Leisure batteries, Portugal (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Both my leisure batteries are past their use and have been for a few months. The solar/wind charge them fine but they will only hold the charge for the rest of that day and night. Which has been working fine and got us by but we are soon to head from Portugal to the UK and not so confidant they will keep up with the demand we put on them.
What's best to do, try to run with them until I get back to the UK or source new ones out here?. I know they are available but is the quality as good? Are they going to be cheaper in the UK? I guess if I get them here and there's a quality problem and I'm the UK that could be tricky.

Questions questions, opinions and advice welcome please.

Shawn.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only problem with buying something a long way from home is if you need to claim on the warranty.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Generally batteries in Portugal seem to be more expensive than the UK, especially at current exchange rates. Your existing batteries are unlikely to collapse overnight so if they have enough capacity to survive now then you have a good chance of getting back OK. On the other hand if it is marginal it may well be better to get batteries before you head back, a distress purchase en route will almost inevitably be painful financially. If you are in the Algarve it may be worth trying the chandlers at one of the marinas or there is a good UK live aboard community in Lagos marina who will know their way around local suppliers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I bought two Exide Gel batteries in Germany and saved about 30% over the best mail order price in the UK. OK you might not be coming home via Germany so just saying.

Martin

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The yacht chandler in the marina at Ayamonte does sell batteries at reasonable prices. Maybe not quite as cheap as the UK but not too much more.
Ayamonte is just across the border on the Spanish side of the border on the Algarve coast.
Its run by a Dutch chap who is married to a Brit and he speaks perfect English.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back