TV licence changes for 'on demand' viewing etc (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The warning comes up on my iPad every time I look at Iplayer. I have a licence so it's all good.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well I only used iPlayer for Robot Wars and Top gear. Top gear has gone now. Robot Wars I can live without.

That said, as a fulltimer I don't have a door they can knock on :p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That said, as a fulltimer I don't have a door they can knock on :p

Even if you do have a frontdoor, you can just drop them a line, giving your address (no need to give your name) and tell them that you have removed their implied right of access to your property. Once acknowledged, they will never darken your door again.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
AFAIK if you do NOT get stuff from the BBC it appears you don't need one ... I think!

Yes I thought that it was an odd decision to omit, ITV netflix etc under the new ruling. The licence always did cover other broadcasters, ie you could not say you didn't watch the BBC so didn't need licence.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Even if you do have a frontdoor, you can just drop them a line, giving your address (no need to give your name) and tell them that you have removed their implied right of access to your property. Once acknowledged, they will never darken your door again.

so presumably they and any others in their position would never acknowledge your letter?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
so presumably they and any others in their position would never acknowledge your letter?

I don't think its part of the process that they have to acknowledge receipt, a recorded delivery letter would be fine. However the BBC do acknowledge it. They tell you no one will call for two years and after that they will enquire that the implied right is still withdrawn.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes I thought that it was an odd decision to omit, ITV netflix etc under the new ruling. The licence always did cover other broadcasters, ie you could not say you didn't watch the BBC so didn't need licence.
That's because the licence is to operate receiving equipment rather than watch a particular channel isn't it? Partly historical as it came in when there was only the BBC broadcasting?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's because the licence is to operate receiving equipment rather than watch a particular channel isn't it? Partly historical as it came in when there was only the BBC broadcasting?

Confusing isn't it. It always used to be about the telly has it changed? they used to take your name when you bought any receiving equipment, do they still do that? If you have a TV to watch catchup ITV and Netflix, even if it is capable of receiving BBC broadcasts you wont need a licence, so is it more about the BBC than the receiving equipment

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Confusing isn't it. It always used to be about the telly has it changed? they used to take your name when you bought any receiving equipment, do they still do that? If you have a TV to watch catchup ITV and Netflix, even if it is capable of receiving BBC broadcasts you wont need a licence, so is it more about the BBC than the receiving equipment
I don't think they do take your name these days. We bought a TV and PVR last year and I don't think it was taken specifically for that (though I did give it for the warranty). I suppose so few addresses don't have TVs these days that it isn't worth maintaining a database of purchasers.
It is certainly more about the BBC though, more specifically BBC funding. They either had to come up with a modified licence or a different funding method, which would probably have been far more costly to set up and administer.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Bought a human free sat box, asked for address by Currys last month. Told not for warranty but for TV licensing.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bought a human free sat box, asked for address by Currys last month. Told not for warranty but for TV licensing.
Does it change the channel when you ask nicely ... :D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In reality - who of those who don't have a TV licence already is now going to go out & buy one just so the can watch BBC iPlayer?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In reality - who of those who don't have a TV licence already is now going to go out & buy one just so the can watch BBC iPlayer?

Because the catch up TV is only for iPlayer I doubt they will see the significant jump in revenues they hope for.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Mildred Whetherspon in Doncaster, she's an absolute stickler for obeying the law. In fact she can get iPlayer only on her little mobile phone but she's so scared she might accidentally hit it she has to buy a licence.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Because the catch up TV is only for iPlayer I doubt they will see the significant jump in revenues they hope for.

There is an interesting side to this, unlike a TV set, "they" can trace where that access to iPlayer is coming from. Now there is a big can of worms.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not so sure. I don't use iPlayer all that much (don't watch TV all that much these days) but I know several people who do. I should have thought that it's likely to be younger people who leave the parental home and use a tablet rather than buy a TV who will now be liable to pay.
You never know, though, if it doesn't bring in so much then perhaps some cost cutting (starting with salaries/fees) will be in order :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is an interesting side to this, unlike a TV set, "they" can trace where that access to iPlayer is coming from. Now there is a big can of worms.
"They" could trace TVs as well Brian. We have a friend who used to work for TV licensing and he told the tale of going into one of our local police stations one day, mentioning that he was working in the area and would be back in a few hours. In that time the police made sure they sent a PC down to the post office :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it is "could", the old radiated signals the detector vans used to detect are no longer there in modern TVs which are no more than computers.
Yes, the tale is a few years old. Maybe that's another reason behind the change :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

They just need to set up a system like Sky has. But that would take too much money, not leaving enough for those long lunches, first class travel, golden hellos and goodbyes, they'd need to send 400 less people to the olympics. And what about when we have an inch of snow, we'd get no reporter at the scene. Nor could they afford to give us the weather from the Chelsea flower show or to send a man and crew to stand in the dark outside the Houses of Parliament to be interviewed by a bloke in the studio about what went on there today. :doh:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sure Mildred Whetherspon in Doncaster already has a licence so she doesn't get the knock at the door whilst she's watching Ena Sharples in the Woolpack.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Flipping heck I didn't realise Hilda and GJH were so old!!! :LOL:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I'm sure Mildred Whetherspon in Doncaster already has a licence so she doesn't get the knock at the door whilst she's watching Ena Sharples in the Woolpack.
And I'm sure some little old ladies have a TV licence when they don't actually need one, based on the threatening letters we get from Capita (the people who do the BBC's dirty work for them) on a regular basis. I thought that demanding money with menaces was a crime in this country?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If the little lady really is old she'll get a free one anyway! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back