Fitting A Roof Box - What Do I Need To Know? (1 Viewer)

Tasng4

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Auverne Rhone-Alpes
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1984
Exp
April 2016
Firstly I assume this is the correct place for my question, if not please feel free to move it or ask me to re-post in the correct one.

I have a 1984 Ford Transit MH (see photo), there is a ladder at the back so I can get to the roof. Once up there it's obvious where one can walk about as the roof is thicker, as if a piece of 15mm plywood has been cut & made to fit around the roof vents etc. I assume this was at manufacture. I also have a roof box which I'd like to fit up there but I'm unsure of the best/safest way to fit it to the roof or even if this is a good idea to do it ones self.

My thoughts would be to use quite a lot of screws and Tiger seal to screw/glue it to the roof. The MH does have a chrome rail around the perimiter of the roof but I assume this isn't designed to have long roof bars fitted to it.

Any suggestions greatfully receieved.

Attachments

• DSCN8001.JPG
    DSCN8001.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 38
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Check your new "Height" if you are going through ...."Rouen"....
Tea Bag

Reactions: JJ

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My thoughts would be to use quite a lot of screws

I would avoid using any screws to secure to the roof. I have not done it myself but others have used Sikaflex or possibly strong double sided tape.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Provided it is a bonded roof construction Sikflex without screws will be fine

On the either hand, if it's aluminium sheet on wooden frame .. then I would use screws and Sikaflex .. otherwise the box could lift the ally sheeting

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just keep in mind that if you use French toll roads the box will activate the height checking equipment and put you into a more expensive rate, the only way round that is to press the button to speak to an operator and explain that you are a camping car.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We have a roof box for the car, and that is fitted by using 'U' bolts to attach the vehicle cross rails to the internal steel frame of the roof box. The actual box is fairly flimsy plastic/fibreglass.

A roof box for the top of a motorhome would need to be constructed very differently. Maybe worthwhile looking at the Fiamma website to see if they have any information about fitting theirs?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Hearsay aside I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually had a manual booth or an automatic toll class them as anything other than Category 2.

My vehicle is 2.77 metres high. I have an a/c unit which is 250mm high but this sits on a roof which is lower than the side rails so I guess adds 180mm to the height i.e. 2950mm

The MTPLM/GVW is 4250kg (and thereby Category 3)

We often tow a car on an a-frame (and presumably are therefore Category 4)

I have never registered on automatic tolls as anything other than Category 2 and never been charged anything other than this on an attended toll.

So...

Anyone with a luton style MH from Roller Team i.e. 675 or 690 been charged as Category 3 (they have an overall height of 3200mm)?

Anyone with a tag axle been charged as category 4?

Attachments

• sanef.jpg
    sanef.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 6
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hearsay aside I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually had a manual booth or an automatic toll class them as anything other than Category 2.

Yes a few times on a auto both and as another poster said you need to press the button and explain you are a camping car.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Anyone with a tag axle been charged as category 4?
Oh yes. Automatic booths (in France) always ping us for a Cat 4. Manual operator booths usually charge Cat 2, but they are few and far between these days. I've never tried pressing the button and saying "camping car", since we are actually a Category 4 and I haven't got that much front!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Got a 500 litre top box on a 91 Hymer.

It has what looks like a large bolt in each corner screwed into rather large threaded washers on the ceiling side, and 2 safety straps on either side to the rails.

It was fitted by Hymer at the build point, been there 25 years and still sound.

There is a fair bit of pressure against an exposed slab sided box at speed, get it wrong and you could have a large ventilation hole, not forgetting the carnage that could ensue if it blew off on a busy dual carriageway or motorway.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back