Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
hi all
We have a 2012 Hymer with a Project 2000 factory fitted electric step. The step will return with no problems on the switch but it won't extend out on it. I can pull the step out manually without any real effort so it's not jammed but it just will notnextend out on the switch. I have checked the wiring and all seems to be in order so any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated thanks.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Is it a scissor type rather than slide out. If so mind your fingers! With scissor type there is a plunger switch on the step mechanism. It is likely it has failed as it collects muck n grime n water. If same as mine it is a car courtesy light switch. Intermotor 51840, google it or switch 51840 for pics to see it it is the same. It is simply a make/ break switch so can be tested with a multimeter. 2nd posting today re step switch. Above info gained fitting replacement switch to our 2013 hymer. Note rubber boot probably will not be included with replacement switch. Good luck.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
This switch seems to be working ok. I can't get in to test if the motor is getting power as its all sealed. Would anyone know if there is a relay or something to control the step and, if so, where Hymer might have hidden it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This switch seems to be working ok. I can't get in to test if the motor is getting power as its all sealed. Would anyone know if there is a relay or something to control the step and, if so, where Hymer might have hidden it?

My Hymer step switch has two relays mounted on the back of the switch on a PCB . I had to replace mine for the same fault.. it's not cheap..

have a look and see if yours is the same..

https://caravan-parts.store.buegle....c-step-and-light-toggle-switch-/?k=:::6615098

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you have a second switch on the dash, we do on our Hymer, does that one work?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Our Project 2000 step seemed to work just off microswitch changeovers but I guess there must have been a relay somewhere. However, I did have a problem similar to yours which turned out to be a broken split pin/roll pin in the connection from the motor spindle. I think it's probably meant as a shear pin. Anyway, it worked one way and not the other. Failing that, it could be one of your microswitches isn't being pushed enough to contact. However, the fact you can move the step by hand, I would guess the shear pin. I had to take the box cover off which hides the motor and the coupling was just on the motor spindle.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Our Project 2000 step seemed to work just off microswitch changeovers but I guess there must have been a relay somewhere. However, I did have a problem similar to yours which turned out to be a broken split pin/roll pin in the connection from the motor spindle. I think it's probably meant as a shear pin. Anyway, it worked one way and not the other. Failing that, it could be one of your microswitches isn't being pushed enough to contact. However, the fact you can move the step by hand, I would guess the shear pin. I had to take the box cover off which hides the motor and the coupling was just on the motor spindle.

I would have thought I would hear the motor turning but there is nothing. I will try and get the cover off and have look but it's very difficult to get to.

I still suspect a relay as I seem to be getting odd readings on the switch but the switch itself is ok

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I would have thought I would hear the motor turning but there is nothing. I will try and get the cover off and have look but it's very difficult to get to.

I still suspect a relay as I seem to be getting odd readings on the switch but the switch itself is ok

Another thought, if the step appears to retract ok but not extend, maybe the "home" microswitch isn't connecting correctly to change over? This would mean any relay isn't being de/energised ready to work the step in the other direction. The microswitches on my step were on the sides of the frame and could be adjusted easily with the step extended (between the treads of the step) so may not be too much of a job to check.

I would have thought that the torque/gearing on the step motor would prevent you moving it by hand but not impossible I guess. ( This is why I thought the shear pin might be damaged. )

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I can only find one micro switch, the one in the center under the step which closes when the step closes. I have had this one out and checked it and it seems ok.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Is there one on the right hand side of the frame holding the steps (looking from outside the motorhome)? I think it was inbetween step 1 and 2 - presuming you have a two step model and it's the same as ours :)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Ahh, probably exhausted my uselessness now then :) Good luck with pin pointing the problem.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I've just had another look and I can only see the one switch so I don't know how it knows when it's fully extended.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I should think there is another microswitch somewhere, possibly on a "flat" on one of the gears/cogs. Or behind the step assembly (which would require getting under the van to look at the back of the step). Anyway, best of luck with it. Maybe someone along this evening who has more experience on the subject.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Now I'm totally confused - this afternoon it suddenly started working again yet I did nothing to it. Tried it just now and it won't extend again. Pull it out manually and press the switch and in it goes !!!

costa latte

Free Member
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504CL
Exp
since 2017
Hi Oldwomble, I'm having a similar problem to the one you describe in this thread. Did you manage to solve the problem?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back