Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Some photos of my trip so far following the route known as the wild Atlantic way..
Started off at the most northerly point on malin head.. and down in Co kerry now..
Slieve league..Some of the highest sea cliffs in Europe.
20160804_172034.jpg

Five finger strand with again some of the largest sand dunes in Europe.
20160725_201906.jpg

Kinnego bay where you can find a few lovely minature sea shells..
20160725_132851.jpg
20160725_155740.jpg

The cliffs of moher in Co calre.
20160808_150618.jpg

Doolin cave with the largest free hanging stalactite that can be seen anywhere in the world.. and a remarkable tale of its discovery in 1952...around 30ft I think..
20160809_123002.jpg

Hopefully some more to follow..
Andy.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for posting pics, I love Ireland and have not been for a few years. Used to go every year surfing on the west coast. Great place great peaple, great times. Will go back soon. Have a good trip and keep the photos coming

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Great photos, looks like a trip we would enjoy.. thanks for posting ..

If you can post the places you camped that would be very useful..

tia
I'll have a think tonight when I get a map out and try and remember the stops... I've been on the road for around 3wks and will have to look back through photos as I've forgotten where half the spots were... its all wild spots with the exception of two sites...
Andy

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Great photos Andy, hopefully meet up in the near future
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Gods Country.
Great photos, looks like a trip we would enjoy.. thanks for posting ..

If you can post the places you camped that would be very useful..

tia
Not a detailed list and no Co ordinates but he's most of the stop overs..
1. Castlerock.. sea front car park... N Ireland
2. Car park at the back of Stroove beach.. Co. Done gal.
3. Back of Trawbreaga bay on open grass
4. A view point above 5 finger strand just off the r242 road
5. Buncrana harbour...but there is also a mh aire just behind the tourist information office... think its 5 euro for electric...pay at the garage opposite.. didn't see any waste dump facilities..
6. Done gal town in car park by pier.. free from 180o to 0900 hrs.. or get a ticket.. only 2.7 euro for day.
7. Belmullet harbour car park.
8. Inch strand.. just on beach.. (loved this one.. )
Early morning jog and a dip..
9. Ross behy. . In a disused pub car park just above the beach..
10. Castletownbere. On the Beara peninsular. ..lay by onr571 just before entering town or again car park by port /harbour,but that was busy..

Two campsites.. Both excellent..
1.quigleys point .. Co donegal
2. Doolin Co. Clare. . There's two sites in village.. One by harbour.. One in centre of village..

As I've travelled south I've found nightly park ups in the nicer spots harder to find... A lot of low barriers preventing mh access..
That's it for now..
Andy.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks good Andy, how would you compare Ireland to the Western Isles, we are planning Ireland at some point particularly the Atlantic coast

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Looks good Andy, how would you compare Ireland to the Western Isles, we are planning Ireland at some point particularly the Atlantic coast
Difficult to comment but ill try ..
The western Isles was a must do and I enjoyed it.. I prefered the southern islands and Harris. . Its coast line was beautiful and you felt remote .. Nothing like as busy as Ireland even though it hasn't been too bad.. I think anyone will find some of the roads in Ireland more of a challenge than say Scotland or the islands...
Especially in larger motor homes. .
In Ireland you will have far more options to entertain you..
If you plan to stick just to the wild Atlantic way (which I have to say is brilliantly signed all the way ) and do it all give yourself a couple weeks at least.. I've been on it for a good 3 weeks and still missed loads... And if you do come over don't forget the coastline round Antrim and derry in N Ireland as well..
I have to say I've enjoyed the donegal area the most and now coming to the end of this trip I'd say that if I had to miss an area out it would be the area I'm in now...ie the Beara peninsula. .. Just below the famous ring of kerry..
So in a nutshell... Ireland has much more to offer with many more options... The roads are trickier especially in the busy period,been narrow with limited viability, ie high hedgerows etc... But then most folk are not in a hurry :).
Andy..

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One other thing that may be of use..
The tourist information offices do a great range of books covering the wild Atlantic way.. They are free ,comprehensive and we'll worth picking up before you start...
Andy..

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
And one or two more...
Downpatrick head.
20160806_145721.jpg
20160806_145721.jpg

Had to go have a look at this... and a little chuckle when I got there.
20160807_154543.jpg
View attachment 1
20160808_114624.jpg

Donkeys at ballyvaughn harbour.. they seemed to know when the tide was filling and it was time to leave ..
20160807_185319.jpg

A lovely bay on the road out to mizen head.
20160813_162220.jpg

And one or two from mizen head.. was able to spend an hour watching dolphin's with the binoculars, and a view of the fastnest light with information on its construction..
20160813_141059.jpg
20160813_145611.jpg

Sorry about the duplication... not a clue why..

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Andy did you get your Motor home down to the car park in Kinnego Bay? I have a house a couple of miles from Strove. As for the aire in Buncrana. It's a bit tight if you are over 6mtrs.

Sonja

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy did you get your Motor home down to the car park in Kinnego Bay? I have a house a couple of miles from Strove. As for the aire in Buncrana. It's a bit tight if you are over 6mtrs.

Sonja
Hi Sonia. . That's a lovely location for a house..
Stayed in the car park at the back of strove beach and found another spot with a lovely view up a fairly steep lane close to the beach.. I'm in that area quite often now as I go kayaking in moville every time I visit..
Yea I took my mh ( it's 7m ) down into the car park in kinnego bay.. I know what you mean though it's steep and tight with a sharp bend.. easy enough though if you don't meet anything....:)
There was a small caravan down there when I got down.
I didn't use the aire in buncrana but yep it didn't look that roomy..
Andy. .

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not on the wild Atlantic way but the antrim coast this time
Fair head from Ballycastle sea front.
20160821_122738.jpg

Torr head with the mull of kintyre in the distance.. could also see ails Craig and visibility wasn't great.. Scotland is so close ato this point.

20160821_140624.jpg

This fellow greets you as you enter Cushendun. .
20160821_152825.jpg

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We are hoping to do a six week trip to Eire and NI in 2017 :)
6 weeks is good but you will need it all..
I know the miles have to be put in at some point but I don't like long journeys every day..
I mentioned earlier about the excellent books available from the tourist informationon on the wild Atlantic way.. a must before you start. They cover from muff in donegal to the old head of kinsale in Cork. .
If I'm across at the same time I'll join you for some more of it..
Andy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We will also be spending time at a place in Tyrone - family history stuff...... the daughter of some very good friends of ours has just married an Irishman. We met up with the in-laws only to discover we are connected via Martin's Great-Grandfather who came from the same village where they farm - possibly on the same land. Small world.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Brilliant photos, many thanks to all.
This is definately going on my list of places to visit!!!

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
spending time at a place in Tyrone - family history stuff
I spent my schooldays at Dungannon and used to stay at a friends near Coalisland. ...
There's a little rhyme about Tyrone folk:)
''' Tyrone born,Tyrone bread, strong in the arm ,thick in the head '''

So you have family connections with Tyrone area...lol..
Andy

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
We just did the Wild Atlantic Way - simply stayed on beaches, harbours and nearly always a place at a beach to empty loo and refill fresh water - just remember your watering can;-) The few camp sites there are are £25 a night so expensive. On way back pop in to Cushelle - FAB town and history (castle, monestry) with a lovely camp site we stayed on for our last night.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
If anyone is considering coming to Ireland that hasn't been before here are a few tips;
The coastline especially along the Wild Atlantic Way is very much like the most scenic bits of Devon and Cornwall with 10% of the traffic and 10% of the people.
Very few of the locals rush in fact most are quite horizontal.
Guinness is rarely served in less than 2 minutes and a good pint can take 5. The people in Ireland genuinely value tourists and you'll invariably get a warm welcome and help if you need it. The music in the pubs is great but tends to start late. Wild camping and staying alongside businesses is more than possible and it is generally obvious where you can't wild camp.
There is lots to see and visit inland it's not just about the coast.
In the south houses and businesses pay for rubbish disposal it is not included in an equivalent of council tax. So there are less litter bins but plenty of bottle and can banks.
I don't agree that campsites are all expensive atleast no more so than the UK.
The roads here are not a series of potholes and deformed Tarmac in the main I would say they are better than the uk. There are less motorways and dual carriageways. Watch out for L (local) Roads they can be very narrow and grass growing in the middle should be a warning that your SATNAV might have got it wrong.
It does rain but there are also some fantastic sunrises and sunsets. The ferries to get here are disproportionately expensive compared to crossing to mainland Europe so come for a longer time to get your monies worth.
Come to Ireland and Enjoy the Craic.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I spent my schooldays at Dungannon and used to stay at a friends near Coalisland. ...
There's a little rhyme about Tyrone folk:)
''' Tyrone born,Tyrone bread, strong in the arm ,thick in the head '''

So you have family connections with Tyrone area...lol..
Andy

LOL

Martin's Great-Grandad .......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back