3 wheeled scooter on car licence. (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I know you can drive one of these 3 wheeled scooters on a car licence but can you carry a pillion passenger ?

Vlad

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I own an MP3 LT 300 which as you say can be driven on a car licence. You can carry a pillion passenger but the fact that you wish to do so needs to be declared to the insurance company. A company that deals with these bikes is Lexham and I think these are the only ones that do so. I adapted a trailer to tow the bike so that the two front wheels have a track with the rear sitting in the middle. Great to use with the MH
IMG_2417.JPG

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I may be wrong as I'm sure I have been before just can't remember, I think it depends on the width of the front axle as to whether your allowed to drive these on car licence. I know that wasn't your question so feel free to ignore :)

P.S. Did you see the game last certainly looking better under BR.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I may be wrong as I'm sure I have been before just can't remember, I think it depends on the width of the front axle as to whether your allowed to drive these on car licence. I know that wasn't your question so feel free to ignore :)

P.S. Did you see the game last certainly looking better under BR.
Thanks Gerry after the first disaster in Gibraltar i was unsure but as you say it's looking more promising .
Was thinking I need a toy and fancied the idea of a scooter probably more of a pipe dream .

Vlad

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes certainly looking hungrier and fitter.

Funny enough I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years and even sold my wee works scooter in the hope of getting one of these, still looking and might get one someday

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the only one you can ride (drive?) on a car license is the Piaggio LT400. All the others are too narrow and need a bike license. But for the sake of safety I suggest getting some lessons as it really is just a motorbike - with a rule-bending design! :)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
There are Piaggio MP3 (three wheel) motorbikes these you need Motorbike licence. The Trikes are the MP3 LT models from 125 upto 500, these are bigger in design, i.e. wider front wheel stance and longer in overall length than the motorbike MP3 and have a footbrake to be classified as a trike,thus as a trike you drive the vehicle on a full licence. `The same as Del Boys reliant robin", although the LT series look like the motorbikes they are a complete different classification and therefor the car licence comes into its own.

You do not even need the CBT driving test,although if you have never ridden a motorbike I strongly recommend you take this bike handling course.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If it's a trike do you have to wear a helmet ?
I know it's a life saver just curious ,I've always fancied a proper trike too.

Vlad

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it used to be the wheels had to be further apart than 460mm measured at center of tread it was no helmets if less then helmets
i admit i,m perhaps not upto date . but that was correct when i was trike building and riding .
but wearing the spanish steel helmets people thought theyuwere german and they werent . was nicer in the rain.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Handy to know, although i dont see many on the roads.

May just re-do my license and register my race bike, but if one comes up at right dollar ..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
can you carry a pillion passenger

Yes you can.

A company that deals with these bikes is Lexham and I think these are the only ones that do so.

I have mine insured with someone other than Lexham

I think the only one you can ride (drive?) on a car license is the Piaggio LT400.

There used to be thee models available, the 125, 250 and 400.
Now there are still three models the 125, 300 and 500. In each case the 125 is the only one that CANNOT be ridden on a car licence.

The Trikes are the MP3 LT models from 125 upto 500, these are bigger in design, i.e. wider front wheel stance and longer in overall length than the motorbike MP3 and have a footbrake to be classified as a trike,thus as a trike you drive the vehicle on a full licence.

The 125 hass narrower front wheel track and does not have the footbrake or the handbrake which is one of the many differences between them and the larger 250, 300, 400 and 500

If it's a trike do you have to wear a helmet ?

In law NO you don't, in reality you'd be daft not too.

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
Hi popeye.
Do you know how far apart your front wheels are ?

Sammy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back