Free Member
Aug 11, 2016
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been lurking for a little while now and about time to say hello (Aye up where i come from)
We do not own a Motorhome as yet but very keen to rectify that very soon. Not entirely sure what we need, probably a coach built without a fixed bed as we need the extra space as we have two German Shepherd dogs to take with us.
So many makes and styles to choose from,it seems a bit of a minefield to say the least.
We will not be buying new, just too expensive, but possibly something slightly used up to about 3 years old between 6 and 7 metres.
Any recommendations? From what i have been reading the consensus is that the foreign makes seem better screwed together and less likely to suffer damp issues. is this indeed the case?
Look forward to joining into the "Fun" very soon.

John and Ann

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Welcome to the world of travel.

If you're a bit "green" about the various motorhomes out there and not to sure what you want then you really must start by getting stuck into getting inside as many as you can.
Visit dealers and shows even if they are far away (makes a nice outing), get into the vans - sit in the driving and pasenger seats, make up the beds and lie on them, stand in the shower, sit on the loo, pretend you're washing, cooking, eating sleeping etc. and preferably do it without the dealer looking over your shoulder.
So check out dealer stock, take a look at Autotrader and Ebay and see if there's anything local you can go and check out.
But................ while you're doing all this field work........ always, always, leave your plastic at home.

The othe thing you need to work on is just what sort of use you will be making of your expensive purchase.
Odd weekends away, multi months touring, summer only or all seasons - that will dictate the type of vehicle you should be looking at.

And while you're doing all this, if you don't already know about it, fully understand what payload is about and how useless a nice shiny motorhome is if it has no decent payload.

Enjoy your hunting but take your time - and don't wear rose tinted glasses when you're searching.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

For what it's worth our 5.5 year old Elddis Autoquest 145 on a Peugeot MWB doesn't leak, is well built for the price point & everything works as intended.

Others will no doubt disagree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome to the fun. I would suggest that when you become a full paid up member you look in the resources tab and download jims guide to buying a motorhome. Loads of tips and things to consider. There's loads of members with lots of knowledge on here to give you guidance.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and :welcomesign: Have a day out at one of the big dealers and sit in as many Motorhomes as you can.
Best advice I was given was to imagine it's raining for 24 hours !
You'll need to think where your dogs would curl up or stretch out and still leave space for the humans.
Take your time,myou ll feel as if you've gone into information overload but it'll give you an idea of different layouts and what will or won't work for you.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Go over to Oaktree motorhomes they are really helpful and will be be happy to leave you alone for as long as you want and usually have a good selection in. (better say I have no commercial link with the)
http://www.omcmotorhomes.co.uk

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There................and.............:welcome4:

you are getting some good advice on here. Oaktree have a good range of MHs

Mick

OP
OP
J

johns6809

Free Member
Aug 11, 2016
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for all the valuable advice.
We are going to visit 3 or 4 dealers tomorrow to have a mooch round.
We have a budget that would possibly allow us to buy a new entry level motorhome but we are of a mind that we would be better off buying a lightly used secondhand one as we should get more for our money that way and perhaps one that has had some extras fitted by the previous owner.
Just a thought.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks everyone for all the valuable advice.
We are going to visit 3 or 4 dealers tomorrow to have a mooch round.
We have a budget that would possibly allow us to buy a new entry level motorhome but we are of a mind that we would be better off buying a lightly used secondhand one as we should get more for our money that way and perhaps one that has had some extras fitted by the previous owner.
Just a thought.

A new entry level or a 3 ish year old "quality" van - I know which one I'd go for. Enjoy your search and don't be afraid of taking lots of pics and making lots of notes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back