Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
A few weeks ago after about 11 months ownership I noticed the dreaded reverse judder on several occaisions on my 2.3 new shape Ducato, so not being one to hang about I e.mailed Fiat at contactfiat@uk-central.com giving details of my problem, Fiat promptly replied asking for a few more details and said I would be contacted within 5 working days. After 3 days a lovely lady at Fiat HQ called Kay contacted me by phone and arranged for the remedial work to be carried out at the same time as the 1st service to make it more convenient for me. She informed me that the engine mountings, reverse gear, clutch damper and clutch would all be replaced and the work would take 3-4 days.
I picked the MH up yesterday after only 2 days at the dealers and can report that all the problems have been fixed and the vehicle now reverses without a hint of a judder and no thump on starting and seems to be a better drive all round.
The receptionist at the Fiat dealer let me have a peek at the invoice that will be sent to Fiat for the work carried out and it totalled just under £1200 with trade discount, this is why the work is only done on receipt of a complaint and not as a recall.
To be fair I can only praise Fiat for the way they dealt with my problem. At all times I adopted a pleasant and friendly manner which was reciprocated and which seemed to pay dividends rather than an aggresive bullish attitude which invariably gets peoples backs up and makes them more awkward and unwilling to help.
So if any of you Funsters have this problem contact Fiat on the above link and I hope your experience will be as positive as mine has been.
John.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can report that all the problems have been fixed and the vehicle now reverses without a hint of a judder and no thump on starting and seems to be a better drive all round.
John.

Are you one happy bunny !!

And you must be 3 grand better off too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
nice one glad to hear some one say some thing positive about fiat . having just got one our selfs. good luck and hope you have many happy times with your van :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

putties

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Had mine done today and cannot fault Fiat for the speed they carried out the work.

Putties

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
had ours done last week also its as you said no hint of a judder :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its nice to hear Fiat have sorted peoples problems out after saying for so long the vans were not faulty

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I, also, have just had my X2/50 'fixed'.

My experience differs from the original poster as it took over a year to get the 'intervention' completed.

After being shunted around by Fiat for over a year I phoned Fiat UK who then told me that my details had been forwarded to Fiat Italy just twenty minutes ago!!

I was told that some parts had been sent to my local branch of Adams Morey who informed me that they were for another vehicle and Fiat would not allow them to be reallocated to me even though that customer was not having the 'fix' until later in the year.

Adams Morey then took up the cudgels on my behalf and 'persueded' Fiat to relent.

I do have to say in praise of Fiat that this work was done six months after my warranty had run out totally free of charge.

Also all credit to Adams Morey of Portsmouth for their help and for completing a not straight forward job (another cog was chipped) very quickly and efficiently.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I, also, have just had my X2/50 'fixed'.

I do have to say in praise of Fiat that this work was done six months after my warranty had run out totally free of charge.

Why praise Fiat they have done no more than they should have done in the first place provide you with something that works correctly. It has taken them a year in your case, some much longer to get round to doing what should have been done at the development stage. I would still never purchase a Fiat again.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Well done to Fiat. However, they better speak to their representatives at the Fiat stand at the NEC who had heard of a "very few cases of judder on the X250" and that there was absolutely no problems experienced by anyone with the 3 litre version. This is not the experience of just about every owner of these vehicles.

Having slammed Fiat myself on this and other forums I've just ordered one on the Comfortmatic gearbox. Why I ask myself? The reason is that there is virtually no satisfactory alternative if you need a van with an automatic gearbox.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Still think it's the best base chassis made for the job, so do a lot of other people.

Bill

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Still think it's the best base chassis made for the job, so do a lot of other people.
Just shows that you can con a lot of the people a lot of the time!

Even Fiat admit (belatedly) that it is just not right and that some just cannot be fixed. Tell the owners of these vans how they own the best chassis for the job.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just shows that you can con a lot of the people a lot of the time!

Even Fiat admit (belatedly) that it is just not right and that some just cannot be fixed. Tell the owners of these vans how they own the best chassis for the job.

I am one of the above. To be frank it's not a problem to me and never has been. I have had the "fixes" and it's still not quite right but in my view still the best chassis that's why it keeps winning the chassis of the year award. Have you ever driven one? Just in case you think I am inexperienced I was a driver electrician in the army, since then I have driven for Tarmac and also buses so I speak from knowledge. Would I buy another Fiat? Yes.::bigsmile:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I have had the "fixes" and it's still not quite right but in my view still the best chassis that's why it keeps winning the chassis of the year award.
You cannot be serious.

"it's not quite right"! " but it is the best chassis"?

It keeps winning the chassis of the year award for reasons only known to those who make the awards and I doubt if any of the customers who still suffer judder and/or scuttle leaks are asked to vote.
They are used because they are the cheapest.

I have only driven one ( delivering for a friend and didn't need to reverse) but have read the comments of many who have and have personal contact (outwith any forums) with 2 ex Fiat owners. You dont actually have to be hung by the neck to know it is not a good idea.
I am mystified by people who defend Fiat and thank them for fixing something that they caused, lied about and now say they 'can do no more'.

Your experience of other vehicles is no doubt relevant to you.

The distortion of the market caused by other bases becoming more popular has affected me by pushing up the price of non Fiat bases. Would I buy any Fiat - NO

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
You cannot be serious.

It keeps winning the chassis of the year award for reasons only known to those who make the awards and I doubt if any of the customers who still suffer judder and/or scuttle leaks are asked to vote.

I have only driven one ( delivering for a friend and didn't need to reverse) but have read the comments of many who have and have personal contact (outwith any forums) with 2 ex Fiat owners. You dont actually have to be hung by the neck to know it is not a good idea.
I am mystified by people who defend Fiat and thank them for fixing something that they caused, lied about and now say they 'can do no more'.

The distortion of the market caused by other bases becoming more popular has affected me by pushing up the price of non Fiat bases. Would I buy any Fiat - NO

Good post and very accurate about fiat. I will never buy another one thats for sure.

steve

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are happy with ours. Its done 4,500 miles now with no problems what so ever.

Its is miles better than the old cab Fiat, and we have had less problems with it than our last M/H which was a 2007 Transit 2.2. 130BHP.

Richard...

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
What always amazes me is the vitriol levelled at Fiat over this. The Transit has had "judder" problems (I believe in 1st gear") The Merc has had it's problems (take a look at the forums) Also why is it that those of us who are happy with our machines are pilloried? I now find that if I do not apply any revs until clutch is fully released then there is no judder. The van drives like a dream, no rolling about even when overtaken or overtaking lorries. The torque is amazing you can almost stop and still pull away in third gear. From one mail to Fiat everything has been done by them promptly and efficiently. I appreciate that some of the early reports were poor but in recent times they have got their act together. No company would research a problem reported by just a few but when more of us reported the problem steps were put in motion to try to resolve the problem. :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
You cannot be serious.

Must admit am in total agreement with the above. I must admit I to am also mystified as to why people thank Fiat for mending their bad development work.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From one mail to Fiat everything has been done by them promptly and efficiently.

One for you *but* thousands were rejected until the internet co-ordinated an attack they could not wriggle out of with one or two gagged semi-secret out of court settlements on the way.

Fiat were fighting for their very existence and did all they could to minimise the damage.

Most of these facts were on FACTS at the time. One man saved you all it seems to me.

I've got the previous Fiat chassis, I can't fault it. Once I'm sure the drive train as been put right I would buy another but only if the van was what I wanted otherwise I'd consider other makes but not so sure about Mercedes after the poor sod in here got screwed by them.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
What always amazes me is the vitriol levelled at Fiat over this.
Could it be because they have lied for years about their faulty design and are still refusing to accept that there are some models in need of a fix?

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Whats even worse than the "JUDDER" is their constant lying and deceitfulness through all of this to their customers. I'm sorry, but I don't give a monkeys for company's like that and my dosh will be spent elsewhere in future.:thumb:

Just to add that my three litre has been tested twice for the judder at two different dealers and twice it came back as positive, yet fiat still tell me there is not a problem with that particular model.:whatthe: I am dumbfounded.

steve

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Thats very comforting but has anybody else ( I know you'r out there) had a solution to starter batteries flatening....battery drain

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Its a FIAT what do you expect? Would anyone buy a FIAT car through choice? Just look at the second hand value of FIAT cars! Not worth a carrot! l wouldn't hand my hard earned money over for a FIAT MH thats for sure.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I now find that if I do not apply any revs until clutch is fully released then there is no judder. The van drives like a dream, no rolling about even when overtaken or overtaking lorries. The torque is amazing you can almost stop and still pull away in third gear.

This is quite correct as I have said in the past many times and quite happy to demonstrate or a member of staff will at Johns Cross.

Peter

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Just to add that my three litre has been tested twice for the judder at two different dealers and twice it came back as positive, yet fiat still tell me there is not a problem with that particular model.:whatthe: I am dumbfounded.

steve[/QUOTE]

I have just also had our 3lt tested and it has been described as vibration not judder as in the 2.3.
It has not been agreed at the moment with Fiat but the dealer/tester would like to try the engine mount replacement.
The last letter from Fiat said there is no problem found on the 3lt and they suggest reversing with more than 1000rpm, but they also invited me to have it checked at the dealer so a report can be sent to Italy.
Tony

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Somebody tell me whats going on here.

Some people get a fix, no hassle, others screaming they aren't getting any assistance at all?

Puzzled:Sad:

Bill

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Somebody tell me whats going on here.

Some people get a fix, no hassle, others screaming they aren't getting any assistance at all?

Puzzled:Sad:

Bill

Your puzzled so are some people who are trying to get something done, as are the people looking on. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to any thing Fiat do, apart from a divide and conquer policy.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Fiat deny there is a problem with the 3 litre. There is someone on out and about live who is taking Fiat to Court and it seems from the posts that Fiat are beginning to backtrack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back