Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If you are in Portugal,be advised not to play Johnny Cash's.."Ring of Fire" We are safe where we are,but the surrounding hills have fires burning on them,sad news for those nearest the areas,but for me... We are on a flight path from the lake to the hills,so i am having a super air display,a Helio-co'peter has just flown over the top of the house,from end to end,went out on the balcony to have a look,looked up,and i was staring at a fully laden water scoop......... The thought of it becoming detached flashed through my mind,my bottom went "Half a crown-sixpence" for a few seconds,then the H/co'peter was gone to do its job.
On a serious note,beware if near burning Eucalyptus trees, i was told,that when they burn,the outer skin/bark is very tough,so the inside boils and then it explodes,sending splinters/lumps of wood in all directions. Is it true ?........ After you in finding out,i will be gone.
Tea Bag

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Caused by wild campers trying to cook Fraybentos pies in embers !

Or so the rumour starts

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are near Oliveira do Hospital, thankfully nothing around us now, but the last three days lots of smoke hovering.

Bl**dy hot though, not surprised there are fires around.

It wouldn't have been started by the Frey Bentos pie eater, unless a spark found it's way from France.

Oh for some cooler weather.

Nigel and Pamala

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
They have had wild forest fires almost every year since I have been in Portugal.

Last year the flames got to within a kilometre of QMJ.

As far as I can tell it is the undergrowth and all the dead leaves that burn the most. I am (slowly) clearing the ground under my trees.

I am always amazed how quickly everything recovers...

JJ :cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It wouldn't have been started by the Frey Bentos pie eater, unless a spark found it's way from France.

Thanks for putting me in the clear!

Will be heading your way in a couple of weeks... do you need me to bring you anything from France?

How are you off for lettuces?

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The Fray Bentos pies have all gone,but,i have a tin of Sainsburys Corned Beef and a tin of Sainsburys Premium Ham left,i guard them with my life.
We come back on the 6th Sept,to replenish supplies,so be warned of shortages in your area,the beauty of the F-B Pies,is the fact that you can weld them onto the wheels and pretend they are "Wheel trims",another little known fact is,that after crossing the Pyreneese and coasting down into Spain in "Aberdeen Booster" (Neutral) these pies are piping hot and ready to eat.... How good is that....So,chuck your crok pot Ramuska? whatevers out,so yesteray...
"What dear ?".......... "NO! Fray Bentos.......Not B****y face book"
Tea Bag

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thanks for putting me in the clear!

Will be heading your way in a couple of weeks... do you need me to bring you anything from France?

How are you off for lettuces?

Nothing needed from France, thankyou. Your space has been kept for you. Please bring some cooler weather with you.

Enjoy your trip away with Frankie. Will make you a salad when you get here if the lettuces are ready.

See you soon.

Nigel and Pamala

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just heard on the news of big fires in France too. Marseilles I believe, said they were evacuating residents as the fires approached homes

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Forest fires are part of nature's cycle - only ever an issue if us pesky humans build in fire risk areas...
...bit like being surprised when homes built on flood plains get - flooded.
:rolleyes:.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
locally we get heath fires every year and no coincidence they always break out in the school holidays

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back