There are lots of females to travel alone in Motorhomes. I unintentionally full timed for 9 months, loved it so much I packed up my house and did another year full time. Others have days / weeks away. There are always rallies organised on Fun and both you and your mum would find plenty of people to talk to, different activities and there's usually entertainment, too.
The day to day stuff in a motorhome is easy--- I didn't have any problems emptying the cassette, filling up/ emptying water, changing a fuse etc.. There's always lots of knowledge and advice on here.
You'll know the right van when you see it. Good luck in the search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
There are lots of females to travel alone in Motorhomes. I unintentionally full timed for 9 months, loved it so much I packed up my house and did another year full time. Others have days / weeks away. There are always rallies organised on Fun and both you and your mum would find plenty of people to talk to, different activities and there's usually entertainment, too.
The day to day stuff in a motorhome is easy--- I didn't have any problems emptying the cassette, filling up/ emptying water, changing a fuse etc.. There's always lots of knowledge and advice on here.
You'll know the right van when you see it. Good luck in the search.
Great advice , thank you x :)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Cilla and Mom, welcome to the fun. Although that Crafter looks very nicely done it looks to me as though it is a home built conversion. For a first time buy you would be better off sticking to mainstream manufacturers as they are easier to sell on should you later decide that the layout doesn't suit.
Enjoy the search as it is all part of the fun.
Norman.

Upvote 0

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi & Welcome to Fun we live between Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth so not to far from you . Our disabled daughter travels with us . A 6mtr van would be ok in most disabled bays . Our van is nearly 7 meters but we always tend to look at the carparks were our back end can overhang over a grass verge at the rear of the parking space . keeping the wheels within the lines etc.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We do the same as @Ambilkate - we have a 6 metre Hymer B564. If you can find a parking bay where your back end overhangs a bit of spare ground you're fine. Ask as many questions on here as you can before buying - you'll get all the answers and information you need - it can be an expensive mistake of you get it wrong!

Oh and - welcome to the Fun! (y)

Upvote 0

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We used to have a van were we had such a small bathroom where the shower was incorporated with the toilet . If your mom needs personal hands on care please look for a shower cubicle that ajoins the toilet area so you can stand in the toilet section and your mom in the shower its so much easier. A lot of conversions only have the smaller bathroom.
Kate x
if you have any questions you can always private message me x Kate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Hi & Welcome to Fun we live between Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth so not to far from you . Our disabled daughter travels with us . A 6mtr van would be ok in most disabled bays . Our van is nearly 7 meters but we always tend to look at the carparks were our back end can overhang over a grass verge at the rear of the parking space . keeping the wheels within the lines etc.

Cilla and Mom, welcome to the fun. Although that Crafter looks very nicely done it looks to me as though it is a home built conversion. For a first time buy you would be better off sticking to mainstream manufacturers as they are easier to sell on should you later decide that the layout doesn't suit.
Enjoy the search as it is all part of the fun.
Norman.
Thanks Norman, great info. x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!

Thanks Kate, thats great info, I am looking for a 6m van conversion as I think they are less noticeable & obtrusive compared to a coach-built. Just trying to get the right layout now. Do you drive it? Never driven anything bigger than a car & wondering how I reverse a 6m van , when I can't see out the back , just practice I guess. Many thanks for your help. x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
We used to have a van were we had such a small bathroom where the shower was incorporated with the toilet . If your mom needs personal hands on care please look for a shower cubicle that ajoins the toilet area so you can stand in the toilet section and your mom in the shower its so much easier. A lot of conversions only have the smaller bathroom.
Kate x
if you have any questions you can always private message me x Kate
Hi Kate, Mom doesn't need hands on care at the moment , it's just her legs that don't work. She loves he idea of a camper because the space is so small, there is always somewhere to hang on to. The bathroom may well be a problem in the future & I'll definitely keep it in mind when I look at layouts. Great info, x

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back