September in Cornwall or Scotland (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We've got the month of September free to either go to Cornwall (original plan) or head north and visit Skye and tour Scotland. We've been to cornwall a few times in our pre MH days so know it fairly well. Only been to Scotland once around the Crainlarich area and thought it was really nice apart from the midges! Would appreciate any thoughts from the experienced funsters on pros and cons of both from a MH perspective in September. We live in Lancs so both are a fair drive. Thanks all.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Scotland is stunning and definitely worth a trip, gets my vote over Cornwall if only because of the traffic you may well encounter getting there and back from your part of the country.
Spud

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well cornwall in september can be the place to be schools have gone back and local shops etc are looking to get rid of stock . free parking is every where . but avoid cornwall county car parks . its quiet but can be ideal. in summer wilding is hard but september its easy. mind hand over your money or your women is still the cornish way.
bring back highway men etc .
but quote mebyon kernow and you will be ok .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
For the best chance of good weather I would choose Cornwall. Scottish scenery is stunning but the weather is hit or miss. Best time to visit is May/June.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
one of my best mates lives in fort willliam so i get weather reports almost every day.
cornwall isnt perfect but i,m glasd i live here.
is it time yet is his telephone first speech almost every day.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Scottish scenery is stunning but the weather is hit or miss. Best time to visit is May/June.
I have to disagree there. In September the midges will have gone and also we get some really nice weather up here in September, clear air, nice empty roads coupled with stunning scenery.

We are going to Scotland the end of September , beginning of October. Can't wait. We are doing Ralph's , well planned North Coast 500 trip.
Remember that if you want a FREE overnight stop you are welcome to use the car park at the Tarbat Discovery Centre. We also have FREE Wi-Fi for visitors to the museum. :)

We get quite a few motor homers who are doing the NC500.

KH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all for your advice and kind offer to overnight. Have to say the drive up to and around Scotland is much more appealing than the nightmare drive down south. Also we've been to Cornwall when the mizzle has hung around for days on end in the past - not great! If the midges have had their summer feast and left the west coast that's a bonus too. I think we'll call it nearer the time based on the weather forecasts for both. I'm leaning to Scotland at the moment - my other half still favours Cornwall!

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
If we go up to Scotland, we usually choose September as the midges have usually gone by then but you can still get some amazing weather (amazingly good or amazingly bad). It can be surprisingly busy in popular places as I think a lot of people go at this time for the same reasons.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for your advice and kind offer to overnight. Have to say the drive up to and around Scotland is much more appealing than the nightmare drive down south. Also we've been to Cornwall when the mizzle has hung around for days on end in the past - not great! If the midges have had their summer feast and left the west coast that's a bonus too. I think we'll call it nearer the time based on the weather forecasts for both. I'm leaning to Scotland at the moment - my other half still favours Cornwall!
Cornwall it is then!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Got to be Scotland - but I'm biased...
Roads will be quiet, midges gone...
Clear skies (maybe), Fresh Air....
Fantastic scenery on the West Coast
Not too many English (Ooooops :imoutahere: )

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We're looking to do NC500 in mid-September: would you care to share your plans please? :sneaky:

Thanks - Gordon
All I know is we are doing it the opposite way round and going onto Jura as well. We're eating at a lot of lovely seafood restaurants en route. Ralphs the one who's done the planning.
:)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
September in Scotland to die for! It's lovely up there that time of year no miggies either.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Did nc500 in may and june and back around scotland for us, already looking forward tonext year skyewas lovely and harris regards steve

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just one sunset take some beating
20160527_213209.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was told many years ago that a sunset on the west coast of Scotland can reduce a grown man to tears, I can now confirm they can, well moist eyes at least (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Based on all the very positive responses from you all (thank you) I think I've just about persuaded my beloved that turning left at the end of the M55 and heading north rather than turning right and heading south would be best for us. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions about a good tour of Scotland to consider and some recommended sites along the way. We've only been once before and don't know it well. Got 4 weeks in total to go at. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You have the time, provided budget will allow try and get over to the western isles, ferries have never been better value although still not cheap, the scenery there is awesome, it just keeps getting better the further west you go

a few nice little sites and options for quiet off site stops if wanted

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Based on all the very positive responses from you all (thank you) I think I've just about persuaded my beloved that turning left at the end of the M55 and heading north rather than turning right and heading south would be best for us. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions about a good tour of Scotland to consider and some recommended sites along the way. We've only been once before and don't know it well. Got 4 weeks in total to go at. Thanks again
@Robert Clark did a good foodie free camp trip recently! Some great stuff on there.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Based on all the very positive responses from you all (thank you) I think I've just about persuaded my beloved that turning left at the end of the M55

Good move. I was so out of order suggesting going south, it's so cold and wet in September..........

And the ferries, so dangerous, no safety rails.

sorr1.jpg
sorr2.jpg
sorr3.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Usually do turn right and head south however, we have been dissapointed by the weather down south on the last 2 trips. Had 3 weeks in Dorset in June July this year and 2 weeks in September last year, both trips provided lots of cloud, rain and low temps with some sun but not much. Both trips over 1000 miles and the weather at home up north was much better! Hence the thought of going north in Sept where you don't expect great weather but from what I'm told, you often get it! There's no easy way to get down South either theses days it's a slog, especially if the weather isn't good. We're already planning France in May/June next year when we're a bit more experienced to get a better chance of sunshine! Given up banking on good weather in the south of the UK for this year.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back