Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi we are going to Ypres in a couple of weeks time and was going to stop on marine drive overnight before a mid morning ferry, we will be taking a tow car with us and was wondering whether anyone has parked up there with a tow car .if so is it Ok? If not has anyone stopped in the big lay by on the hill leading down to dover ?
Thanks chris

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes i stayed there on the recommendation of the old bill in Dover as it was quiet and safe. Marine drive is alright but think parking regulations come into force from 8.00 am

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Lots of MHs park on the seafront at Dover. The charges according to Dover DC website are from 9am - 5pm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is a bit crowded along the Marine Esplanade as the works going on have taken a bit off it, and there are a lot of people parking up there for fear of getting booked outside the Flats.
However and I am not sure when it starts, the car park at Camden Crescent just off the seafront is going to be available for Motorhomes only at night , for a fee of course. This area is Just to side of the Gateway flats (out of site of the nimbys) You go into Wellesley Road and the entrance is in Camden Crescent. Might be worth a look I will have a look later to sheck it out. Will report back later.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just been down to check, and the barrier is still there at 2.2 metres. I do hope that they actually do go and set it up soon. I have been carping on about facilities in Dover to anyone that will listen , including my neighbour who is a District Concillor.
If and when I have more information I will post it. The works at the Western End of the esplanade is not as big as I was led to expect and there are a load of vans parked there tonight.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We're hoping to stop there overnight in a couple of weeks.
Can you tell me which road I use to get on Marine Drive please ?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We're hoping to stop there overnight in a couple of weeks.
Can you tell me which road I use to get on Marine Drive please ?
The best route at the moment (due to huge roadworks happening right through Dover) is to travel to Dover via the A/M2. At the roundabout at the port entrance take the first exit, pass the first left onto the seafront then turn left onto Wellesley Road then left onto Marine Parade.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We should arrive at Dover about 10pm on a Saturday night. Do you think we should find a spot ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
However and I am not sure when it starts, the car park at Camden Crescent just off the seafront is going to be available for Motorhomes only at night , for a fee of course.
It will be a while yet. The meeting to discuss the report and the results of the public consultation isn't until 5th September. Assuming that the go ahead is given then, presumably, the formal planning process will have to be undertaken before work can actually start.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I cannot find the thread, but I recollect that recently there where moves to BAN overnight parking on marine parade?..

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
. It's a review of all parking in Dover, including stopping nuisance caused and providing alternatives for motorhomes, rather than a ban.
Thanks for that, I had no idea there was a "consultation". But then most consultation IMV gets only to those who favour the "Official" line anyway. For the rest it is unusual for such things to be given very much "air time". I assume by now it is too late to "consult"?.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that, I had no idea there was a "consultation". But then most consultation IMV gets only to those who favour the "Official" line anyway. For the rest it is unusual for such things to be given very much "air time". I assume by now it is too late to "consult"?.

Pete
I'm surprised any council bothers to give more than lip service to consultation when they are faced with such prejudiced, negative, comments as that.
There was plenty of publicity about the consultation on here and several of us put comments in.
The same happened with the restrictions in North Yorkshire (Scarborough area) and resulted in changes to the proposed scheme.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would have thought so, it's quite a long seafront.
Western end only by the clock tower or you mght be booked, they work at night sometimes to catch lorries at the industrial areas, if there aren't any they go elsewhere in a white van marked parking services.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Western end only by the clock tower or you mght be booked, they work at night sometimes to catch lorries at the industrial areas, if there aren't any they go elsewhere in a white van marked parking services.
And so they should. No point having restrictions if they aren't enforced.
It's just like planning consent in that respect, there to serve the overall public interest rather than just the wants of individuals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back