Optional extra or after-market? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If I decide to shell out for a New PVC I then I’ll need to decide what options I want factory fitted. Some of the options are presumably ‘no brainers’ in as much as if you want them done you should get them done at the beginning e.g. Metallic paint, larger engine, bigger tanks. Others I am not so sure about, the decision pivoting between getting them factory fitted for compatibility and brand expertise or getting them done independently for less cash. For example, Westfalia offer a 2nd 95Ah AGM battery for 299 euro, an Awning for 929 euro and a 100wp solar panel for 1260 euro. To the uninitiated these sound unnecessarily expensive and jobs that a decent independent could do well. What do forum members think? :active:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
They are all straightforward to fit aftermarket so why tie yourself into suppliers pricing without first shopping around?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Check out @eddievanbitz he does a discount as he is a funster we haven't dealt with them but he gets rave reveiws from everyone who does.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Check out @eddievanbitz... but he gets rave reveiws from everyone who does.
...apart from one guy who had to cancel his holiday because his reversing camera failed :whistle:

Whatever happened to him? Is he still having MotorhomeFun :rofl:.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The awning is good value if you want one, we didn't bother on current van have not missed it.
Solar price is just plane stupid.
AGM battery, best place for those is the bin. I assume the standard battery is an AGM if it was me I would insist it is changed for a Gel as part of the deal

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you do it yourself you can do it a lot cheaper. Or get someone else to do it and it will almost certainly be cheaper than the getting the vehicle manufacturer to do it and you will certainly save several hundred euros.

However, buying it all fitted means you can go off and use the MH the next week. Or you can book it in somewhere at a future date and take a couple of days out having it all fitted.

Just hope you don't have electrical problems which result in two companies blaming each other and trying to put the blame on the other.

Your choice. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The awning is good value if you want one, we didn't bother on current van have not missed it.
Solar price is just plane stupid.
AGM battery, best place for those is the bin. I assume the standard battery is an AGM if it was me I would insist it is changed for a Gel as part of the deal
At a two hundred reduction

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
...apart from one guy who had to cancel his holiday because his reversing camera failed :whistle:

Whatever happened to him? Is he still having MotorhomeFun :rofl:.
He was Australian or something and think he only came on to rant about his reversing camera

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
To me the price of the awning seems expensive,from memory we paid about €650 for a 3 mtr from a local to us dealer in France,that was fitted.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If I decide to shell out for a New PVC I then I’ll need to decide what options I want factory fitted. Some of the options are presumably ‘no brainers’ in as much as if you want them done you should get them done at the beginning e.g. Metallic paint, larger engine, bigger tanks. Others I am not so sure about, the decision pivoting between getting them factory fitted for compatibility and brand expertise or getting them done independently for less cash. For example, Westfalia offer a 2nd 95Ah AGM battery for 299 euro, an Awning for 929 euro and a 100wp solar panel for 1260 euro. To the uninitiated these sound unnecessarily expensive and jobs that a decent independent could do well. What do forum members think? :active:
A/C and Cruise control and tinted windows would be my choice

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
........I can see their response now "if you fit any additional items then your warranty will be invalid sir"

I'd check to make sure that any additional items you fit does not invalidate the warranty.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of the things I liked about buying from Murvi is the guy you deal with, Rex, who is the son of the founder of the company, just doesn't do "hard sell" when it comes to extras. His line is you should use the vehicle for a while then decide what extras you need. Of course some of the Fiat extras like cab A/C have to be specified when you order as they will be added while the vehicle is on the production line, others like a larger fuel tank could be retro-fitted but at considerable expense I think. But MH things like, for example, external BBQ points can be added later and in my experience Murvi charge the same as if you ordered them originally. And their charges are lower than in the OP for similar stuff.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you are worried about the warranty then get a quote from the supplying dealer to fit the options they are cheaper than the manufacturer, but check what kit the manufacturer fits for the solar controller as you want to ensure it all integrates with your van control panel if possible and supplied by someone else, does not really matter with the awning (other than colour) and the battery should be easy just match what you have already.

For our van we got the 2nd battery supplied by manufacturer as part of a upgrade pack, the awning and solar by the supplying dealer and the alarm and towbar by an independent although alarm was fitted whilst still on the dealers site. No warranty issues, as no holes were made in the van by 3rd parties.

After a few months we got an underslung gas tank fitted, rang round got some prices rang the dealer they did it cost about 50 quid more from them than cheapest.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have essentials that are impractical to be added later factory or dealer fitted. You’re likely to get better prices on extras at the initial sale, to clinch a deal, and it reduces the degree of hassle if anything goes wrong as only one organisation is involved.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Check out @eddievanbitz he does a discount as he is a funster we haven't dealt with them but he gets rave reveiws from everyone who does.

Thanks, I'll certainly keep him in mind although it's a 400 mile round trip from here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Of course this is the other side of the coin ... Dealer prices are steep, bordering on stupid, but you are on firmer ground with warranty work. It's hard to fit awnings and solar panels without drilling holes and touching the electrickery. :(

Just hope you don't have electrical problems which result in two companies blaming each other and trying to put the blame on the other.

........I can see their response now "if you fit any additional items then your warranty will be invalid sir"

I'd check to make sure that any additional items you fit does not invalidate the warranty.

No warranty issues, as no holes were made in the van by 3rd parties.

Have essentials that are impractical to be added later factory or dealer fitted. You’re likely to get better prices on extras at the initial sale, to clinch a deal, and it reduces the degree of hassle if anything goes wrong as only one organisation is involved.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back