family turned away from campsite (1 Viewer)

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
seen this on another forum but m/h related and a twist in the tail :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Link Removed then look at this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: who sells them :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:Link Removed

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
to try and filter out travellers by banning certain types of vehicles is ridiculous. Should be done for discrimination.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The family were told by the park’s manager, Nicola McCormack, that their vehicle was banned because a large number were owned by travelling people.

and an even bigger number arent :Angry:

They say they were told privacy was also an issue because the Hobby’s door is on the opposite side from other popular models.

arent 99% of continental van doors on the "wrong" side :Angry:

the park did not allow Quest or Talbot vans on site either.

I'm sure the majority of these vans are pik.....travellers prefered caravans

Red Lion Holiday Park refused to make any further comment yesterday.

I bet they refused......blinkered jobsworths.:Angry:

wrong attitude and one site i wont be visiting anytime soon:Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Let someone find the website of this park so we can bombard them with e-mails !!..:thumb:

here you are steve.....fill yer boots mate. :thumb:

Link Removed

and this is the parent companies website......

Perthshire Caravan Company

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and an awful lot of travellers are using single axle vans these days because they are nearly as long as a twin, but i didnt know they had moved their attention into motorhomes- i havent seen any with one, and a lot of sites will not allow comercial vehicles towing vans for the same reason and i know quite a few of the dog-show folk that use transit or similar for transporting their dogs around so they can be safely caged during travel.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I don't think that many travellers have motor caravans anyway, mainly the standard style as they need the towing vehicle to carry out their private work such as tarmacing etc.

I think this is disgusting, to treat a family in this manner.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We visited tewksbury CC site about 2 years ago when we were tuggers
I was towing with my very smart Renult Traffic company van

The warden say,s ' Is that your van out there, with all those signs stuck all over it !
We wont be having them in here much longer, why can,t you tow with a car like other people !

Without giving him a reply, I immediatly rang the caravan club from the site office on my mobile and in front of him asked for the CC rules on towing with a sign written van.
I then offered my phone to the warden to listen to the reply
He refused to take it and stormed off in a huff

A very nice lady warden then dealt with my booking, muttering 'He gets like this sometimes'

Fawlty Towers or what !
If you want to see my van go to www.superkey.co.uk

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Seems a bit daft to me. Maybe the site owner has no interest and enjoys losing money?

Just a thought here....does a road run past this site? If so, there is nothing in law to stop a disgruntled motorhome owner plastering his van with approropriate signs indicating the unwelcoming nature of the site.

I saw this done by a guy who had bought a top model Range Rover from a Garage and had nothing but trouble with it and the Garage dealer. So he covered it in decals detailing all the faults and parked it right outside the Dealer. They couldn't move it as it was legally parked up on the road. I think they quickly settled the dispute with him!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Many UK sites do not allow commercial vehicles. It is quite normal.

Very many " travellers " throughout the UK and Europe are now using motorhomes instead

of caravans.

It is quite normal ( although illegal ) for site owners to discourage patronage by " travellers"

and I expect most posters on here are quite happy with that !

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I was refused a stay on a Camp Site in Holland because my van is a tag axle,it stated in the camping book that twin axle caravans weren't allowed, but it also applied to Motorhomes. the receptionist told me of a nearby site which turned out to be better and cheaper, some you win some you loose.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We all should remember this site & avoid it. Someone should keep a list of such sites. :winky:

I can understand some people not wanting certain types of travellers or commercial vehicles but not by banning a make of MH, that's daft. :Doh:

We spent a few days on a site in Cornwall that had a few tuggers that worked from the site as tree cutters with commercial vans. Apart from noisy kids they weren't too much problem but the vans did make the site look untidy.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Can they ban travellers from the site??????? Surely thats discrimination :RollEyes:

Can understand why these sites don't want them, we took a cheap break at a Haven site(£3 a night with hook up) last year. A couple of motorhomes who from there behaviour soon made it obvious they were travellers (rubbish chucked out of the door, kids going to the toilet on the grass, the older ones coming back to the van with stuff they must have nicked as they just threw some of it away after they got bored) parked nex to us. We went & told the reception that we were moving to another pitch & why. She was sympathetic but said unless they could catch them doing something wrong they wouldn't get thrown off.
Also had problems with some of these families in Germany using the stelplatz areas & again in Spain.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
No wonder we are often taken for "travellers"

Its the motorhome type obviously.

I think its totally disgraceful

I hope they sue

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I noticed in the article that one of the stated items for refusal was that their door was on the wrong side? but if you look in their Motorhomes for sale section they are selling vans with the door on the wrong side ??????????????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Wrong kind of van

I am led to believe that 'travellers' have discovered that different parking laws apply to caravans than to motorhomes, and it gives them more parking scope with a m/h.

S.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am led to believe that 'travellers' have discovered that different parking laws apply to caravans than to motorhomes, and it gives them more parking scope with a m/h.

S.
Yes, but what do they do with the tarmac truck, A frame it behind the motorhome mabe.::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If this sites way of identifying travellers is to assume that they will arrive in a Hobby, well on this occasion I think that they are probably right. I’m not an expert but they do have a few resemblances other than their hobby,
This is not a new discrimination, with caravans it is easy you just put a max width restriction. With motor homes it is more personal.
How do they get away with it, if they were to discriminate against gays or race then there would be an outcry so why travellers. Travellers are families, they need holidays the same as the rest of us. I think that Hobby as a manufacture should lobby Europe to get this badge discrimination lifted asap.
Buttons

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
. Travellers are families, they need holidays the same as the rest of us.
Buttons

They are on permanent holiday, on money conned or stolen from pensioners and anyone foolish enough too trust them. Doncaster has more Travellers than most areas and if you shake hands with one you need to count your fingers afterwards .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I noticed in the article that one of the stated items for refusal was that their door was on the wrong side? but if you look in their Motorhomes for sale section they are selling vans with the door on the wrong side ??????????????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

selling them's one thing, cluttering up there pretty caravan park with 'em is another:RollEyes:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't think they are the only campsite that has what appears to be an exclusion list of makes.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
on my travels around our great country i have seen rv,s and 5ers on traverlers sites aswell as other motorhomes.there were alot on the site in blackpool and alot on site between 24 and 25 northbound m1 nottingham.muz

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
They are on permanent holiday, on money conned or stolen from pensioners and anyone foolish enough too trust them. Doncaster has more Travellers than most areas and if you shake hands with one you need to count your fingers afterwards .
Maybe it is not surprising if there are people around willing to say this sort of nonsense. There will always be the few gullible ones who believe it:Angry:
Sorry, Geoff587, but that is just not fair or called for and it causes the myths to grow - and yes they are myths. Have a look at what people who have taken the time and trouble to seek out the truth and you will see that travellers are no more dishonest than the rest of us.

Please don't make other peoples lives needlessly difficult like that::bigsmile:
Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back