Warning Bicycle Board when not carrying bikes? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Will shortly be departing for the mainland again although this time we will not be loading up our bicycles.
Our bike rack will therefore be folded up into its catches and will not be protruding too much.

Would I still need to display our Hazard Warning board as we drive, attached to the empty folded rack?
Thanks.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, might just do that. (Although its the cardboardy type and with me being a tad (?) aspergic it will drive me insane when the wind picks up and I'm trying to sleep.)
Thanks for the response.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Do you need to use a warning board if your bikes are on a towball mounted rack with its own number plate and lights?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Yes, might just do that. (Although its the cardboardy type and with me being a tad (?) aspergic it will drive me insane when the wind picks up and I'm trying to sleep.)
Thanks for the response.
Hi.
Have a think,sleep on it,an idea may come up...................... LOL
Tea Bag

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do you need to use a warning board if your bikes are on a towball mounted rack with its own number plate and lights?

yes.. it extends the vehicles total length

it's Compulsory in Spain and Italy.. advisory in France and elsewhere

The warning board must be installed for example if:

• a bicycle rear carrier is attached (with or without load), even when folded
• an object is transported on the vehicle´s top carrier (surfboard or the like) and extends beyond the rear bumper
• a load extends the vehicle´s total length (note the logbook). The extension beyond the front is not allowed. All applicable security measures have to be followed in accordance with the specifications by law thus ensuring that other humans are not in danger on the road. Marking is therefore always obligatory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, you do.

Last year we were stopped on the A23 just south of Teruel.
They fined me €80 reduced to €40 for paying on the spot. They then showed me where to buy a warning board.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
image.jpeg

I leave the warning board on all the time. Always ready for when you put bikes on. Tied on each corner with tie wraps. No wind noise travelling or at night.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

yes.. it extends the vehicles total length

it's Compulsory in Spain and Italy.. advisory in France and elsewhere

The warning board must be installed for example if:

• a bicycle rear carrier is attached (with or without load), even when folded
• an object is transported on the vehicle´s top carrier (surfboard or the like) and extends beyond the rear bumper
• a load extends the vehicle´s total length (note the logbook). The extension beyond the front is not allowed. All applicable security measures have to be followed in accordance with the specifications by law thus ensuring that other humans are not in danger on the road. Marking is therefore always obligatory.

Also I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that you are not allowed to use the cardboard/plastic ones in Italy. It has to be an aluminium one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We parked next to a British van at a motorway services in France on our last trip that had a towball mounted rack which obviously covered the number plate and rear light clusters but they hadn't bothered getting a light board or even a number plate.

I was wondering all trip how far they got before they were stopped and fined.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back