Never ending Gaslow.... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The first time I filled the system I got just over £6 in then went around Scotland for just over a month, although most of the time we were on hook up we used it to give additional heat to the hot water for two daily showers and some extra washing up and of course a fair bit of cooking and the occasional heating on a chilli night.

I have today filled it again and only £3.56 went in..! :eek:

I even tried pushing the button again thinking it was a mistake but no, I'm amazed ....:Eeek:

And very pleased:clap2:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The first time I filled the system I got just over £6 in then went around Scotland for just over a month, although most of the time we were on hook up we used it to give additional heat to the hot water for two daily showers and some extra washing up and of course a fair bit of cooking and the occasional heating on a chilli night.

I have today filled it again and only £3.56 went in..! :eek:

I even tried pushing the button again thinking it was a mistake but no, I'm amazed ....:Eeek:

And very pleased:clap2:
We have found , when the gauge drops to empty you have half a cylinder left(y):)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brilliant if right, do you have 2 bottles? we have to swap over when empty but can go many weeks on 13kg as well, even off site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Currently in Port Grimaud, South of France. Filled my under slung tank before leaving Yorkshire. We have been touring for two weeks now, fridge permanently on gas as it works best, lots of cooking and still showing three quarters of a tank. It is also a lot cheaper than buying bottled gas. It has also been used to heat the hot water for showering very regularly. We leave tomorrow for the Alps for a week or so. Then up to the Somme area . After that back under the tunnel and turn left. New forest etc before heading back North around the beginning of Sept. would buy bottled gas and why?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We have found , when the gauge drops to empty you have half a cylinder left(y):)
That explains it :rolleyes:
Tried filling an "empty" cylinder... First three litres whooshed in, then I seemed to be hanging on that button for ages as it seeped in the next three until it stopped at £3.90 worth... Half what I expected, and gauge seemed to reflect this, showing half full immediately after filling...
However, when I pitched up here at Newbury, the gauge showed full (y).
So three weeks away in June, even using a bit of heating, it seems I only managed half a 6kg cylinder!

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Brilliant if right, do you have 2 bottles? we have to swap over when empty but can go many weeks on 13kg as well, even off site

I've got one 13k and a change over valve to an ordinary 6k calor for backup.....

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've put £14 ( @ 70p per ltr ) into my 18kg cylinder when we set of on Monday , not been on an ehu yet so gas used for large full size fridge 100% of time , with hot water and showers , will post when either gas or 2 weeks is up .. whatever is 1st :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've put £14 ( @ 70p per ltr ) into my 18kg cylinder when we set of on Monday ,
Goodness me! That's pretty expensive these days. My local supplier is 45p per ltr but I filled up whilst in Luxembourg @ 32p per litre.
Is that an underslung cylinder as I thought that 11kg was the maximum in refillable (Gaslow/Gas it/bugger it).

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have 2 bottles and when one says its empty it carries on for the next few weeks-magic!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've put £14 ( @ 70p per ltr ) into my 18kg cylinder when we set of on Monday , not been on an ehu yet so gas used for large full size fridge 100% of time , with hot water and showers , will post when either gas or 2 weeks is up .. whatever is 1st :)
The last reply was rather mixed up.
Is the 18kg an underslung cylinder/tank as I thought 11kg was maximum. Our local supplier is £0.45 but filled up in Luxembourg at £0.32 (£ not €}}

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@EX51SSS
Actually now u mention it . It was advertised in the fill lpg app as 69.9 but when I went to put some gas into it to test the system it was 63.9 even at that it was dear enough :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I had two 11kg Alugas bottles fitted on the 12th July and left Autogas2000 with approx 44ltrs of LPG...

I swapped bottles on 31st July when 1st bottle was showing reserve....

I refilled on 5th August at Ceanby Corner and managed to get 20.81Ltrs @ 0.59p/ltr (£12.47) back in...

So In 24 days I was using just under a ltr per day... (0.86ltrs)

This was with no EHU...
Fridge/freezer (Domestic RMD-8555) perm on Gas...
Hot water boiler (Truma Combi 6 {E} ) left on a lot; often overnight - because I kept forgetting to turn it off once it reached temperature !!
Boiling kettle often - for lots of tea...
Using 2 rings on the 3 ring hob twice per day for breakfast and evening meal etc... With some stuff (spitty or smelly) cooked outside on camping stove.

I expect I will use less when I get into the habit of turning Combi off - perhaps I should use the timer facility!?... Lol

John T

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This has got me thinking on what size bottle I've got...? Think I better go and check...(n)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Two 11kg Gaslow bottles and the World is your oyster........

Hook up? Isn't that something to do with Peter Pan and a Pirate?

Pilote Gaslow Double.jpg

Note - filler in cabinet - never had trouble filling up at home or abroad.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it does seem to me that some use that little gas ,having refillable is a very costly item .
i can see the gain if you use alot . but seems many will never even get the cost back never mind save a shilling.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Ok, I couldn't find the kg but the paperwork said 26.50 litres volume so I'm guessing it's a 11k the calor next to it is a 6k.

Anyone know how much it would be to get another Gaslow cylinder put on..?
image.jpeg

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
it does seem to me that some use that little gas ,having refillable is a very costly item .
i can see the gain if you use alot . but seems many will never even get the cost back never mind save a shilling.

I reckon I will :) .... That 20ltrs of LPG for £12.50 would have cost me circa £40 for two exchange 6kg bottles... (y)

John T

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes the smaller the bottle the higher the cost of exchange .
i get a flogas 19kg for 28,88 pound .
mind as i spend winter in spain or morocco. a 12kg is about 12 quid in spain and about 4 in morocco.
unfortunately i know many m,homes only have small lockers .
it was just reading the above posts many wont get the cost back before the date on the bottles expire .
i know some that use ehu on campsites and only use 2bottles a year. thats 11lk refillable . never worth it in my mind .

Ashley F

Funster
Jul 26, 2016
Redcar
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2 years
we have two 6kg bottles, one turned off and full and the other we have been willing to run out.... used it for nearly 3 weeks and most of that time saying it is empty... but it just keeps on running. Being relatively new to motorhoming I was wary initially of how long the gas would last (thinking of everything in the fridge being wasted) but I am thrilled with the system and especially at how cheap this is to fill. Will definitely make the money back on the 2nd bottle we recently installed I reckon. (y)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Mine came with the van so it's a big saving for me....(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
we have two 6kg bottles, one turned off and full and the other we have been willing to run out.... used it for nearly 3 weeks and most of that time saying it is empty... but it just keeps on running. Being relatively new to motorhoming I was wary initially of how long the gas would last (thinking of everything in the fridge being wasted) but I am thrilled with the system and especially at how cheap this is to fill. Will definitely make the money back on the 2nd bottle we recently installed I reckon. (y)
We too have two 6kg bottles. When off hook-up and with the fridge on 24/7 we find we average 14 days per bottle or almost a month on the two.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
A system is worth its weight in gold for convienence, no howfing heavy cylinders and just refill when it suits..........no need to run the tank to empty and then find a supplier.
I wouldn't be without mine.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We had a large Alugas cylinder fitted after we bought our van in 2007, I did some quick calculations and we recovered the cost in the first year. We do use a bit more gas than some, we very rarely go on to a site preferring DA meets etc. The boiler is gas only and no microwave. Now having a little worry that the cylinder may need replacing/testing. Anyone know what the lifetime of Alugas cylinders are?.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
A system is worth its weight in gold for convienence, no howfing heavy cylinders and just refill when it suits..........no need to run the tank to empty and then find a supplier.
I wouldn't be without mine.
but in spain its cheaper to exchange ,in morocco there isnt auto gas.
mind i know what you mean . but it also depends how far the auto gas places are away. .i,m lucky i have a flogas depot at end of road and a service staion a bit further away with auto gas but dont use them . in fact i can make a spanish bottle and whats left of my flogas last all summer . just exchange before going away so i use 1 flogas and about 5 spanish in a year. maybe 6 spanish .
mind i am away 6 months . i find here and away the flogas depot or spanish garages will lift the bottles in or out if you ask or need them to. i dont but have been with older folk that do it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
To be fair, it took me about 3-4 years to decide to justify the cost. I decided to go ahead and I'm so glad I did. I had a couple of calorlite 6kg and a couple of 11kg BP lite. I used to take one of each away. The BP lite was cheaper to replace by volume and also I had been given them from gas agents who'd got them but didn't deal with BP. After having my Gaslow fitted (and it was the same price 4 years later), I sold 2 BP lite bottles, 2 calorlite bottles and 2 generic bottles (something like Cheshire gas or timbuktu gas) and got over £120 so knocking that off the investment, plus my fill ups, I reckon if push comes to shove, it'll still be a few years to get my money back per se but the cost is long gone but the CONVENIENCE remains, as does the low cost of refills. Personally IMHO, I am elated that I chose Gaslow cylinders (other makes are available) over solar panels that would have made MY particular moho look weird.
I say, if you can afford it and have the space, you'll never regret the investment and the advantage being that if you change Moho's, then they can be transferred.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's not always about the cost of installing but the convenience of having it, usually if you can afford an expensive Motorhome £400 is nothing compared to the cost of the van.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
To be fair, it took me about 3-4 years to decide to justify the cost. I decided to go ahead and I'm so glad I did. I had a couple of calorlite 6kg and a couple of 11kg BP lite. I used to take one of each away. The BP lite was cheaper to replace by volume and also I had been given them from gas agents who'd got them but didn't deal with BP. After having my Gaslow fitted (and it was the same price 4 years later), I sold 2 BP lite bottles, 2 calorlite bottles and 2 generic bottles (something like Cheshire gas or timbuktu gas) and got over £120 so knocking that off the investment, plus my fill ups, I reckon if push comes to shove, it'll still be a few years to get my money back per se but the cost is long gone but the CONVENIENCE remains, as does the low cost of refills. Personally IMHO, I am elated that I chose Gaslow cylinders (other makes are available) over solar panels that would have made MY particular moho look weird.
I say, if you can afford it and have the space, you'll never regret the investment and the advantage being that if you change Moho's, then they can be transferred.
I dont use a lot of gas at the moment as just starting out.I carry 2x 6kg Calor but went to the show at Malvern yesterday and bit the bullet and bought a Gasit 6kg set up for £150 plus £22 for the 3 "foreign" adaptors .I shall carry a Calor 6kg on a changeover valve as well just in case.Probably would have managed without but peace of mind when I go touring abroard and now I have Solar as well I am self sufficient!!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I dont use a lot of gas at the moment as just starting out.I carry 2x 6kg Calor but went to the show at Malvern yesterday and bit the bullet and bought a Gasit 6kg set up for £150 plus £22 for the 3 "foreign" adaptors .I shall carry a Calor 6kg on a changeover valve as well just in case.Probably would have managed without but peace of mind when I go touring abroard and now I have Solar as well I am self sufficient!!!!
When you have fitted the Gasit, sell the calor bottles on eBay. It saves people putting a deposit on them and it's a reducing amount over a period of years so if you put a deposit down you will get nowt back a few years later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back