Baptism of fire.....completed. (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Well we made it back after just over 3 weeks and 3000 miles, us in one piece, and the van, well, you might or might not know....with slight modifications.:D
It really was a baptism of fire, but I'm so glad we did it, and as so many said Europe really does cater brilliantly for Motorhomes.

After 'Bridgegate' any plans of routes to be taken, along with the satnav, went out the window. It was maps & google maps after that.
After Roen we carried on down towards Tarbes, via Limoges, Perigueux, Agen & Auch. From there East via Foix, Perpignan, and then into spain via Figueres, Girona and on to Blaines for some sun, sea & sand (and severe sunburn for Terry) :) We just happened to be in Blanes when they have their annual Firework competition and the display we watched on the beach with thousands of others, was phenomenal!
After Blanes we headed West along the spanish pyrenees via Lleida, Heusca, Pamplona, Sans Sebastian and into Spain via Irun. Then worked our way south again along the beautiful West coast up to Bordeaux then East of paris (avoiding Roen (y) ) to calais.

We tried to avoid toll roads as much as possible which meant driving through many lovely villages, but we also decided to avoided bigger towns with the ring roads. Despite 'Bridgegate' I carried on with all the driving and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially through the pyrenees and the narrow village roads.

Some of the highlights for me were the Great Dune of Pyla, Troyes, wild camping alongside an amazing Lake in Sigues, Spain, and another, near Eguzon, in France and the beautiful scenery at every turned corner.

Would I do it again......in a heartbeat. It's left me wanting more, more, more. :):)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Nice one , we always enjoy our trips over, change of scenery and culture is great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well we made it back after just over 3 weeks and 3000 miles, us in one piece, and the van, well, you might or might not know....with slight modifications.:D
It really was a baptism of fire, but I'm so glad we did it, and as so many said Europe really does cater brilliantly for Motorhomes.

After 'Bridgegate' any plans of routes to be taken, along with the satnav, went out the window. It was maps & google maps after that.
After Roen we carried on down towards Tarbes, via Limoges, Perigueux, Agen & Auch. From there East via Foix, Perpignan, and then into spain via Figueres, Girona and on to Blaines for some sun, sea & sand (and severe sunburn for Terry) :) We just happened to be in Blanes when they have their annual Firework competition and the display we watched on the beach with thousands of others, was phenomenal!
After Blanes we headed West along the spanish pyrenees via Lleida, Heusca, Pamplona, Sans Sebastian and into Spain via Irun. Then worked our way south again along the beautiful West coast up to Bordeaux then East of paris (avoiding Roen (y) ) to calais.

We tried to avoid toll roads as much as possible which meant driving through many lovely villages, but we also decided to avoided bigger towns with the ring roads. Despite 'Bridgegate' I carried on with all the driving and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially through the pyrenees and the narrow village roads.

Some of the highlights for me were the Great Dune of Pyla, Troyes, wild camping alongside an amazing Lake in Sigues, Spain, and another, near Eguzon, in France and the beautiful scenery at every turned corner.

Would I do it again......in a heartbeat. It's left me wanting more, more, more. :):)
Hurrah and welcome back so glad you are safe!
So glad you had a great trip ( apart from that bridge!) is the van in for repair?
We've just got back after 2 weeks and wish we could go off again!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome back and well done for being so resilient. Proper British Bulldog stuff. Just need the French to implement EU Regulation 119.56D on the minimum height of bridges now .... but you can't have everything. :)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hurrah and welcome back so glad you are safe!
So glad you had a great trip ( apart from that bridge!) is the van in for repair?
We've just got back after 2 weeks and wish we could go off again!!

Hi Anthea, Taking the van in on monday for them to take a look at and give the dreaded quote.
Wasn't using the internet too much whilst away, but I did see that you were in France. Hope your break was a bit more restful & uneventful than ours. :) Really appreciated yours and everyones advice while we were away...Thanks. :)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds fantastic. We're off 22nd August, at first heading for Thonon les Bains on Lake Geneva for 10 days (meeting up with daughter who is going to a wedding in Lausanne). Any inside info on the area welcome.
Thereafter no idea, tunnel back booked for 6th October.
OP has me champing at the bit to get going. (y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sounds like you had a great time (apart from your mishap). Are you planning the next trip yet?

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
The plan in France was to do lots of canoeing but every river we stopped at was more suited to white water stuff, lots of weirs etc. That side of it will need better planning next time. soooo, depending on the repairs timescale we and as we've covered every inch of the broads already, we thought we might just go around the Cambridge area to get some canoeing in. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back