LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
After many years of camping at Motorcycle racing, and ‘holidaying’ in faceless UK Motels, I’m ready to dip into the pension fund and have a bit of fun (before I’m too old)! :)

I’m looking to buy a new or nearly new Hi top van, possibly at the NEC show in October. I’ve thought about hiring or try before you buy but for me and my good lady I reckon the only way to know for sure is to commit to it for at least a couple of years, it should still have a fair value if we have to sell then. The plan would be to try mostly short overnight and long weekend runs and a couple of full weeks holiday the first year (Seaside, Lakes, Snowdonia etc.) then branch out the 2nd year and tour Scotland and maybe a foray across the Tunnel, as the wife won’t ferry.

Originally I’d thought of a 5.5m van as that would just about fit on our drive. All the ones we’ve seen so far are cat swinging room deficient so it looks like it’s going to have to be a 6m one. The choice is mind boggling for a beginner and I have a host of beginner type questions that I’ll probably raise individually if I can’t find answers with the Search button. Questions such as “What are the rules/by laws about on street parking”; “Which vans are recommended / avoided”; “How do I go about getting a good deal”. Any thoughts or links to existing threads gratefully accepted!
:thanks3:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
:welcome4:

I'd buy second-hand. You're first van won't be the one you really want & initial depreciation is eye-watering on new. At least with SH you can move it on quickly if it doesn't suit you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi paid up members can download jims motorhome buying guide free. Invest the £15 and it will be the best money you will spend, loads of knowledge on here and great guidance too. All the best with your search.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi paid up members can download jims motorhome buying guide free. Invest the £15 and it will be the best money you will spend, loads of knowledge on here and great guidance too. All the best with your search.

Thanks for the advice, do you know if that covers Hi-top vans too?

:welcome4:

I'd buy second-hand. You're first van won't be the one you really want & initial depreciation is eye-watering on new. At least with SH you can move it on quickly if it doesn't suit you.

That's interesting. Dealers I've spoken to assure me that they don't depreciate like cars and the 2nd hand prices appear to back them up, you can pay almost as much for a 3 year old one as a new one and have very little warranty. Knowing my luck and lack of technical expertise I'd buy a lemon and have lost all my investment :(

Thank you (y)

Thank you (y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi I just had a quick look and there is a hi top section, but also loads of other great advice. All the best.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Take a look at Autotrader and Ebay to see what used prices are versus new.

Depreciation and VAT add up to a big chunk of dosh.

A 2/3/4 year old van can be as good as new but at considerably less cost.

Thanks for the advice. I did look pretty thoroughly at 'older' vans and in general it seemed that a new van costing £45k would cost about £40k after 3 years from a dealer or £38k private. The Dealer ones coming with a 3 to 6 month warranty and the private ones sold as seen. I am very risk averse so would not risk £38k (or even £10k) on something sold as seen. The difference between £40k and £45k for something with 3 months warranty versus 3 years does not attract me either. I'd rather pay the extra £5k and have peace of mind. It's not that much, in the great scheme of things, over 3 years.

The picture is further confused as the specification changes every year and often by every buyer making it very difficult to compare like for like. A new van is far more likely to come with a 3 way fridge, air con, and reversing aids as standard than a 3 year old one even if it is the 'same' model. That is only the 'headline' additions, improvements in heating and build are much harder to quantify.

I suppose we're all different, which is a good thing, I just don't feel comfortable with the risk of pre-owned unless it's an ex-demonstrator or similar with full warranty.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
For our first van we chose to buy a cheaper/older model. It gives you the chance to see if its for you and what layout suits. In the meantime you will be able to compare the many vans that our members have. Why are you thinking about an high top van? Are you still fit enough to climb up and down there every night?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2016-8-13_11-54-2.png

I am very risk averse
Same here. We bought new and have had a great 3 years with our first van.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
For our first van we chose to buy a cheaper/older model. It gives you the chance to see if its for you and what layout suits. In the meantime you will be able to compare the many vans that our members have. Why are you thinking about an high top van? Are you still fit enough to climb up and down there every night?

Thanks for that advice, I am getting a few nudges in that direction. From a 'value for money' perspective it's hard to fault - but there is risk too. At this point in my life I'd rather go with something safe and reliable even if it means paying a little over the odds. Also, if I bought an older one and Mrs Vanman thought it too basic or uncomfortable, that would be the experience over, there'd be no 2nd chance. I need to get this right first time (no pressure)!

The type of van I'm looking at generally has a rear transverse fixed double bed either at wheel arch height, or waist high for increased space below.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hello and welcome to the Fun. I have a hi-top van, a WildAx which I like a lot. We have a lively Owners Group too to share experience at a couple of meets a year. You have a WildAx dealer near you, ES Hartley at Ellesmere Port so you can have a look at the 6m models. They also do a very nice shorter one, the PUlsar, but at 5m probably too small for full size people!!!.

And no, I am not on commission!!!

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hello and welcome to the Fun. I have a hi-top van, a WildAx which I like a lot. We have a lively Owners Group too to share experience at a couple of meets a year. You have a WildAx dealer near you, ES Hartley at Ellesmere Port so you can have a look at the 6m models. They also do a very nice shorter one, the PUlsar, but at 5m probably too small for full size people!!!.

And no, I am not on commission!!!

Thank you. (y)

Funnily enough I was at WildAx HQ on Tuesday looking primarily at the Aurora (co-incidentally the same name as MH 55 Fun's Pooch), bit of a spooky start ;) There was mention of a 9 month backlog for new vans though which, if true, would put it out of contention unless I picked up an ex-demo or ex-hire one.

ES Hartley are just around the corner from Jenny Tinmouths Two wheel workshop (where I get my bike serviced) so they were my first dealer visit. Sadly they don't stock and WildAx vans for viewing, mostly Hobby coach builts :(

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

Thanks. (y) Membership sorted. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:welcome3: look at NEC it will be mind blowing! We nearly bought a van conversion and loved the Globecar/ possil make .SMC in Newark sell them.
We didn't get one in the end as hubbie felt it was downsizing one step to far just yet. ( we have a hobby van which is a similar layout to the one you are looking at! )
Good luck!!

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hello and welcome:welcome3: look at NEC it will be mind blowing! We nearly bought a van conversion and loved the Globecar/ possil make .SMC in Newark sell them.
We didn't get one in the end as hubbie felt it was downsizing one step to far just yet. ( we have a hobby van which is a similar layout to the one you are looking at! )
Good luck!!

Thanks! (y) My current short list is Adria Twin 600; Autocruise Accent; Dreamer D55; Globescout; Vantana K60; Boxlife/Boxstar 600; Foxy Van 600; Rapido V55/60; Tribute 669/670; Carabus 601; Westfalia Amundsen; Wildax Aurora. Looking for something with 3 seats, 2+1 beds and a separate lounge / bed.

The buyers guide is in the resources tab, in case you haven't found it yet.

Found it thanks! (and the check list) (y)

Thanks! (y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hi and welcome

Similar situation to ourselves. We bought a 6M Chausson 515 (ex showroom unregistered) and highly recommended (the 514 is probably better with hindsight). 4 belted seats, 2+2 beds (one fixed)

http://www.lowdhams.com/new-chausson-motorhomes (we went to Elite Motorhomes in Oxford, that was just the first link I could find easily)

Very pleased with our decision

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Good luck!!

Thanks! (y) I'm hoping to see as many as possible before the NEC but there are no Westfalia, Pilote, Dreamer or Adria van dealers within a decent distance. Newark is a 220 mile round trip so we'll have to see. The Notts area seems to be quite rich in dealerships.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks! (y) I'm hoping to see as many as possible before the NEC but there are no Westfalia, Pilote, Dreamer or Adria van dealers within a decent distance. Newark is a 220 mile round trip so we'll have to see. The Notts area seems to be quite rich in dealerships.
Yes that's a big consideration if you are buying from a dealer for warranty work or servicing . We've had 3 vans and never buy new as all the extras we might require have already been put on by previous owners sometimes!! Good luck!!
Try out the beds as some of the beds seem a tad short in van PVC !

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi and welcome

Similar situation to ourselves. We bought a 6M Chausson 515 (ex showroom unregistered) and highly recommended (the 514 is probably better with hindsight). 4 belted seats, 2+2 beds (one fixed)

http://www.lowdhams.com/new-chausson-motorhomes (we went to Elite Motorhomes in Oxford, that was just the first link I could find easily)

Very pleased with our decision

Thanks! (y) The 6m varieties seem attractive for drive-ability and ease of parking. I quite fancy a van conversion though as I feel I can pass it off as a van in car parks, clubs etc. It won't replace our current car but I'm hoping it'll be able to stand in for it from time to time.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Yes that's a big consideration if you are buying from a dealer for warranty work or servicing . We've had 3 vans and never buy new as all the extras we might require have already been put on by previous owners sometimes!! Good luck!!
Try out the beds as some of the beds seem a tad short in van PVC !

Thanks again. :) I'm pretty resigned to the fact that servicing will probably have to be done by an Independent, warranty work is a bit like Insurance for me - comforting to have, but hope you never have to use it. One of the advantages of these motor home is that they mostly use the same base vehicle and even loads of fridges/toilets are 3rd party, so it's only really the furniture and infrastructure that is bespoke. I agree about the beds, the +1 can be a bit of a laugh on some vans, both of us are pretty average height though so the doubles are generally ok ;).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back