XP system restore problem (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just got a glitch on my lappy and tried system restore.

didnt work.

unable to restore to XXXXX
no changes have been made.

any ideas ?

is there an issue with this or a MS repair patch

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having downloaded IE8 and found it to be riddled with problems I also tried to restore it would not allow me to do so. I had to remove IE8, it reverted to IE7 and problem disappeared. do it via add/remove programs

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi papa is sys restore turned on? it isn't always.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
being a complete no nothing about computers i get trouble with mine on systems restore .i switch it off at the wall and start up again , bet i shouldn,t someone may teach me what to do one day. ha ha .

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Ie8

We upgraded a few weeks ago to IE8, having a lot of problems at the moment, may try doing what you have said Roger

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
John that problem is almost always due to your anti-virus program. log off the internet, Disable AV and try again, a good chance it might work then. If this fails you Link RemovedYou will lose your old restore points but it should work in the future. System restore is a very flaky and unreliable system. Buy a copy of Acronis and take a disk image every now and then, bulletproof:Smile:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
having downloaded IE8 and found it to be riddled with problems I also tried to restore it would not allow me to do so. I had to remove IE8, it reverted to IE7 and problem disappeared. do it via add/remove programs

still using IE7 ithink.

must check.:thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Try safe mode again John and select Last known configuration that worked::bigsmile:

sos forgot the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
ok here you go how to repair without lossing anything as long asyou are using a XP disk,this will not work with system disk: you will have to reload your main board ,sound and network sofware foir your comp again:

Put Xp disk in drive,let it do its buisness lol

You will come to a Repair option ,ignore it

when you get to 2nd option of fresh install you will see Repair again,select that one[Repair not fresh instal]

Let windows reload all again

on Restart all your files extra not been touched :thumb:

The reason why i said no to system disk,Windows is in a locked Partion of the HD,your reinstall disk has the unlock in it ,hence if you have to add a new HD ,you get no windows with it :whatthe:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Buy a copy of Acronis and take a disk image every now and then, bulletproof:Smile:

Is the 'Acronis Disk Director' Jim?

I have this but can't see an obvious option to take a 'disk image'

Having recently had to do a clean install on my laptop recently and realising just how much I had lost, even though I thought I'd been very careful to copy stuff onto an external hard drive for re-installation :Sad: - I would be very keen to use Acronis if, as you say, its bulletproof.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
desktop changed properties for no reason.
reverted nto XP default screen and properties.

That sounds very much like a graphics driver update. If this is the case system restore probably won't be able to go back. I had this problem once and traced to the graphics driver.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
desktop changed properties for no reason.
reverted nto XP default screen and properties.

Sounds very much like a graphics driver update. I had a problem once where restore would not work and this was the reason. Graphics driver had been updated and restore was not able to go back. If that is your only problem John I would right click on the desktop, put the settings back where you want them then create a new restore point and try it out. ::bigsmile: whoops thought the last post had not gone in.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
hi papa turn on pc click start box comes up type in the bottom msconfig then click run this sometimes help cant quiet rember the layout on xp as useing vista at the moment or if you can get on the net i found a free cleaner called ccleaner down load that and run it that helps a good bit too it is free

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
since reverting to IE7 some of the toolbars are greyed out and no longer accessable
including the ebay toolbar which I have tried to reinstall, yahoo toolbar and the AVG security toolbar
Any ideas.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try safe mode again John and select Last known configuration that worked::bigsmile:

sos forgot the link

tried that and still no work.

repeatedly clicking F8 opens the page then selected the 'last known good'.

must be a corrupt/missing file in the system restore files:Doh:

stuff it !!!!

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
tried that and still no work.

repeatedly clicking F8 opens the page then selected the 'last known good'.

must be a corrupt/missing file in the system restore files:Doh:

stuff it !!!!

Did you try Jims solution?

OK try sfc /scannow to try and repair the system file configuration

Start / run/ type in the box sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc) you may be asked to insert your xp disc

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
since reverting to IE7 some of the toolbars are greyed out and no longer accessable
including the ebay toolbar which I have tried to reinstall, yahoo toolbar and the AVG security toolbar
Any ideas.

Hi, Roger Go to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing. Verify that "Enable third-party browser extensions" is checked.

Also try starting ie7 from program files instead of the desktop icon see if that makes a diff. To be honest your better off without addons its usually those that cause most browser problems.

regards

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did you try Jims solution?

OK try sfc /scannow to try and repair the system file configuration

Start / run/ type in the box sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc) you may be asked to insert your xp disc

tried that and got this box.....

took over 30 mins to complete then just disappeared off screen.

i assume thats normal.

i havent tried Jims method yet.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
tried that and got this box.....

took over 30 mins to complete then just disappeared off screen.

i assume thats normal.

Yes thats normal it doesn't tell you if it has repaired /replaced sc files you will need to reboot and check if it has repaired your problem?

Since non of your restore points work have you tried disabling system restore , rebooting then enabling SR then creating a restore point and see if it works
Link Removed

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes thats normal it doesn't tell you if it has repaired /replaced sc files you will need to reboot and check if it has repaired your problem?

Since non of your restore points work have you tried disabling system restore , rebooting then enabling SR then creating a restore point and see if it works
Link Removed

yes, tried that, your magnificent computer wizardness, sir.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

works a treat now.

dont know if it was "turn off, reboot, turn on" or the previous fix...."sfc /scannow" but it worked.
created new restore point...."restore working ok" so i should be able to find it next time.

thanks for all replies and especially sinbad. :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
yes, tried that, your magnificent computer wizardness, sir.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

works a treat now.

dont know if it was "turn off, reboot, turn on" or the previous fix...."sfc /scannow" but it worked.
created new restore point...."restore working ok" so i should be able to find it next time.

thanks for all replies and especially sinbad. :thumb:

Glad your sorted

ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE way to go John::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back