Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Hi everybody

I am thinking of investing in an EZA 12v lithium power pack to replace lead acid batteries. I know they are expensive But we are looking for stress free living and these look ideal.
Has any one got any experience of them ,and are there any reviews for their long term use? All I can find is basically advertising

Cheers DC

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion the tech for large batteries is too new.
In a real world how long will they really last, how many charge cycles before they begin to deteriorate.
The cost will buy many conventional lead acids, far outlasting in total one lithium.

Trojan or similar traction batteries would be a much wiser buy in view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kip

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But we are looking for stress free living

Then I can see why you are thinking of using the technology the set fire to Sony laptops, that grounded the new Boeing Dreamliner, that turns Tesla cars into fireballs.

Lithium is good when weight and space is vitally important.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lithium has many advantages over lead acid: little or no voltage drop-off as they discharge, difficult to damage in storage, no requirement for top-up charging, simple and precise charging systems, very high current capacity with very little voltage sag under heavy loads (excellent for inverter use). They're expensive but may cost little or no more than equivalent lead acid long term. One mistake with a lead acid can kill it or substantially reduce its lifespan - something that's almost impossible to do to a lithium battery.

OP
OP
D

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Has anybody got or had one of these? if so what are your views

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@davethespark
http://www.technomadia.com/2015/02/living-the-lithium-lifestyle-3-5-year-lithium-rv-battery-update/

These guys actually use lithium batteries and have done for years, know the difference between the various types, don't confuse the ones originally used on Dreamliners and Sony laptops etc with the type used in the EZA and provide a proper review based on personal knowledgeable experience as opposed to a report of a chat between two people. So suggest you read the above and then make up your mind.

Chris may even reply to a nicely worded email, he did to a query of mine.

OP
OP
D

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Exp
That was really interesting, I dont think my wife would let me build a DIY system but my gut feeling is that lithium is the way to go. I have heard countless negative opinions but very little evidence drawn from experience. We are going to the Lincoln show next month and hopefully EZA will have a presence,so I can get more info, And get some feedback from previous customers .I dont think this is unreasonable given the price of the unit.

Thanks very Much DC

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Found this comparison online
Lithium -v- AGM

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2015/03/30/batteries-lithium-ion-vs-agm/

I'd be interested to find out about charging Lithium batteries. Are conventional solar controllers, B2B and mains chargers compatible?

All the above will not work.
The EZA Lithium unit has its own inbuilt charger. You simply connect it to your starter battery via an Anderson plug and there are inputs for the rest.
A B2B would be made redundant.
There is an installation guide below-

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
At £2700, I'll be keeping my A2B charger and traction batteries!
I note that the EZA pack can only have a maximum of 1500w inverter and cannot be used for an emergency jump start.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wonder if the Victron Lithium Batteries would be more compatible with their own solar controllers, inverters and chargers?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The 1500 watt inverter on a 80ah battery would be pretty good but I would expect a touch higher on the 130ah version although 1500 watts is as much as we would need.

Solar panels go direct to the unit without a regulator.

Quote from installation
  • Only connect devices which supply a voltage value between 18 and 22 Volts and a maximum current of 40A. Maximum allowed power: 400W.

•  Make sure that no external solar panel regulator is connected to the solar panel. A specific high efficiency lithium regulator is integrated in the EZA battery.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wonder if the Victron Lithium Batteries would be more compatible with their own solar controllers, inverters and chargers?

Hi Robert

Any solar panel 18 to 22 volts max 40 amps or 400 watts (which doesn't seem to tally)

Martin

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This will make you think-

My present system-

3x 115 AH traction batteries £360
1x Alternator to Battery charger £330
1x 2100w Inverter £400
Leads and sundries £100
Effective useable capacity 276 Ah at 80% DoD.

Total £1190, or £4.31 per Ah.

EZA system-

2x 130 Ah EZA packs £5590
2x Cables £144
1x Coupling Kit £495
1x EZA 1500w Inverter £988
Sundies £100.

Total effective available capacity is not published but I will call it 260Ah.

Total £7317, or £28.14 per Ah.

Reactions: f6c
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp

My present system-

1x 2100w Inverter £400
Leads and sundries £100

EZA system-

2x Cables £144
1x Coupling Kit £495
Sundies £100.

Lithiums at present cannot compete on a pure like for like cost basis, however they do have offsets to that high initial cost.
The estimated lifecycle at present for properly installed lithium powerpacks is as high as 20+ years, during which time your standard batteries would have had to be replaced several times, especially the AGM or gel types. We reckon on a maximum of 5 years for the ones we use for mission critical applications and we treat them with loving care and attention!

Lithium's can also have more 'usable' capacity which can be taken advantage of by either reducing the AHC or the weight carried or both., or indeed increasing your off EHU endurance.

It rather depends on whether these factors provide enough draw to make it worth your while and paying that large initial up front cost.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

My present system-

1x 2100w Inverter £400
Leads and sundries £100

EZA system-

2x Cables £144
1x Coupling Kit £495
Sundies £100.

But nobody said it was cheap.

What's the weight of your traction batteries 100kg or more? What does the EZA system weigh? you would most likely be OK with the 130ah system so saving a Few quid, no solar regulators needed so you could save a couple of hundred there so could knock nearly £3k of the price, So about £4K to save a few kg and a lump of space that not everybody has for traction batteries.

Martin

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
But all that cost for lithium batteries that ..YES will out live the lead batteries. But in 5 years time the expensive lithium batteries will be so outdated as technology moves on . And the lithium batteries in 5 years time will be more superior that you would most likely want to change them anyway.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
But nobody said it was cheap.

What's the weight of your traction batteries 100kg or more? What does the EZA system weigh? you would most likely be OK with the 130ah system so saving a Few quid, no solar regulators needed so you could save a couple of hundred there so could knock nearly £3k of the price, So about £4K to save a few kg and a lump of space that not everybody has for traction batteries.

Martin

EZA 130 Ah 25kg
Lead acid 130 Ah traction 28Kg

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
But all that cost for lithium batteries that ..YES will out live the lead batteries. But in 5 years time the expensive lithium batteries will be so outdated as technology moves on . And the lithium batteries in 5 years time will be more superior that you would most likely want to change them anyway.
So you are still rubbing sticks to make fire on the basis that the next development is worth waiting for?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
EZA 130 Ah 25kg
Lead acid 130 Ah traction 28Kg
OK the Trojan figures I saw were 30kg and I thought they would have been higher, of course the EZA has the solar controller included and I guess the mains charger as well but still not that much in it.

Martin

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
OK the Trojan figures I saw were 30kg and I thought they would have been higher, of course the EZA has the solar controller included and I guess the mains charger as well but still not that much in it.

Martin
The EZA is heavy because its a powerpack rather than a direct replacement for a Lead acid battery. There are a number of directly swappable LiFePo4 batteries on the market now that include the balancing circuit & BMS in the block and can be directly substituted for an LA type as long as the existing charger can be set to an AGM/Gel setting. A 200AHC battery of this type weighs around 30kgs but has an equivalent usable capacity to an LA of 260/300AHC.

Those that don't eg Victron, generally come with a battery management system lead that is connected to an external module which controls the charging.
So for equivalent usable capacity you are looking at around a 50% weight saving and similar space saving.

This is an American supplier of such batteries who does ship worldwide. These are direct drop in replacements and IMHO the way to go for existing LA installations.
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...n-batteries/12v-200ah-lithium-ion-battery.php

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
My gels on my previous hymer were 11 years old and still working well.
If you treat your batteries right, they should last, manufacturing errors excepted.
Good to hear. We change ours out on board because they are safety critical and 5 years is the manufacturer's guideline life expectancy.
For RH I certainly hope they will last as long as yours as they are a pair of very expensive Exide gel's (almost £500 each...! only installed in 2012 by the previous owner. If I and RH last that long I will hope that lithium's have dropped in price a tad by time I need them.

Think the point about lithium's is that its horses for courses, if the advantages in weight and space are essential to you then it is now a feasible though expensive option, if they aren't then probably some good gels

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I think that @Bart has a good point.

If there is a hint of mass market takeup - other companies will dive in and the prices will come down and the options become more varied - like solar panels, mobile phones and videos cassettes to name a few.

I m going to watch and wait for a bit.

Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think that @Bart has a good point.

If there is a hint of mass market takeup - other companies will dive in and the prices will come down and the options become more varied - like solar panels, mobile phones and videos cassettes to name a few.

I m going to watch and wait for a bit.

Jon
Hindsight is such a great skill set I wish I had it, then I would not have bought my VHS player, I would have waited for the DVD player, but maybe I would have waited for my Blue ray player instead, no I would have skipped all those and waited for streaming, no I will wait for the cheap brain implant that connects me directly with the internet and I can see movies in my head...... or shall I wait for?
Its always a difficult call!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I had an NEC 'portable' phone that was about 3 inches wide but sat on a battery pack of about 12 inches square - worked only in urban centres and gave me 3 hours standby!!!!

about 1988??

In fairness it did have nice big buttons.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back