replacement bathroom vanity sink. (1 Viewer)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We looked at replacing the sink in our Hymer 680 and were quoted around £700 as its apparently a lengthy job due to its situation behind the mirror. We opted to have it 'Speedcoated' instead and to treat the whole bathroom floor, shower tray, sink, shower console and side shelf by the Thetford was cheaper than the quote we'd had for the replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 78

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Kim, Is yours plastic? Ours has a few scratch marks on it will they cover okay?

Yes, ours is plastic and it had degraded with UV and became very brittle, so much so that it was disintegrating around the plug hole. A before picture below to show you how bad it was.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 70
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Following with interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We opted to have it 'Speedcoated' instead and to treat the whole bathroom floor, shower tray, sink, shower console and side shelf by the Thetford was cheaper than the quote we'd had for the replacement.

do they also do a smooth finish ?

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello, have changed mine about 2 years ago. Cost may be a bit more now due to exchange rate but mine was delivered to me in France direct from Hymer Germany. About £280 if I remember.
If you are fairly competent at DIY it's not a problem to fit. Biggest problem is removing the mirror to get to 4 mounting screws behind the lower edge. The mirror is held by 3 vertical strips of mirror tape & 1 across the bottom. As I intended changing the mirror anyway I wasn't too worried about breaking it. I used a long palette knife to cut through the tape from the bottom edge upwards, a bit of a long winded fiddle but I did get the mirror out in 1 piece.
It also sits in a recess on the right hand edge so has to be removed from the left, ie as if you were opening a door from the left. You will need to remove the lights above the basin to allow the mirror to swing past them, there is not enough room otherwise.The trim above the lights eases out of it's slot.
Once the mirror is out the job is easy.
My mirror had the silvering going on the bottom edge so I had a new one cut at the local DIY / glass shop.
Whether you break the mirror or not it's worth changing anyway. Have it cut shorter than the original, measure from above the top mounting of the basin,then make an infill attached with double sided tape, I used the same mirror tape, then if you have any further problems ie tap change etc. it makes life so much easier removing the basin.
It's also worth extending the hoses to the tap by about 6 inches, gives more movement fitting the basin back in or removing again at a later date..
The hoses are cable tied to the waste pipe on the left.
Easier access to the hoses can be gained by removing the cupboard under the basin.2 screws either side behind small plugs.
Have fun.
Barrie.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I put Speedcoat into google but couldn’t access their home page!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back